M-audio fast track pro

I have a friend that just bought the m-audio usb interface and can’t get it to run on n-track demo. It seems like n-track isn’t reading the usb from m-audio.

It would have been about the last usb I would have suggested, but he has it now and I am trying to find a solution for him.

No I do not know anything about his computer other than it is a PC. I do know that the m-audio is a usb 1 and not a usb 2

Check out
http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.buyers_guides

I think the owner is going to have to contact m-audio costumer service to get an answer unless someone on this forum have the same unit. Even then, it will not be possible to help without knowing the particulars of the specific computer. It never hurts to update any associated drivers and be certain that they are loaded correctly. I hate this answer and suggestion, but Read through their manual amd quick-start guide to see if there is any help there. Computer and audio can be maddening to get working correctly, particularly with a PC.
Good luck and good for you trying to help your friend. If you get details that might help, please post again.
Bax

Is it set up in the Ntrack PReferences? as the audio in/out?

keep shinin

jerm :cool:

Bax3 I really do need to find out more before he finds a tall building to jump from. But he did update all his drivers.

Jeremy that was the first thing I had him do set it to 44.1 and make sure the usb showed up and to make sure the in and out matched.

I am beginning to think that the fact that he has usb 2 and the m-audio is a usb 1 has something to do with it. I can’t think of any other thing at the moment.

Quote: (suerarick @ Apr. 30 2010, 6:21 PM)

Bax3 I really do need to find out more before he finds a tall building to jump from. But he did update all his drivers.

Jeremy that was the first thing I had him do set it to 44.1 and make sure the usb showed up and to make sure the in and out matched.

I am beginning to think that the fact that he has usb 2 and the m-audio is a usb 1 has something to do with it. I can't think of any other thing at the moment.

In your effort to de-bug, make sure the unit is plugged in on it's own, USB inputs always come in pairs so make sure it's by itself to avoid USB v1.1 and v2.0 device conflicts (will always default to v1.1 if the device attached is v1.1 even if a USB v2.0 device is attached to the same port at the same time). The unit may require external speakers in order to hear sound and may record dry. Check to see if a plugin is there, (not all theses' units require plug-ins after to hear wet as most will record wet or dry (like the Line6 UX2 which records wet or dry), not like the Native Instruments Kontrol 1 for example, which records dry and requires the VST plugin to hear wet after recording).

PACO

I am pretty sure any USB 1 would work on a USB port.
Ok, let’s check the audio chain:
It there anything on the unit itself to tell you it is getting a signal from the mics or other input?
Can you hear anything that come through the m-audio? OPen Windows Control Panel and set all the audio to the M-audio. Run a playback software (like Windows Media player) and see if it will play something that is a know working wav file from the computer’s hard drive.

Quote: (suerarick @ Apr. 30 2010, 6:21 PM)

I am beginning to think that the fact that he has usb 2 and the m-audio is a usb 1 has something to do with it. I can't think of any other thing at the moment.

When I had an M-audio firewire device it came with it's own MIXER interface on the computer (which was loaded with the drivers for the device) I think it was the 410 or something.....

Anyway, long story short there were settings inside there specifically for the M-audio device that had to match the ones inside the NTRack Preferences Box.

For instance, the bit setting, (16, or 24bit) AND frequency, as you say 44.1k is set inside NTRACK, but that does not mean the M-audio device is necessarily set to match that, whenever the two were different I would hear NO sound at all, till I set the one to match the other (this happened a lot going form different frequency wav. files)

If you can find the M-audio interface mixer icon on the computer that would be worth looking into, I mean there are volume nobs and mute buttons on various inputs/outputs in there too, one of them could just be muted or down all the way.

keep shinin

jerm :cool:
Quote: (bax3 @ Apr. 30 2010, 8:00 PM)

I am pretty sure any USB 1 would work on a USB port.
Ok, let's check the audio chain:
It there anything on the unit itself to tell you it is getting a signal from the mics or other input?
Can you hear anything that come through the m-audio? OPen Windows Control Panel and set all the audio to the M-audio. Run a playback software (like Windows Media player) and see if it will play something that is a know working wav file from the computer's hard drive.

Yes any v1.1 USB device will work on any USB port. But, all USB ports on most PC's are in pairs, mixing v1.1 devices with v2.0 devices the port (A single pair) can force the USB v2.0 device to run at v1.1 speeds or create a conflict in which it won't run at all. Most USB v2.0 devices will run just fine at v1.1 (Built in backward compatibility) speeds but there are some which will require the higher bandwidth of v2.0 USB and this is where the problems begin to happen. Devices like cameras, sound systems and sound cards are typical examples of USB v2.0 devices which need the large bandwidth. Thats why it's a good idea not to mix USB v1.1 and v2.0 devices on the same USB port pair. I've run into plenty of these compatibility issues with USB/USB2 over the years. I hope this information is helpful.

PACO

Update: He gave up and is getting a different interface.

I he looking for suggestions? This forum would be a good place to get suggestions if supplied with the requirement . . . That requirement that is actually work is a sticky wicket.
Bax

If he’s on Vista then he may be better off with something else. I have an M-Audio USB device that just stops working. After cold reboots, unplugging and replugging the device, I can get it to randomly start working again for a while. This isn’t specific to n-Tracks. Seems like the best drivers M-Audio have aren’t very good.

I can think of four or five top consumer based audio interface producers who’s “Vista” drivers leave a lot to be desired!

Vista is just one mistake of an OS, my advice to anyone is to stick with Xp devices or get something newer that came out of the box with 7 drivers.

This is not something exclusive to Ntrack, take a look at any of the top five DAW software’s help forums, they are riddled with Vista problems concerning audio hardware ever since vista came out it has been nothing but an thorn in the heel of audiophile’s around the world.

keep shinin

jerm
:cool: