Mastering 101

Mastering 101

Nice summary on mastering in layman’s terms.
Poppa, tried to go visit that learjeff.com site to listen to stuff by the author of that article but all I got was pop-ups. Any thoughts on where he may have relocated online?

Thx pop’s

Quote: (GeoffO @ Aug. 20 2009, 1:52 PM)

Nice summary on mastering in layman's terms.
Poppa, tried to go visit that learjeff.com site to listen to stuff by the author of that article but all I got was pop-ups. Any thoughts on where he may have relocated online?

I have a current email on him - I'll ask. Most of his stuff was left on the n-Track wiki - search him and learn.
I'll let you know if I get a current web address.

Thanks Poppa. Did a search on this site for “learjeff and mastering” and read a bunch of threads with useful info. on compression, normalizing, and limiting.

My personal favorite line of his:

Quote:

The genres that tend to be way overcompressed are hard rock and its variations.

The man speaketh the truth!

Yep - quite a guy too. Knows his stuff. Did you search the wiki? He posted there a bit as I recall.

I wish that were true. EVERYTHING on pop radio is over crushed anymore. However, there are 1000 more things to mastering above what is on that wiki. A typical compressor alone has at least a half dozen approaches you can use in a typical scenario depending on what you want to do… parallel compression, hard smashing, M/S mixed with these… Multistage compression etc. etc… Then multiband, again, there is a zillion ways to use it depending on if you want smoothing, enhancement, tonal shaping… then EQ. Mastering is a great big world and really, if you have a choice between mastering your stuff and having someone else do it… have someone else do it. Most folks are too close to their mixes to make objective tweaks. I don’t master my stuff if I can at all help it. Sure, I throw on a limiter from time to time to make something loud for utility purposes, but final products? Not feasible. I already have the mix as close to perfect as I think it can get… for me to master it is just moving stuff around on the plate.

Looked at various stuff in the wiki, Poppa. I’ll read more as time permits.
Did enjoy Jezar’s articles on reverb and eq under the “effects” section…

Quote: (Bubbagump @ Aug. 21 2009, 3:01 PM)

I wish that were true. EVERYTHING on pop radio is over crushed anymore. However, there are 1000 more things to mastering above what is on that wiki. A typical compressor alone has at least a half dozen approaches you can use in a typical scenario depending on what you want to do... parallel compression, hard smashing, M/S mixed with these... Multistage compression etc. etc.. Then multiband, again, there is a zillion ways to use it depending on if you want smoothing, enhancement, tonal shaping..... then EQ. Mastering is a great big world and really, if you have a choice between mastering your stuff and having someone else do it... have someone else do it. Most folks are too close to their mixes to make objective tweaks. I don't master my stuff if I can at all help it. Sure, I throw on a limiter from time to time to make something loud for utility purposes, but final products? Not feasible. I already have the mix as close to perfect as I think it can get... for me to master it is just moving stuff around on the plate.

Geez Bubba... I thought you just dropped a MB comp on the master, set EVERYTHING to 11 (or 12) and render! There's MORE to it!?!? LOL...

:laugh:

Seriously; Friends don't let friends do their own mastering. Besides, I can barely stand listening to my own stuff long enough to take a crack at mixing it! :p

The CD my old band cut in 2003 most definitely SUFFERED because we skimped on the mastering...

D

Jack seems to do some pretty nice mastering.

Jack who?

Huge “Jack” Ass

Friends say; cut a little here, add a little their, sounding good keep workin it and oh yeah by the way send all the paying types to my site. :)

So far as I can tell, his stuff hasn’t been mastered. If it has, they have used a very light touch as the transients are all intact and I think the 2.5Khz area is a tad harsh, sub sonics a bid cruddy (not terrible, just a bit) etc… I think you can chalk his stuff up to simply a very good mix. If I had to guess… he simply mixes it and normalizes.

Yea but you have an audiomind!
Do you think audiomindset.com is copin your name? :)
I hate to think like an engineer!
It’s so durn, L and R!
:laugh:

I appreciate you bubba! :agree: