Merging spliced tracks

Merge

How do I lock or merge spliced sections of a track?

I have a piece where I spliced a new ending onto all of the tracks and I have them lined up correctly but they are not locked to the original beginning.

I don’t want them to get separated as I add overdubs.

This is just the drums and bass and rhythm guitar track.

I looked at the help file which is pretty pathetic and the FAQ.

Right click on the selected track and select consolidate tracks under the “takes option”. This will create a single take instead of multiple takes.

PACO

Quote: (Paco572 @ Jan. 26 2011, 5:35 PM)

Right click on the selected track and select consolidate tracks under the "takes option". This will create a single take instead of multiple takes.

PACO

:agree:

If they are separate tracks - you can just mixdown the two tracks to a new track that contains both track as one.
I “splice” in parts all the time.
As long as you save the N-track .sng file (File > Save) there you can always go back to the situation.

Right click on the selected track and select consolidate tracks under the "takes option". This will create a single take instead of multiple takes.

PACO

Hey Thanks Y'all! I'll give that a shot...

PACO

Well, so much for that. I tried this and there is no option to consolidate under the "takes" menu. I am running the the latest version 6.1.1 under Windows.

Hi, BigDaddySun. Could you upload a screen shot?

Quote: (TonyR @ Jan. 27 2011, 2:24 AM)

Hi, BigDaddySun. Could you upload a screen shot?

Here's a screen shot showing the pop-up menu and you can see the spliced endings on the tracks on the right side.

The end section is from the same wave file. Could that have something to do with it? We had a good take with sloppy ending so we recorded several takes with just the last 12 bars or so an the same file. This was not recorded in N-track. I use my Akai DPS16 for creating the tracks and then transfer them to the computer for overdubs and mix.
Quote: (BigDaddySun @ Jan. 26 2011, 4:53 PM)

How do I lock or merge spliced sections of a track?

I have a piece where I spliced a new ending onto all of the tracks and I have them lined up correctly but they are not locked to the original beginning.

I don't want them to get separated as I add overdubs.

This is just the drums and bass and rhythm guitar track.

I looked at the help file which is pretty pathetic and the FAQ.

Could it be that N-Track doesn't see this as a splice because the sections come from the same sound file? I guess I can switch to destructive edit mode and that will make the changes permanent, correct?

Try my suggestion: Mixdown the tracks to a new file.
Bax

I’m with bax on that,

once the files are encoded at that computers baud rate it may bridge the gap,

If you were to make a click track inside NTrack (or Audacity) you will see after a while they stray from the other devices timing, even tho both machines are running at 24bit 96k…but I digress… ???

dontcare

Urhm. Soz guys, awake-ish, now;-)
Never done ‘this’ exactly but lots of similar and I’m sure Bax and Dontcare are spot-on. Just a thought, though - I can’t tell if you are using the grid (zoom level etc) but I’ve had some interesting moments where I found that; un-grouping parts, removing grid, adjust section length, re-apply grid and re-snap-to-grid with single and multiple tracks to have been the only way to had achieved the objective. I’m imagining this is, as you say, something to do with the wav file?

The problem with grids in this type of situation is that sound wave are not perfectly spaced as they would be in a midi - that is, the spacing is not an absolute. Working with sound files, I zoom in as close as I can and try to match up the wave forms as best I can - if it sound Ok, then it is Ok. A snap-to would probably not put thinks in the right place. I have used the grid to line things up, but usually just setting the cursor where the break comes works. Frequently, I will place the splice on separate tracks and fade in from one track to a fade out on the other - if there are several tracks, I try to make the fades non-consistent, so they don’t hit all at once. The trouble with fitting them, butt joint, is that there can be a pop created if there is a space left, or the wave forms don’t match ( a quick up fitted to a quick down.)
Hope this helps,
Bax

Quote: (bax3 @ Jan. 27 2011, 2:28 PM)

The problem with grids in this type of situation is that sound wave are not perfectly spaced as they would be in a midi - that is, the spacing is not an absolute.
Working with sound files, I zoom in as close as I can and try to match up the wave forms as best I can - if it sound Ok, then it is Ok.
A snap-to would probably not put thinks in the right place.
I have used the grid to line things up, but usually just setting the cursor where the break comes works.
Frequently, I will place the splice on separate tracks and fade in from one track to a fade out on the other - if there are several tracks, I try to make the fades non-consistent, so they don't hit all at once.
The trouble with fitting them, butt joint, is that there can be a pop created if there is a space left, or the wave forms don't match ( a quick up fitted to a quick down.)
Hope this helps,
Bax

I'm with you Bax. I wasn't suggesting he use the grid, more like, wondering if he is?
Quote: (bax3 @ Jan. 27 2011, 12:24 PM)

Try my suggestion: Mixdown the tracks to a new file.
Bax

Thats what I would do as BAX mentioned. Also you need to consider a few things when you do this. First make sure no effect/vst's are on the track. Eq's set to ZERO. The point is to preserve the tracks original sound when mix down, you can always reload it into n-track and apply afterwards should you want to.

As far as "takes" are concerned, when one is created you'll notice a couple of things. The file will indicate the word "take" but the wave file name will remain the same. The parts can then be un grouped and given there own file name. In your case, this step was skipped unintentionally and so, the options that are available for the separation or even joining of "takes" was not possible.

Perhaps you could post a "Feature Request" and ask Flavio to add the function, "Create single file for this track" as a right click option. I think it would be a good idea if you do to include a link to this thread so Flavio can see the idea and reasons for it.

PACO