metronome doesnt keep time

I added a SB 128 soundcard to my comp for better midi timing but I cant get it to work.Im running a HP750N and the stock SoundMax card.after configuring to the new card,no sound on the meters and no metronome sound unless I changed the settings to the SG wavetable synth.please help! Thanks

Tell us a little more… you’ve got two soundcards? Drivers loaded for both? Can both be seen in N-track? Presumably you’ve got your speakers/headphones plugged into which ever card you want to be active.

What drivers can you see in the midi preferences in N-track?

The MIDI output for the active card enabled in the Windows mixer (Playback) controls?

Mark

Well,I have the onboard audio(audio in,out,and mic)Then at the lower back of comp an empty spot for the sound card.On Ntrack,on the metronome options show both MSGS and the SB128.but only clicks using GS.I dounloaded the driver for it and still nothing.

Which output are the speakers plugged into? What is the default wave output as set in the Windows Control Panel Audio settings? What is the audio wave output device selected in n-Tracks? If you have wave output and MS GS synth the it may be that you are still playing waves from the motherboard audio.

It’s TONS easier to take a few seconds and just make an audio track with a click/metronome in it.

It’ll ALWAYS sync up with your other audio tracks…

Quote (phoo @ July 09 2005,17:32)
Which output are the speakers plugged into? What is the default wave output as set in the Windows Control Panel Audio settings? What is the audio wave output device selected in n-Tracks? If you have wave output and MS GS synth the it may be that you are still playing waves from the motherboard audio.

I set the default to the SB128 and pluged the input sorce and speakers into the new card and got no sound,metronome or autio from guitar.Whent to control panel and set SB 128 as default as well.....

<!–QuoteBegin>

…and speakers into the new card and got no sound…

Need to solve that before worrying about MIDI. Do wave files play from other apps out of the PCI128?
Quote (phoo @ July 10 2005,13:17)
...and speakers into the new card and got no sound....

Need to solve that before worrying about MIDI. Do wave files play from other apps out of the PCI128?
yes ,I had some wave files playing.The only reasin I got that card(SB128) was I was told it would make the Ntrack metronome more accurate than the MS GS wavesynth as the MS was only good for crappy midi files on web pages.I'm running guitar,vocals,bass,and digital drums into a Digitech
RP-7 then into the computers input,then out to a home stereo systm.I have no way to produce a click track and need the Ntrack metronome.

<!–QuoteBegin>

yes, I had some wave files playing.

I’m not following, or I’ve missed something.

You had waves playing out the SoundMax and MIDI working via the GS Synth out the SoundMax. That’ irrelevent at this point.

Do you or do you not have waves playing out the PC128? What you said so far sounds like you don’t.

yes ,I could play song files.the problem is only with Ntrack.Plugged into the SB128 and no guitar or metronome.The only way I could here it was swiching the metronome section back to MSgs witch cant hold a steady tempo.

Sorry, I’m being dense. I still can’t quite figure out what you have and what you don’t have.
<!–QuoteBegin>

yes ,I could play song files.

What do you mean by song files? Do you mean n-Tracks sng files (n-Track’s song files)? Do you mean wav files (wave files also played by other applications)? What do you mean by “could”? Do you mean that you can no longer play n-Tracks songs?

I assume you mean yes, you can play wave files out the SB128, and still can. If that is what you mean then that rules out a lot of potential issues.

<!–QuoteBegin>
the problem is only with Ntrack.

Since the original problem is with syncing the MIDI metronome in n-Tracks and you saying that you don’t have MIDI/wave file sync problems in other apps? Which apps are working ok? Knowing that – the differences – might help figure out what to do in n-Tracks to get it working. I can only assume from this statement that MIDI is working in other apps and that the synth is NOT the GS synth. That being the case squarely points back to a configuration problem in n-Tracks…the hardware synth on there SB128 works fine in other apps but not in n-Tracks.

<!–QuoteBegin>
Plugged into the SB128 and no guitar or metronome.

Let’s not be worried about input at all yet. That’s a totally separate issue than MIDI sync.

<!–QuoteBegin>
The only way I could here it was swiching the metronome section back to MSgs witch cant hold a steady tempo.

I assume you mean the only way to hear the metronome was to switch the selected MIDI device back to MS GS Synth. What was the selection when it couldn’t be heard? For that matter what are all the MIDI devices available as metronome devices? This may be at the root of the configuration problem since the SB128 hardware synth is working in all other apps. What is the currently selected MIDI device in the apps that work?

I know I’m asking a lot of questions but the specific answers tell a lot about a few things. Most of the time what may be very obvious when sitting in front of a machine isn’t obvious at all when reading the description in print. That’s why I asked a lot of really dumb questions. I need to make that obvious picture in my head.

A few other things to try and to think about are…drivers drivers drivers (and old running mantra). May sure you have the very latest drivers for your OS from Creative. The SB128 card is pretty old, making the latests drivers very necessary. Are there kx drivers for the PC128? If so you probably should use those. Part two…disable the SoundMax in the BIOS. That should get rid of it totally, meaning it won’t be selected as the default - the SB128 will. A conflict might be interfering with the MIDI hardware synth on the SB128. I’ve conflicts where there were not obvious conflict — stuff just didn’t work, period, but otherwise was working perfectly according to Windows Device Manager.

Be sure you set N up to use your SB’s MIDI synth.

- Preferences -> MIDI Settings -> Devices – make sure the SB is selected
- Metronome -> make sure SB is set as the sound source

Be sure to try both settings for “Preferences -> MIDI Settings -> Advanced -> Keep Devices Open”. Some cards like it one way, some like it the other, and some don’t care.

Be sure to set “Preferences -> MIDI Settings -> Timer to use” to Wave, but if that doesn’t work, try it at “System”. Wave is better – it gets timing from your soundcard rather than your PC’s internal clock, which is not engineered for stability or accuracy.

Finally, a SB card isn’t really the best way to generate a click track, because you have to loop the output to the input (unless the SB has a way to do that internally using the soundcard’s mixer), and because to generate the click track you have to do it in real time – that is, taking 5 minutes to generate a 5-minute click track wave file.

A better method, but which takes a bit of setup the first time, is to use a MIDI track and a MIDI plugin softsynth (“VSTi” or “DXi”). For example, you can use “sfz” which is a soundfont player, and load any soundfont into it that has a good click sound, and then build a click track by painting in MIDI notes. Then, you render it to audio using the offline mixdown feature.

But, here’s how I do it. I use an external synth, which is pretty much the same as you using the SB’s synth. I feed the synth’s output into my line inputs (easy for me, I have a hardware mixer so I just push some buttons). I create a MIDI track with about 16 measures of click in it, and play the MIDI track while recording audio (just as you’d need to do with the SB). This gives me a 16-measure long click wave file.

Next, I use drag/copy/paste to build a timeline for the song (in a new audio track). I drag to select the whole click part and COPY. Then I paste in 1 or 2 measures of click before the song starts, and then paste in the number of measures for each verse and chorus. When I’m done, I have nice visual indicators where each part of the song begins – joints in the click track. I do all this with the grid on, of course, so it’s very quick and easy after getting the hang of it. After that I usually delete the first audio track and MIDI track, unless there’s something special about the MIDI click track (like, it’s a programmed drum track rather than just a click).

HTH :)