MIDI_0

If you goobs promise not to blast my azz for mentioning it…

A real handy feature in that OTHER DAW (rhymes with Keeper) … When you import a MIDI file (from the dialog box OR drag-n-drop) it auto-detects the format and prompts the user for whut to do. Sometimes it’s handy to split a MIDI Type 1 file into separate tracks on the time line. Maybe you just want the drums or bass or whatever. Why clutter up your screen with extra junk you don’t want/need. Let it split it for you, delete the tracks you don’t want.

It would be a worthy addition here I think.

UJ

Even before the update, it was possible to delete individual midi tracks in midi type 1.

Quote: (TonyR @ Oct. 25 2010, 1:58 PM)

Even before the update, it was possible to delete individual midi tracks in midi type 1.

Sure. But does it auto-detect and offer to bust 'em up for you on import? I ain't used n in forever...

UJ
Quote: (jeremysdemo @ Oct. 25 2010, 1:41 PM)

I would however like to know how my device (GNX4) is playing various instruments from various tracks (drums on channel 10, bass on channel 5 and various other data being sent only on particular channels etc etc) if they are all on one track.

IS there a way to have multiple channels on one track?

MIDI 1: Multiple tracks, multiple channels per track. (At least according to the spec. I don't know if N supports this in its editor.)
MIDI 0: Single track, multiple channels on that one track.

The way it differentiates a bass from a piano is

A: Instrument change events
B: Different channels

So at the beginning of the sequence it likely sends "Channel 1, Piano" "Channel 2, Bass" etc and then all notes transmitted on channel 1 are piano and all notes on channel 2 are bass.

Etc and so forth.

The synth itself knows nothing of tracks. Tracks are simply a thing to make things easier for us humans to edit our sequences. Synths only know channels and events.

Holy shat!! Somebody done emailed me a MIDI Type 666 file! What the hayull do I do wi’ dat??

UJ

Quote: (Bubbagump @ Oct. 26 2010, 1:06 PM)

Quote: (jeremysdemo @ Oct. 25 2010, 1:41 PM)

I would however like to know how my device (GNX4) is playing various instruments from various tracks (drums on channel 10, bass on channel 5 and various other data being sent only on particular channels etc etc) if they are all on one track.

IS there a way to have multiple channels on one track?

MIDI 1: Multiple tracks, multiple channels per track. (At least according to the spec. I don't know if N supports this in its editor.)
MIDI 0: Single track, multiple channels on that one track.

The way it differentiates a bass from a piano is

A: Instrument change events
B: Different channels

So at the beginning of the sequence it likely sends "Channel 1, Piano" "Channel 2, Bass" etc and then all notes transmitted on channel 1 are piano and all notes on channel 2 are bass.

Etc and so forth.

The synth itself knows nothing of tracks. Tracks are simply a thing to make things easier for us humans to edit our sequences. Synths only know channels and events.

That is very interesting Bubba.

But it still does not explain how midi files that are in format Midi_0 in my device, when I import them back into Ntrack all the "Channels" are on their own tracks again, it's not like when I do midi merge and all the notes go to one track.

That's the part what is getting me, and which made it hard for me to understand the difference (both file types look the same in the editor, in other editors to)

keep shinin

jerm :cool:
Quote: (jeremysdemo @ Oct. 26 2010, 9:52 PM)

But it still does not explain how midi files that are in format Midi_0 in my device, when I import them back into Ntrack all the "Channels" are on their own tracks again, it's not like when I do midi merge and all the notes go to one track.

Cause Ntrack chops things up by channel automatically.... which assumes the user wants it to do that?
Quote: (Bubbagump @ Oct. 27 2010, 9:58 AM)

Cause Ntrack chops things up by channel automatically.... which assumes the user wants it to do that?

That's why I was asking... thanks.

So n just busts it up for you with NO prompting? What if (and I often DO) I wanna keep it all in one? Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't...

UJ

PS Okay... I ALWAYS feel like a nut... that's beside the point.
Quote: (Bubbagump @ Oct. 27 2010, 9:58 AM)

So are you saying if a take one of the midi_0 files and open them in another DAW it is only going to be one track?

keep shinin

Yes.

Not so far in Sonar, multiple tracks, Midi_0.
Protracks, multiple tracks, Midi_0.

One thing I have noticed converting to Midi_0 does tho is if you have multiple tracks of drums all on channel 10 they become ONE track when saved as Midi_0.

I wonder how NTrack 6.1.1. treats these tracks now that Midi_0 is able to be saved…

Anyone?

keep shinin

Hrm, interesting. Come to think of it, I sort of remember my ancient Cakewalk copy (Cakewalk Pro 9 :) ) Doing the same thing.

Maybe Cakewalk chops things up by channel automatically… which assumes the user wants it to do that too?

My Sonar is Home Studio 7 registered version, but I guess this what to expect from any DAW software in that price range and under?

There must be something more to this Midi_0 and the difference between how sequencer devices play midi files as one track, and how the computer displays them as many, than just the price or quality of the DAW.

keep shinin

Jeremy,

Download a copy of Reaper. See how it handles MIDI files. Works great.

No propaganda… just sayin’… if you’re having trouble, there is a solution.

UJ

What does this have to do with DAW price or quality? I thought we were just curious to the difference between the MIDI 0 and 1 format? As far as how a DAW or hardware device handles the file, that is up to the designer.

Quote: (Bubbagump @ Oct. 28 2010, 11:45 AM)

What does this have to do with DAW price or quality? I thought we were just curious to the difference between the MIDI 0 and 1 format? As far as how a DAW or hardware device handles the file, that is up to the designer.

Well to me everything when it comes to software is price point and quality/value per dollar related.

If a company has more money obviously they are going to be able to invest in more teams of programmers, as apposed to say a single person or smaller company with less capitol, and therefor will then be able to incorporate a variety of things that are time/resource related into the software.

So in this case there is a company with a sizable amount of capitol and resources (cakewalk) that has the same feature for Midi_0 files (showing each part as individual tracks and assuming the user wants that) as Ntrack, so the evidence lends one to postulate that perhaps this is a common property for DAWs regardless of price point.

which leads to two questions.....

What DAWs are you using that open MIDI_0 files and show all the parts (channels) as one track?
And what advantages are their for that feature the programmers of these DAWs found it necessary to write code to display the files that way in the editor?

keep shinin

midi is a standard. Manufacturers can only chose which features to include - or not.
Didn’t those hardware midi song file player thingymajigs use type 1?

http://www.midi.org/aboutmidi/tut_midifiles.php

One of mine (the GNX4) which is a hardware midi file player thingamajoogy plays MIDI_0.

However, my Palm M125 plays both, but technically that is a software app on a hardware device running on a Mac OS, me thinks.

keep shinin

Quote: (jeremysdemo @ Oct. 28 2010, 1:06 PM)

What DAWs are you using that open MIDI_0 files and show all the parts (channels) as one track?

I already mentioned, REAPER gives you the option to split or NOT when you open a MIDI Type 0 file.

Quote:

And what advantages are their for that feature the programmers of these DAWs found it necessary to write code to display the files that way in the editor?

Well... I'd rather open a MIDI 0 file, bust it up for easier editing without so much clutter myself... Then if I want, save it again as MIDI 0 so my other software or gee-whiz gadget can play it.

MIDI is not magic. It's just channels and events. For all practical purposes, only two file 'types' or formats. Study up, get the right tools... easy.

HTH,

UJ
Quote: (jeremysdemo @ Oct. 28 2010, 1:06 PM)

See my post a few pages ago. Tracks are easier for a human to deal with rather than a single heap of MIDI.