MIDI_0

WANTED FORMAT ADDITION!

I have mentioned this several times in the past few years, in the suggested features thread, the ntrack 5.0 thread…

But here goes once again.

PLEASE include an option to save midi files as format MIDI_0 in the next version.

All the other programs I own have been doing it for years, Sonar, ProTracks, Cakewalk, Finale ect etc,.

Do this for me and I will kick in the extra shilling for 6.1 even tho I don’t need it yet.

[/rant]

jerm :cool:

Hi jeremysdemo:

Can you describe how you’d use this?
Lots of informational detail, in your reply, please…

I don’t use MIDI and know less about that part of music creativity…

Bill…

I would use to to click “SAVE” instead of format MIDI_1, Ntrack has built in.

FILE>Export MIDI file>Save as type>MIDI files (.mid)

this "
.mid" is format MIDI_1, I want to save as MIDI_0.

In the other programs mentioned MIDI_0 is just an option in the SAVE AS area, in Ntrack it is under EXPORT midi FILE, and not listed as a format.
It’s a pain in the but for me because every time I edit a midi file in Ntrack I have to then open it in one of these other programs in order to save it in MIDI_0 format, or use a converter, the problem with it is every time you take a MIDI_1 file and open it in another program just to save it as MIDI_0 format it saves all the pan and volume data on the faders TWICE, which clutters up the midi events (especially if you are doing this over and over like me) every time it adds those same commands into the file.

IF Ntrack would have the option to save as MIDI_0 format it would make the files playable in my sequencer devices and forgo the need for me to keep converting them in other programs.

keep shinin

I thiink you should sugest this to Flavio. Drop him an email at the support address. :agree:

Done.

keep shinin

Jerm! I’ll back this up. It’s never been an issue for me in Micro World, but it does make sense.

Ok, enough votes… :) I’ll add support for MIDI type 0 file export in v6.1.1

Flavio.

[Flavio_blowup]
I have to admit this is one of the reasons I really love n-Track. Sure there are issues… but point me to a software package that doesn’t. As a programmer/software engineer myself, I know exactly how difficult it can be to get a response from the lead of a software project. Just try and get a word into the lead of an ERP package…geez! And typically those responses don’t yield the results we get from Flavio. Thank you sir! :slight_smile:
[/Flavio_blowup]

Quote: (Flavio Antonioli @ Oct. 20 2010, 4:26 AM)

Ok, enough votes... :) I'll add support for MIDI type 0 file export in v6.1.1

Flavio.

AWESOME Flav.

If I have said it once I have said it a thousand times, You da man!

Hey haters, try getting that done over at Reaper! lol

keep shinin

Quote: (bbrown @ Oct. 20 2010, 8:28 AM)

[Flavio_blowup]
As a programmer/software engineer myself, I know exactly how difficult it can be to get a response from the lead of a software project. Just try and get a word into the lead of an ERP package...geez! And typically those responses don't yield the results we get from Flavio. Thank you sir! :-)
[/Flavio_blowup]

tell me about it.

I recently purchased a midi software program called Mixpad for the Palm M series device so I can make changes to songs on planes, trains, and automobiles or in the bathroom crapper before a gig without a computer only to find out they are dropping support for the palm M series devices.
The thing is when I researched portable midi devices that could go in ones shirt pocket the Palm M125 and two others were recommended by the Mixpad software company on their site (over newer phones and such) for running midi hardware (like sound modules) now they are discontinuing support of software of these older devices (which were supposed to be better for hardware use) and only advancing the software's that are used on the iphone and such.

IT's a shame really because with the solidness of the old Palm M series (uses AA batteries instead of the proprietary cell phone ones) and the reliability of the software platform (mixpad, beatpad, etc) they had a nitch market of serious portable pocket size midi composition tool not seen since the Roland PMA5 that is now going to be used as toy for people's cell phones.

You are a software programmer?

Maybe you can pick up the ball were these guys dropped it.

Flav...are you listening? there is money to be made here, I paid $22 for a simple midi program and it requires virtually no graphic programming (*the palms are gray screen and very low res) no wav. drivers, etc etc

NTRack for PALMS! lol

keep shinin

Quote: (jeremysdemo @ Oct. 20 2010, 1:20 PM)

Hey haters, try getting that done over at Reaper! lol

keep shinin

What the hell for? It's already there since ummm... FOREVER... sonny.

Don't even try comparing development of n to Reaper. That's like comparing a '73 Vega to a Lamborghini Diablo...

If n works for you, have fun, enjoy... but it is by no means in the same DAW upper class as Reaper. Sorry Charlie... truth. Oh yeah... Reaper costs less. I don't 'hate' nuttin'... cept ingnorance... You figure it out.

:D

UJ

PS I'ma pick one now...

Quote: (Unblown_Jonson @ Oct. 21 2010, 9:11 AM)

If n works for you, have fun, enjoy... but it is by no means in the same DAW upper class as Reaper. Sorry Charlie... truth. Oh yeah... Reaper costs less. I don't 'hate' nuttin'... cept ingnorance... You figure it out.

Reaper is a relatively new kid on the block,(2006) give them ten years and see where the price is, if it stays relative to inflation.

I purchased Ntrack in 98 for $35,
when I go click the Ntrack 6x icon on the front page and go to paypal it says $34. (I don't know if that is the current price)

Reapers current price is,

Quote:

$150 full / $40 discounted Free upgrades through REAPER 4.99

The planned price for Reaper 4.0 is:

Quote:

$225 full /(commercial) $60 discounted

Ntrack makes no higher price for commercial use.

You got to read the fine print.
Quote:

Please download and evaluate REAPER fully before purchasing; all purchases are final.

Ntrack allows 30 refund if you are not happy with the paid version.

Dispelling ignorance, by all means do.

Me not saying Reaper bad Ntrack good they both seem good to me...but then again I'm not going over to the Reaper forums bashing reaper and praising Ntrack.

If you have a personal experience like this where the developers of Reaper put something exclusive in the program on your request by all means share it and I will be happy to recant my statement with sincerest apology to them and you.

keep shinin

Quote:

You got to read the fine print.

Uh-huh... you go back and read the fine print junior. If it ain't obvious, maybe there's a reading comprehension issue?

Quote:

Dispelling ignorance, by all means do.

Hayull far! I can't keep it up mang... Pretty soon I'll be here by myself! LOL

UJ

PS I'm Venus Bound Bayyybayyyy... I'ma building me a rockit sheeyup...

brilliant rebuttal… :laugh:

keep shinin

Not to be thick, but how exactly do the two midi things differ? I’ve done the importing and exporting thing, and never noticed anything about this. Anyway, it’s in the software now. :)

Quote: (TomS @ Oct. 25 2010, 11:39 AM)

Not to be thick, but how exactly do the two midi things differ? I've done the importing and exporting thing, and never noticed anything about this.
Anyway, it's in the software now.
:)

cool...time to upgrade! :) FLav said it would be in 6.1.1

Honestly Tom I don't know what the difference is...
I just know the GNX4 and a few other sequencers only play one format and MIDI_1 ain't it.

When you open them up in any editor they pretty much look the same (except for the layout of the editor) in either format as well as they should they are the exact same midi file,....

in the immortal words of that smart kid from Jersey...it's all the same, only the names have changed, everything seems it's wasting away...

keep shinin

this is what answer.com has to say:
"A Format 0 file (Midi 0) contains a single track and represents a single song performance. Format 1 (Midi 1) may contain any number of tracks, enabling preservation of the sequencer track structure, and also represents a single song performance. Format 2 (Midi 2) may have any number of tracks, each representing a separate song performance.

==JSNL==
In general a MIDI file can contain 16 channels, which can each contain one or more tracks.
For instance, drums are by default recorded using channel 10.
Now you can put all drumparts on one track, but you can also make separate tracks for each drum instrument, like bassdrum, snare, hi-hat, hi-tom, lo-tom, crash, etc. This might come in handy if you want to edit the track later on.
Each of these drumtracks will be appointed to channel 10.

Now if you save file this to format midi1, all tracks will be saved separately, although they are on the same channel.

If you save the same file to format midi0 however, all tracks that are on the same channel will be merged into one single track.

Midi2 is not a fileformat, but an extension to the GM standard, and is actually called General MIDI 2

Great news for shuttling single midi tracks around.

Quote: (bax3 @ Oct. 25 2010, 12:43 PM)

this is what answer.com has to say:
"A Format 0 file (Midi 0) contains a single track and represents a single song performance. Format 1 (Midi 1) may contain any number of tracks, enabling preservation of the sequencer track structure, and also represents a single song performance. Format 2 (Midi 2) may have any number of tracks, each representing a separate song performance.

==JSNL==
In general a MIDI file can contain 16 channels, which can each contain one or more tracks.
For instance, drums are by default recorded using channel 10.
Now you can put all drumparts on one track, but you can also make separate tracks for each drum instrument, like bassdrum, snare, hi-hat, hi-tom, lo-tom, crash, etc. This might come in handy if you want to edit the track later on.
Each of these drumtracks will be appointed to channel 10.

Now if you save file this to format midi1, all tracks will be saved separately, although they are on the same channel.

If you save the same file to format midi0 however, all tracks that are on the same channel will be merged into one single track.

Midi2 is not a fileformat, but an extension to the GM standard, and is actually called General MIDI 2

I don't know how correct that wiki is.

I would however like to know how my device (GNX4) is playing various instruments from various tracks (drums on channel 10, bass on channel 5 and various other data being sent only on particular channels etc etc) if they are all on one track.

IS there a way to have multiple channels on one track?

And when I bring them back into Ntrack out of the Midi_0 format all the instruments are still on their respective tracks and channels (not one track or channel for all of them) there has to be some way the channels are still keeping there respective data....since I have so many sysEx data's and program changes being sent if they were going to a single channel all kinds of wrong things would be happening to the wrong devices.

keep shinin