midi/ audio synch

Help with midi/ audi synchronization

I’ve used n-track for audio recording for many years and haven’t had any overdubbiing problems. I’m just starting to use a usb keyboard and vst/ midi instruments and can’t figure out the right settings to synch the overdubs properly either to each other or to audio tracks. I also ca’nt get the " ask for ready before recording" feature to work even though its checked in the prefs. I use a delta 1010lt and have a fairly powerful pc so I don’t think that’s the issue. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Larry

Please tell us the build number of N_track you are using along with the equipment and how you are handling the imputs for audio and midi.
One thing (in my experience) that can be an almost universal sync problem is the LIVE button. If does not need to be pushed to record live. It opens the playback so that effects (reverb, EQ, and such) can be heard as a recording is made - almost always adds too much latency for proper sync.
Bax

Hi Bax,
Thanks for responding so quickly. I found the problem which was that I needed to change the timer in the midi preferences from “System” to “Wave”. I also set the recording mode to “Audio and Midi” and shut off the “Live Input Processing” button. Now the audio and midi tracks synch properly.

This is an excellent thread. I’m going to move to the tips thread.

PACO

Moved to tips section

PACO

You mean you can turn off the live button? (or keep it from coming on?)

I would love to know how you managed that, since it comes on automatically every time I try to play a midi file through a VST/sf2 player, very annoying to have to click it off all the time…and even more annoying if I forget about it and press PLAY!!!..then have to wait as the entire song skips along erratically until it finally ends and I can press STOP, or it doesn’t and I have to reboot to get out of it. :disagree:

keep shinin

jerm :cool:

I would agree that the midi implementation is difficult. The “live input processing” feature is confusing especially since each midi track also has a “live” button which seems to have no effect when toggled on and off. It’s also rather tricky to set up vsti instruments properly since they need to be configured in the “midi echo” dialog and in each tracks individual properties dialog as well. Like you, I noticed that the live button comes on automatically when a vst instrument is loaded.

I’m not sure why switching to wave timing in the midi
settings cleared up my synch problems but at least it’s all working now.
I’m a big fan of n-track and just turned down a xmas gift of Ableton Live because I still think n-track does as good or better job for what I need. I’m sure Flavio and crew will improve the midi functionality over time.

I don’t have any midi problems right now with Ntrack, my only problem is the live button, if I knew how to remove it and toss it into a large abyss I would.
After a decade of using this program I can’t fathom a time, place or reason I would ever need it or regret that toss… ???

keep shinin

jerm :cool:

Quote: (bigroad @ Dec. 27 2009, 9:30 PM)

I would agree that the midi implementation is difficult. The "live input processing" feature is confusing especially since each midi track also has a "live" button which seems to have no effect when toggled on and off. It's also rather tricky to set up vsti instruments properly since they need to be configured in the "midi echo" dialog and in each tracks individual properties dialog as well. Like you, I noticed that the live button comes on automatically when a vst instrument is loaded.

I'm not sure why switching to wave timing in the midi
settings cleared up my synch problems but at least it's all working now.

The "live" button is for monitoring live performances with your midi controller. the monitor live input on the tracks allow you to select with track with vsti's you want to arm for monitoring. they have no effect if the "live" button is not on. (also works the same way for audio tracks) the "live" button also allows you to preview sounds on the piano roll.

The wave, system timer, is the word clock. I've found that wave is the better choice because its actually the soundcards internal word clock. the system timer runs on the cpu's timing which is not as nearly reliable.