midi timing mess up-n-track's fault/soundcard's?

i have an audigy 2, and use soundfonts.

I Record midi notes and such as a track in n-track, and for several versions now, when I am playing back a midi track, it often plays ok, but sometimes a measure or whatever will have 1 note, like a 1/4 note, that will play as an 1/8. I try it again, and it does the same, then the third time, it plays correctly.

This is causing HUGE problems when I record the midi track to a wave file?

help?

<!–QuoteBegin>

This is causing HUGE problems when I record the midi track to a wave file?

Are you using VSTi’s. If so you can do a straight mixdown of the midi track. Since this is offline it you may not get the issues with timing.

Not exactly a solution but as a workaround it may help.

Mark

you mean vst plugins? i am using some blueline on some other tracks, but I am not sure that is related. this happens simply on playback:(

Does anyone know of a shareware/freeware midi player for windows that can use soundfonts, so I can verify if it’s my card or ntrack?

<!–QuoteBegin>

you mean vst plugins? i am using some blueline on some other tracks, but I am not sure that is related. this happens simply on playback:(

No I meant VST instruments. I was trying to establish if you were using your soundcard or VSTi’s (which was kinda implied in your first post), but you answered my question with your next question…

<!–QuoteBegin>

Does anyone know of a shareware/freeware midi player for windows that can use soundfonts, so I can verify if it’s my card or ntrack?

There are two ways to acheive what you want. Either find VSTi (instruments) that give you the sound you want, or use a soundfont vsti like sfz (http://www.rgcaudio.com/sfz.htm).

In my opinion this is a much more flexible way of working than using the soundcard…(yes it does use some resources),… but the sounds are saved with the project, they are automatically included at mix down (no more rendering to a separate wav file).

HTH

Mark

i may try sfz again. I just figured it’d be better to use the hardware, but it’s screwing things up, but I don’t know if it’s ntrack!

dcougle,

Have you tried unchecking both “Playback time” and “Recording time” under “File/Settings/Preferences/Options/Use system timer for”? This seemed to fix bad timing problems I had with an external hardware synth once. I noticed in your older thread that you already tried the “Wave” timer setting already, so I guess that’s out.

Also, did you ever try reducing buffering?

Tony

I tried reducing buffering, no diffence, it seems.
I changed the system timer under midi, no where else.
I will try unchecking those two boxes.