Mixdown latency issue

OK. I tried version 5 and no change.

I’ve now started a new file with just the drum tracks and removed the one plugin. The only things in use are volume and pan envelopes. No change.

Interestingly, though, each track seems more out than the previous one.

Also, a track of cowbell we recorded over the last section is in time with the last section, there-for equally out of time with the rest of the song.

Maybe some kind of test.
Like take just one of your original tracks
and clone it to a new track - mix those two and see if you
have a problem.
It sounds to me like the tracks your are working with have
slightly different tempos.
For example - just last night I was trying to determine the tempo
of Pink Floyds Speak to Me Breathe. I put it in MixMeister BPM analyzer and
found it was at 64.2bpm. So I created a click track in Audacity and lined
it up under the song. It played dead on to the click track for maybe 8 measures,
but then started drifting off. So all I can figure is that the song was not tempo
perfect throughout. These small but significant tempo differences could be what
you are hearing in your mixdown. Does that make sense?

There two issues that can case sync problems. We need to make sure they aren’t getting confused.

1: Tracks not in sync from the beginning. When manually lined up to be in sync they will stay in sync.

2: Tracks play at slightly different speeds. One track will ALWAYS be slower (or faster) than the other. No amount of manually moving the waves in the timeline will get them to be in sync except for a few beats.

Doing a mixdown can add a small amount of blank data to the beginning of the resulting mixdown file. Further mixdowns will keep adding that. Yet, these tracks will still play at exactly the same speed and can be manually aligned to be in perfect sync.

That issue has been around for a long time.

The new issue is on that causes mixed/bounced/frozen tracks to play at a slightly different speed than the original.

In my case:
All tracks are 48k.
The song is set to 48k.
No individual tracks are set to anything other that 1.00 playback speed.
The song is set to be 1.00 playback speed.
YET!!!
The 1.00 for the song will display as 0.99 after reloading the song regularly. (HUGH CLUE)

There are some plug-ins that report latency. Removing just the plug-ins does not work around the issue. This is not a strict latency only issue.

Only after removing ALL plug-ins and setting ALL EQ to be flat does the issue go away. Clicking the green button to disable plug-ins does not work around the problem.

Manually resetting each track and the song to playback at 1.00, even if they are already 1.00 may be necessary.

I think this is an underlying float rounding issue.

Another common thing is that the songs are all large projects, with the shortest being just under 30 minutes. Output is 6 channels (3 stereo pair), but as I mentioned, it repros on another machine. That machine is stereo only. There are 4 Aux returns.

In the 6 channel config mixing to a single multichannel file will always result in an invalid file. I must mix to three stereo waves.

Doesn’t happen during ‘just playback’ – only when doing a mixdown, whether offline or not. Just doing a one tracks bounce to a single wave is enough to cause it.

Seems to be avoided when mixing down just a single song (a few minutes) at a time. This points to ‘it is a long project’ as being a necessary step in reproing.
Pretty frustrating.

I’m mixing down all drum tracks into one stereo track, opening this new track, then playing mixdown at the same time as the originals. This is where it becomes plainly obvious that the second part of the mixdown is coming in late, but evenly, consistently, late. Then the third part - even further out, etc. It is, however, the same tempo.

Anyone heard any more on this?
I’m using newest n-track and seeing a similar issue.
I am mixing an ezdrummer instrument/midi track to a single stereo track.
I can hear the lag time get larger and larger for each beat as you move to the right in
time.
This is just for the new recorded track, the midi ezdrum track plays correctly in
real time.

For those that had problems, have you moved back to the previous version?

Occasionally a song can develop some bad memory.
It’s happened a couple times in the past 10 yrs.
I think the cause was hitting freeze by mistake and then canceling the freeze a little to late.
I do know that after adding the original tracks into a new project and giving it a new name I was able to avoided the problems.

You might have to worry about parts under parts and which take is triggered to play.
(if you move a part from one track to another, it becomes a take) I think it’s possible to have a take that isn’t visible play, instead of the part that is visible. It’s possible that the part that is hidden is out of position and playing.

I might be wrong since lanes is a fairly new addition to ntrack.
You might check for something like this or just add your drum tracks to a new project to see if the problem persists.

Takes and parts are the same thing. Small sections that are added. Takes happen via punch in. Parts happen by cuttin and pasting. They are interchangeable and can stack on top of each other.

Levi, I didn’t use freeze. But I backed out to release from April and it still does the
same. I went back to newest release and figured a work around for now using the
Aux 1 channel to feed the ezdrums to, and puttinng by eq on that. Still seems abit
off timing wise.
I notice that mixxing down regular wave tracks to another wav track has no problem, is just mixing from an midi instrument (ezdrummer in this case) to a new wav track. The help
does mention that this could be caused by timing issues the sound card. I have a M-Audio
Delta 1010LT, never had the problem before.
I think I need to go back to playin drums and just get some real drums.

I’m not having that problem with addictive drums. You play drums too? I’m jealous! :)

Many years ago, I was learning, had a nice Ludwig set.
Sold it to a good friend
who was better.
But the frustrations with midi drums and so on, and the time spent,
Im thinking I could re-take lessons and just bang out what I want in shorter time.
I do like the ezdrum sounds and they are ez to set up, its the tie in with n-track
and all of that I have to get a hold of.

But I’m in no hurry and I have no plae to be, so I’ll get it in time.

Quote:

The help does mention that this could be caused by timing issues the sound card.
I have a M-Audio Delta 1010LT, never had the problem before.

It shouldn't be your soundcard... The Delta series are very popular and very solid. In preferences, have you made sure you do not have "Use system timer" checked? It may be called something slightly different but basically you don't want to use the system timer for anything. You want to use your interfaces clock for synchronization.

D

EDIT: If this is ONLY happening at mixdown, it is definitely a bug. When I was using n-Track, I griped a lot about mixdown and/or frozen clips/tracks coming out at different lengths. It never got fixed then and is apparently worse now.
Quote: (pingcat @ Aug. 03 2009, 8:32 PM)

Many years ago, I was learning, had a nice Ludwig set.
Sold it to a good friend
who was better.
But the frustrations with midi drums and so on, and the time spent,
Im thinking I could re-take lessons and just bang out what I want in shorter time.
I do like the ezdrum sounds and they are ez to set up, its the tie in with n-track

But I'm in no hurry and I have no plae to be, so I'll get it in time.

Please make sure that the track speed settings are set at exactly 1.0x on the global song speed setting in the upper right part of the transport toolbar and on each track properties box. There is currently a rounding error problem that makes the program still display 1.0 when the speed is not exactly 1.0, but 0.995 or similar value. The next build will correct this problem.
As a workaround to make sure that the speed is exactly 1.0 click on the speed indicator (showing (x1.00) and select "1x") from the drop-down menu.
I suspect that this song/track speed setting is at the root of some if not all of the problems related to mixdown speed being slightly altered.

If the problem persists it would be great if you could package a sample song that illustrates the problem and email it to me at info@ntrack.com

Thanks.

Flavio.
Quote:

its the tie in with n-track

Don't be shy about asking for help from the other EZD users here.

Thank you Flavio, thats exactly what it was. It said x1.00 but selecting 1x made
it really be x1.00, now the drums are locked in sync.
And yes, poppa, I will be posting a few ezD questions in other threads, thanks for the help.

YEAH!!! :)

thankyouthankyouthankyou

YAY!!!

Thanks Flavio. The work around fixed mine as well.

(This is why I’ve stuck with NTrack).

Thanks again.