Mixer connections

Really getting into n now and am spending inordinate amounts of time trying to record. As I am making considerable noise I have been instructed by 'er indoors to use headphones and this is where I am hoping somebody can assist. I have a small behringer mixer, a pod and a cheap set of monitors. The connections are:-

guitar into pod into line-in of mixer
mic into mic-in of mixer
headphones in headphone socket (got that bit right!)
control-out of mixer to line-in of sound card
line-out of sound card into tape-in of mixer
tape-out of mixer into monitors

Now the problem is, when I play back a midi file I can hear it through the monitors and the headphones. But, when I play along with my guitar, I can hear it through the monitors but NOT the headphones. I obviously want to turn the monitors down/off but then I can’t hear the guitar - can anybody help please ?
I’m sure this is straight forward but I have been grappling with this for ages now and I can’t see the wood for the trees - any help would be very welcome

Hi dhj.

This baffled me too, until I got it right…

[my comments in brackets follows…]
<!–QuoteBegin>

guitar into pod into line-in of mixer [logical…]
mic into mic-in of mixer [logical, too…]
headphones in headphone socket (got that bit right!) [right.]
control-out of mixer to line-in of sound card [this is wrong -see below.]
line-out of sound card into tape-in of mixer [also OK.]
tape-out of mixer into monitors [now, this is wrong - look for explanation below…]

Your Behringer mixer (assuming an Eurorack X02 series model in lack of clarity on this point) has a pair of outputs labeled “CTRL ROOM OUT” - They should be connected to the monitor inputs. The tape-out outputs on the mixer should be connected to the line input of the soundcard.

In the mixer section labeled “TAPE” make sure the button labeled “TAPE TO CTRL ROOM” is DOWN and the button labeled “TAPE TO MIX” is UP.

Then all sound coming from both the mixer inputs and the soundcard outputs should appear in the headphones. This should keep you and your spouse happy while you are tracking away…

Caution: Do not have both tape routing buttons pressed down at the same time when the mixer is connected like this - a nasty feedback loop will form.

I hope this helps - this is how I have my ALTO S-8 - similar to the Behringer in many of the routing aspects - wired up. (Actually, I have a Behringer 802 serving as a secondary mixer)

regards, Nils

Which Berry mixer do you have? Sounds like you need to set an Aux bus to get your monitor mixes the way you want. If you post the model of your Berry, we may be able to advise you a little better?

TG

EDIT** Nils beat me to it! Way to go NilsK!

Nils, you’re a marvel. Many many thanks. The mixer is a behringer eurorack 1002 (apologies for not mentioning that in my original note). Unfortunately I will have to wait until tomorrow night to test this out as I am a lead short (i’ve got miles of cable/lead but none left with the correct plug :( .
Reading through your reply a coiple of times I can see that it makes perfect sense. I’ll let you know if it works :D

Thanks again

After a call to behringer I connect as follows:line out on the sound card to tape in on the mixer aux sent on the mixer to line in on the sound card depress the 2TK to mix button that throws the track inputs and the sound card mix to the headphones.

Sorted now, many thanks. Tried the suggestions and it still didn’t work until I realised that I had the midi volume on full which was drowning out the guitar :laugh: A quick adjustment to the volume and hey presto, everything seems to work fine.

Many thanks again