moving tracks with there volume envelopes

we want to drag 3 tracks together along the timeline & take there volume envelpoes with them… is there a way to do this?

thanks

Hold down the Shift key and click on each track to highlight(select it). With the track highlighted, click on the plus sign on one of the track and drag all selected track together. Keep in mind that you cannot drag left past the edge of end of the tracks unless you shorten the track to create a space to drag them into/
Bax

thanks bax but i havent got a plus sign i can see …& when i highlight the tracks & hold shift & click the 4 way arrow thing & drag… the tracks move & leave the volume envelope behind

Quote: (bright lights tonight @ Feb. 01 2011, 9:21 AM)

thanks bax but i havent got a plus sign i can see ...& when i highlight the tracks & hold shift & click the 4 way arrow thing & drag... the tracks move & leave the volume envelope behind

Another way to move tracks with all the current settings such as volume pans, EQ ect.. is to clone the track. The option there includes cloning to a new track or any tracks listed in the cloning menu. You can then delete the source tracks. This process is the same thing as moving them. On the plus side you won't have to adjust there position when cloning: moving them you would have to re adjust their position.

PACO

Sorry you are having the problem. Not sure why that is not working for you. I just tried it on my computer and it worked for me . . . I am using build 2673, but I think it works the same for all version 6 ( but I can’t be sure.) Are you using version 6?
The plus sign I referred to I think you are calling a four way arrow ( the symbol at the bottom left of the track.)
Maybe I didn’t explain it correctly. Turn off the envelope display. Hold the Shift key to Select the tracks. Release the shift key. Drag the three track with the 4 way arrow. When you turn the envelope display back on, all the information should have moved.
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Bax

no it doesnt work bax… i have ntrack version4
theres no symbol at bottom left of the track… the 4 way arrow im talking about is on the top toolbar
all that happens is the tracks move along the timeline & leave the volume envlope behind

i think youve misunderstood what i want to do paco its getting a volume envelope to move along the timeline with a track when i drag it to the right

I should have asked what version - it works as I said in the current version 6.

I think there’s a button there somewhere that has the option of moving the envelopes along. Try right clicking the button that you use for moving files around.

Quote: (varakeef @ Feb. 02 2011, 2:34 AM)

I think there's a button there somewhere that has the option of moving the envelopes along. Try right clicking the button that you use for moving files around.

thanks for the idea but no luck im afraid

hhmmm… never moved a track to the left or right with the vol. envelopes.
How about mixing down the individual tracks and re-inserting them? Then the vol. envelope would be permanent…

and she said she was not intellegent enuff to play music now…

I have been using this program for 10 years and I don’t even know what a volume envelope is or where one would even look for one…and here she not only found them but wants to move multiple ones around at once… :laugh:

I guess I am still doing it the old fashioned way as spreader suggest mixing down and then moving around… :disagree:

I think I did try something a few years back but I had all kinds of color balls and lines going all over the place doing God knows what and I just figured I screwed something up and exited the program without saving before it became permanent to the file!
???

Good luck Tina!

dontcare

Quote: (dontcare @ Feb. 02 2011, 7:41 PM)

I have been using this program for 10 years and I don't even know what a volume envelope is or where one would even look for one....and here she not only found them but wants to move multiple ones around at once... :laugh:

Good luck Tina!

dontcare

well im amazed someone as clever as you at this game has never come across volume envelopes!!
maybe we only need to use them becos our recordings are not as well done as yours to tidy things up
thanks for the good wishes

Craig i think your suggestion is our only way unless we redraw the envlopes.. thanks
Quote: (bright lights tonight @ Feb. 03 2011, 8:55 AM)

Quote: (dontcare @ Feb. 02 2011, 7:41 PM)

I have been using this program for 10 years and I don't even know what a volume envelope is or where one would even look for one....and here she not only found them but wants to move multiple ones around at once... :laugh:

Good luck Tina!

dontcare

well im amazed someone as clever as you at this game has never come across volume envelopes!!
maybe we only need to use them becos our recordings are not as well done as yours to tidy things up
thanks for the good wishes

my recordings aren't all as clean as you may suggest,
I do a lot of editing and am probably doing it the hard way all these years but it is a way I know that works.

Something would have had to have convinced me years ago that there is some sort of advantage to using them that I am missing out on for me to want to invest the time in learning how to, and so far that hasn't been presented to me in a way that makes sense.

In the long run learning how to use them maybe would save time...however in the present I would loose the initial time trying to figure it out (who knows how long that would take) not to mention the frustration.

I usually have at least one project going on that I am exited about, the momentum can easily be lost if I spend too much time trying to figure shortcuts or features out....so I stick with the way I know to keep things moving...because once the spark is gone with me it's gone forever, you gotta catch the firefly and put it in the bottle...play with it too much and it dies.

dontcare
Quote: (bright lights tonight @ Feb. 04 2011, 3:55 AM)

Volume Evolutions are pretty common in mixes. In the olde days groups of people would stand around the mixer with a track sheet and as the music played in real-time they would move the faders. I've done it a few times myself in "proper" studios with analogue mixers. We used tape next to the faders to indicate where to move the sliders.

One of my favourites in a commercial recording is Love Me Do, by the Beatles. Have a listen at 1.48. The bass is suddenly pushed forward for the stab and then drops back to its normal level. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xuMwfUqJJM

HEy Mark,

how do you know it was not just played that way?

some players do just play certain parts or notes louder for emphasis.

My pops who is pretty old school does all his playing this way, he controls everything from his Fender and although I often suggest it he refuses to take advantage of the gear I use to preset gain and compression settings changing automatically, he truly is a one take wonder, nails it every time. :agree:

When I edit his tracks the most I have to do is fade in and fade out, and that’s only cause the Fender 70’s reissue has noisy pickups, but everything else is generally spot on volume wise in relation to the subtitles of the song.

dontcare

I agree that there is nothing that can beat a live recording session with artists that listen to each other and know how to make the music “pop.” Combine that with a great sound engineer and you really should not have to do extensive mixing -in my opinion, those conditions will always yield the best recordings… However, if you are doing you recording while 8 people are playing and you are trying to control the volumes with a mouse (or you are also playing or singing)- I find editing/ mixing is going to be required. I find volume envelope a great way to control sound levels that don’t get set up properly during recording, or a player who did a great job except to that part where he played over the other great player so that now there are two parts fighting for center stage. Then using volume envelopes is a very good deal indeed - just turn on the envelope display and click to raise and lower the volume as you would with a fader in real time. The advantage is you can see where changes are coming up and adjust until you get it the way you want. I’m sure all this can be done in “real” time, but personally I find volume envelope a real time saver.
Bax

Mixing has always included moving the faders as the song goes. Volume envelopes are just that. Cool example of very pronounced fader up movement in Beatles recordings is the end of the solo of Nowhere Man. The harmonic note is very loud compared to what it could be played.

But how to make the drawn envelopes follow the moved file… in current version you choose:
edit > volume/pan drawing > move evolutions when moving parts.

I think it exists in vs 4 too.

Tina. I’m on V6 and have tried to nail exactly what your talking about. I’ve never quite got to the bottom of it but it seams to have worked with some build up-dates and not with others over the last couple of years. I can’t say for V4 but Paco’s suggestion of the cloned track works.

Quote: (varakeef @ Feb. 03 2011, 3:15 PM)

I think it exists in vs 4 too.

your right !! i knew i was stupid but now i no for sure
theres a button to the left of the volume envelopes button ive neverseen called move volume evolutions when moving parts!!!! how could i miss it for all these years

trouble is it doesnt bloody work!!! & all the frigging vol evoltuions dont move properly with the tracks they just go funny....whats that all about!