My Fireproof Suit Just Arrived

I’m Wearing it…

It’s obvious

"The question posed here tonight is very direct: “Does Western Civilization Have A Future?” One answer’s easy: if western civilization doesn’t have a past, it certainly won’t have a future. No society can survive when it consciously unmoors itself from its own inheritance."

Midget Hot Rink

<!–QuoteBegin>

It’s obvious

It’s obvious he likes the sound of his own voice!

Ever hear anyone talk so much and say so little?

<!–QuoteBegin>
"The question posed here tonight is very direct: “Does Western Civilization Have A Future?”

Unless time stops this instant, then that’s a dumb question.

<!–QuoteBegin>
One answer’s easy: if western civilization doesn’t have a past, it certainly won’t have a future.

I love phrases like that! :laugh: They sound so meaningful till you take the time to think about them! :D

<!–QuoteBegin>
No society can survive when it consciously unmoors itself from its own inheritance."

Well, possibly some elements of truth there, but I dunno. The ‘proof’ given ain’t no such thing.

Does every life-form need to moor itself to its inheritance? Does a cockroach need to think about what its Pa did before it crawls around my bathroom?

So how exactly do you unmoor yourself from the past?

OK, the past matters, but it’s the past. Bin and gone, been there, done that. But I can’t change it.

Do I need to know if my ancestors were mainly slaves, or slave-owners, before I order a hot-dog?

Sorry, need more evidence, and better presented. :)
Quote (Gizmo @ Aug. 20 2006,23:58)
Does every life-form need to moor itself to its inheritance? Does a cockroach need to think about what its Pa did before it crawls around my bathroom?

You got me there...

Midget Hot Rink

Someone once said something like: If you don’t learn from the mistakes of the past, you’re doomed to repeat those mistakes.

And I think that’s true.

But in your link, that guy is talking some whole load of crap. I think he is anyway. But to be sure, I’m not really sure what he’s trying to say. :D

But something else I think, is that today is today. No one in the past knew anything about today. I know about the problems I face today, but if I look in my grandpappy’s dairy, there won’t be nothing about what sound card is best value for money.

So basically what I’m saying, is that OK, learn from the past, but I sure as heck don’t wanna be ‘moored’ to it.

Quote (Gizmo @ Aug. 21 2006,00:12)
…I know about the problems I face today, but if I look in my grandpappy’s dairy, there won’t be nothing about what sound card is best value for money.

So basically what I’m saying, is that OK, learn from the past, but I sure as heck don’t wanna be ‘moored’ to it…

Like I said, you got me.

Midget Hot Rink

What exactly is western civilization?

Western Civilization is the civilization in the west… You know… go West from the US to Hong Kong or Malaysia… Maybe Japan and Korea. Then there is the far west like Turkey and Iran. I think California counts too. But if you are in Peru, California might count as Northern Culture, I am not certain though. But from a definitive standpoint, I think western culture is defined by soy sauce and sea food and eastern by the concept of laws and beuracracy popularized by the Romans and Cicero and maybe pot roast. :p

Quote from James Bond movie bad guy… "Ze Vest ees DECADENT!"

I guess that means “the west” is only ten… err, something…

The bad guy wasn’t too smart though. His own troops gunned him down… Bond got the nookie… you know the bit.

D

mmm…pot roast…mmmm…I’d like some western culture to go. please…

You mean camel yogurt?

Cod tonges-and-Pork scraps… With fried onions… :O :laugh: If it ain’t got mercury in it, it ain’t no, good… None of this BSE Beef, for me…

Quote (Gizmo @ Aug. 20 2006,23:58)
<!–QuoteBegin>
It’s obvious

It’s obvious he likes the sound of his own voice!

Ever hear anyone talk so much and say so little?

<!–QuoteBegin>
"The question posed here tonight is very direct: “Does Western Civilization Have A Future?”

Unless time stops this instant, then that’s a dumb question.

<!–QuoteBegin>
One answer’s easy: if western civilization doesn’t have a past, it certainly won’t have a future.

I love phrases like that! :laugh: They sound so meaningful till you take the time to think about them! :D

<!–QuoteBegin>
No society can survive when it consciously unmoors itself from its own inheritance."

Well, possibly some elements of truth there, but I dunno. The ‘proof’ given ain’t no such thing.

So how exactly do you unmoor yourself from the past?

OK, the past matters, but it’s the past. Bin and gone, been there, done that. But I can’t change it.

Do I need to know if my ancestors were mainly slaves, or slave-owners, before I order a hot-dog?

Sorry, need more evidence, and better presented. :)

"Much of western civilization does not have any future. That’s to say, we’re not just speaking philosophically, but literally. In a very short time, France, Belgium, the Netherlands and other countries we regard as part of the western tradition will cease to exist in any meaningful sense. They don’t have a future because they’ve given up breeding."

Midget Hot Rink