My Second Splawn Quick Rod Clip

Joe Satriani Cover

Ok, I finally had a chance to sit down and play with the amp for about 45 mins. I dialed in some tones I liked and had just got done putting the backing track together for this tune. It is a song off his recent release called Revelation. One of my favorite Satch tunes. The solo is one of my favorites to play!

I’ve got a little ways to go before I can give a full review but I am really starting to love this amp. It is VERY different than any amp I’ve played in the past. It is the least forgiving amp I’ve owned (including the VHT CLX). I’m beginning to get used to its nuances. I have never owned a Marshall type amp before and it is pushing me to play better (timing, dynamics, etc).

I used OD 1 Gear 2 for the rhythm and OD 1 Gear 2 with a clean boost for the lead. The delay on the lead was provided by my trusty Rocktron Xpression.

Tell me what you think?

http://www.netmusicians.org/files/84-Revelation%20%28rough%29.mp3

Great as always gibson - little too much high end “air” on that rhythm at the first - intro - don’t notice it when the tune gets going though. And for me to hear it at all tells me there’s a lot.

Man your set up sounds great!

I’m of the opinion that any amp would sound good with you playing through it.

Quote: (kevinmyers @ Jan. 04 2009, 8:59 PM)

I'm of the opinion that any amp would sound good with you playing through it.

Err... YEAH! WHAT HE SAID! ^^^ :laugh:

:agree:

D

does sound very good …

Wow. What’s not to like about that? (A minor thing, but that is great feedback at about 1:15.)

What makes it unforgiving?

Yeah that is a rock sound allright! great tone, you play it well. :agree:

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Jan. 04 2009, 8:42 PM)

Great as always gibson - little too much high end "air" on that rhythm at the first - intro - don't notice it when the tune gets going though. And for me to hear it at all tells me there's a lot.

Man your set up sounds great!

Thanks PW! The Splawn is brand new to me so I don't have it dialed in just right for recording just yet. I do like the amp quite a bit. It is more of a Marshall flavored type of amp. It is the first time I have played a "Marshall" ever so I am learning as I go.
Quote: (kevinmyers @ Jan. 04 2009, 8:59 PM)

I'm of the opinion that any amp would sound good with you playing through it.

Err... YEAH! WHAT HE SAID! ^^^ :laugh:

:agree:

D

Thanks guys! Sometimes it is a bit unnerving to post clips on the forum. Especially since I wasn't quite done with the clip yet. The amp is new to me so I'm learning how best to dial it in and setup up the mics.
Quote: (TomS @ Jan. 05 2009, 5:14 PM)

Wow.
What's not to like about that?
(A minor thing, but that is great feedback at about 1:15.)

What makes it unforgiving?

Thanks Tom!

The Splawn is not as compressed ad the Mesa Mark IV. I find the Mesa easier to play for that reason. I'm really enjoying a new flavor of amp/tone right now.

Yea - I can tell you’re really struggling to get it dialed in. :laugh: :p

You’re miles ahead of most young man.

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Jan. 06 2009, 2:01 PM)

Yea - I can tell you're really struggling to get it dialed in.
:laugh:
:p

You're miles ahead of most young man.

Ha! I don't feel that young anymore. I'm going on my 38th year.

I’ve been 38 a time and a half. :agree:

42 is the peak, IMHO.

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Jan. 07 2009, 10:32 AM)

I've been 38 a time and a half. :agree:

42 is the peak, IMHO.

Really?

Rats...

Just my personal theory. 56 ain’t been all that bad - I’m recording and writing better than ever - at least I think so. And by gollydarn, I’m good enough, I’m smart enough, and doggonit, people like me!
:p

Tommy Willis for Senate!

I’ll buy him a seat in Illinois. Lessee where did I put Blogdoofazitches phone number… ?

D

Oops I laughed so hard I made a snot bubble - that would disqualify me I hope.

ewwwwww… Poppa! :laugh:

This track is so cool. How do you even get that good at guitar, my mind be a boggling!

Ange x