mystery compressor

Hi all,

When I mix down a song, it is badly compressed, fluttering and phasing throughout. I am using compression on the vocals and bass tracks in the song, but not in the master channel. During playback it sounds fine, although if I click quickly to repeat a song part it may go into this annoying compressed sound.

Whatever, I cannot shake it off during mixdown. Any ideas anyone? Thanks. Oh and apologies if this is common, but I couldnt see anything in the faq, or previous posts.

Scott.

What are you using to playback the mixdown file? Players like Microsoft’s Media Player are renowned for messing with the audio. Try re-importing the file back into n and trying it.

Could you post a clip for us to hear?

<!–QuoteBegin>

What are you using to playback the mixdown file? Players like Microsoft’s Media Player are renowned for messing with the audio. Try re-importing the file back into n and trying it.

Thanks MarkA! I reimported the mixed down wav file and it played fine in ntrack, and fine in sound forge, yet play it with windows media player and it is compressed. So then I tried mp3ing it and it played ok in windows media player.

Conclusion: The current WMP doesnt play wav files very well, I guess its expecting mp3s and treats them accordingly. Weird though - never had it happen before.

Thanks again!

Scott.

Scott,

You can turn off WMP’s “enhancements”.

View–>“Enhancements”–>“SRS WOW Effects” and select “OFF”.

It’s one of my pet hates when media players do this sort of thing.

Mark