n-Track causes earth quake......

Word from the congregation is that some recalculation is needed. Any of you know Antony Flew’s invisible gardener parable?

http://www.stephenjaygould.org/ctrl/flew_falsification.html

As told by John Wisdom. Reminds me of an early cyber-gardening experiment that demonstrated earths plight in the hands of man at an accelerated rate.

Quote: (TomS @ May 23 2011, 9:29 AM)

Any of you know Antony Flew's invisible gardener parable?

I do now : -)

So!? Why does siht stick, ideas, linger? What is belief?

Evolutionary produced behavioral tendency, emergent epiphenomenal property of beings with brains like ours.

Quote: (TomS @ May 22 2011, 9:07 PM)

Evolutionary produced behavioral tendency, emergent epiphenomenal property of beings with brains like ours.

That's easy for you to say, you old Whorfianist, you;-)
So what makes this or any other definition of belief believable?
Quote: (TonyR @ May 23 2011, 1:06 PM)

Well, it in turn is an evolutionary produced behavioral tendency, emergent epiphenomenal property of beings with brains like ours.
Quote: (TomS @ May 23 2011, 3:04 PM)

Quote: (TonyR @ May 23 2011, 1:06 PM)

Well, it in turn is an evolutionary produced behavioral tendency, emergent epiphenomenal property of beings with brains like ours.

Well! I did ask a philosopher :D

I’ve placed an “open letter” to Harold Camping on my blog.

Chances of him responding: as close to zero as can be imagined. But one can always hope…

Camping is according to reports very unhappy about this. It seems that in this case he really and truly believed what he was preaching. Bill, if I may say so, your blog post seems just a tad confrontational. I really liked the response from another church in his town, saying that they knew he and the people in his church were hurting, and offering emotional and spiritual support to help them deal with the disappointment. That seems like the proper Christian response. Anyway, I’m curious what you would say to him, if he did indeed respond and open up a conversation.

I’ve been following his apology or whatever it is this evening, and I take it all back, Bill, the guy is a major homophobic a$$.

http://www.christianpost.com/news…y-50438

The enormity of Camping’s ego can not be overestimated; nor the damage he is capable of inflicting. Why he still has a broadcast license is beyond me.

I guess it’s called free speech.

Yep. He’s still a homophobic idiot.

All a bit of a worry.

Quote: (Mark A @ May 24 2011, 1:58 PM)

I guess it's called free speech.

I'm not an American, so my understanding of the concept of 'free speech' may be somewhat limited. But it seems to me that, even in America, free speech has its limits. The legal guarantees of free speech are, I think, designed to respect an individual's opinion and the individual's right to express that opinion without limitation. But the classic example of a limitation on free speech is yelling 'fire' in a crowded theatre - you don't have the right to do that and cause harm when there is no fire - THAT action isn't an opinion - it's a lie and a damn hurtful lie and you don't have the right to do it.

At least, that is my understanding.

What is the difference between Camping and the sick sonofabitch who groundlessly yells 'fire' in a crowded theatre? Why would you allow such an individual to extend the reach of his voice with a radio broadcast licence?

Camping is yelling "There’s going to be a fire!"

While that isn’t “There’s…a fire!” may folks will chose to hear just that part.

If he were to yell that in the theater he might get dragged out for being a pain and a bit of a nut, but if there was a fire later he might be considered a hero by those that had left and even others that didn’t believe in the first place.

Freedom of speech? Maybe. Blind ignorance. Maybe. Nutjob? For sure. :laugh:

Run into the bank yelling “every body down”!!! Works every time :laugh:

Quote: (phoo @ May 26 2011, 1:04 PM)

...he might get dragged out for being a pain and a bit of a nut...

He might get worse if people were trampled in the aftermath of his outburst.

All that aside, I think it is unwise to give such a person unfettered access to the public airwaves. His broadcast licences should be revoked. He won't care anyway; after October 21st there won't be anyone to listen.