N-Track Drums Intervention....

Let me begin by saying that I am not a professional muscian, or a sound tech. I just love making music, and when I’ve got a song ready to record (once every 2 months or so), I don’t want technology to get in the way of my attempts to lay something down.

Looking back, I used to love N-Track - when I first started writing songs. It’s the only multitrack I have ever owned. I thought the basic “step by step tutorial” accessed through the “Help” button on the tool bar was a big asset, and easily recorded my first song - w/out drums. It was a good first effort.

After a couple more songs, I understood how many things in the program worked, and was pleased w/ the quality of the recordings. Still, I always “wished” N-Track had a drum machine, but never enough to go out and buy a drum machine, or figure out the midi stuff. Anyway, when N-Track came out w/ NTrack drums, I upgraded to the new version immediately and w/ a great deal of enthusiam…

Unfortunately, that was the last moment of satisfaction w/ the software program I once loved. After a year of trial and error, and more error, I now feel like I know absolutely nothing about somthing I had “down pat.” At this moment, if I could physically throw the program in the toilet and flush it, I would. Of course, this is exactly why I need your help.

The step by step “tutorial” accessed through the tool bar that was so helpful the first time around, has yet to be updated to explain how the drums should be programmed into a song and when, or how to actually work them. I think this was a serious flaw in the upgrade.

While I’ve spent hours on the message board reading of the frustrations of countless others w/ the drum machine, I’ve gained nothing genuinely helpful.

I know everyone else seems to find the board helpful, but the solutions invariably don’t work for me because a step in the message board solution is missing. (eg: Click “Track -> Midi -> Insert new midi Instrument, elect N-Drums from the drop down list”), etc. Stuff like that never works for me - because invariably, I don’t have the option to “Insert new midi instrument” or something similar. It has been a frustrating year (of failing to master this thing… giving up for two months, writing a new song, trying again, failing again, quitting, swearing I’m going to by a Tascam 4 track, etc.).

I wish someone could, “in the simplist user (and I mean “amateur”) terms” create a “new” step by step tutorial for NTrack, that would follow the same outline as the original pre N-track drums tutorial accessed from the Help button on the tool bar and cover everything from creating the first track (I take it the drums), to bass, guitar, rhythm, vocals, effects, etc. - all the way to the final mixdown - on the same basic entry level recording understanding that was was so helpful in the earlier versions…

Does anyone know if this “Rossetta Stone” (basic tutorial) exists anywhere?

Or would anyone be willing to do it to help the poor hopeless, and frustrated novices among us?

BTW, I’m using 4.2.1 (build 2099)

Quote (Iplan @ Mar. 12 2007,12:37)

While I’ve spent hours on the message board reading of the frustrations of countless others w/ the drum machine, I’ve gained nothing genuinely helpful.

I know everyone else seems to find the board helpful, but the solutions invariably don’t work for me because a step in the message board solution is missing. (eg: Click “Track -> Midi -> Insert new midi Instrument, elect N-Drums from the drop down list”), etc. Stuff like that never works for me - because invariably, I don’t have the option to “Insert new midi instrument” or something similar. It has been a frustrating year (of failing to master this thing… giving up for two months, writing a new song, trying again, failing again, quitting, swearing I’m going to by a Tascam 4 track, etc.).

Hi Iplan,

I’m sorry that you are feeling frustrated. I have a few things to comment on (that probably don’t answer your question at all but maybe put some context around it).

Firstly, you’ve made the right start. Reading here may never fully answer your question but posting here means folks can answer specific questions. This is your first post. Feel free to ask very specific questions and I’m sure folks will answer.

<!–QuoteBegin>
I wish someone could, “in the simplist user (and I mean “amateur”) terms” create a “new” step by step tutorial for NTrack, that would follow the same outline as the original pre N-track drums tutorial accessed from the Help button on the tool bar and cover everything from creating the first track (I take it the drums), to bass, guitar, rhythm, vocals, effects, etc. - all the way to the final mixdown - on the same basic entry level recording understanding that was was so helpful in the earlier versions…

Does anyone know if this “Rossetta Stone” (basic tutorial) exists anywhere?

Or would anyone be willing to do it to help the poor hopeless, and frustrated novices among us?

Flavio has included the drum machine as a tool rather than a specific part of the programme (actually it’s made by a third party). There are many other ways to add drums to a song so including a specific way of working would be excluding many others. It’s a bit like stating that MS Word is no good because it doesn’t tell you how to write a letter to your bank manager to ask for a loan (although that annoying paper clip seems to think it knows how!)

Dig through the forum. There have been many posts about how to use the drum machine. If you find one but don’t understand all the steps then post here and ask.

<!–QuoteBegin>
BTW, I’m using 4.2.1 (build 2099)

There have been many versions since then and some features change and move around. That’s probably why you can’t always follow the instructions. You might want to consider upgrading to a later version (even a later version of V4) if you want to be current with some of the discussions/explanations.

I know this doesn’t answer your question but hopefully is a starting point. Check our audiominds.com for general recording tutorials.

X

Hi Gents:
I think build 2099 is the last build of v4… that being v4.2.1…

I’ve spent many hours of trying to create drum tracks using this utility… I’ve had lots of fun trying to get some tub tracks, but that didn’t keep anything I’ve tried from ending up on the “Editing Room” Floor… :O ??? :laugh: :p

Sorry, guys… I just couldn’t help myself from replying to this thread…

Bill…

Hey thanks for the response. I appreciate the encouragement to press on.

I really think my biggest problem is that I don’t have a lot of time to spend doing this type of stuff (running a business, raising 3 kids, trying to be a good husband, etc.)… I just don’t have a lot of time to “do what I want to do,” - so it’s so frustrating to be dealing w/ such a steep learning curve - when a simple explanation has to exist somewhere.

One of the replies mentioned that “There are many ways to add drums to a song so including a specific way of working would be excluding many others.” While I agree that this is a true statement, wouldn’t it be possible to at least share an “easy” basic way to get the drums operational… in the tutorial format, just as a baseline?

To me, that’s like saying, "Well, there’s a lot of ways to play an E on the guitar, so to teach you one way, would be a disservice to all the others."

There’s got to be a simple solution For example: miking guitars… Obviously you can do this a lot of different ways, but to simplify the interface issues w/ any recording system, you can simply grill mic your amp (people can argue sound quality w/ different techniques all day, but I just need functionality for starters).

I’ve got no visions of creating the next Sergeant Peppers… I just want to be able to create a song that has all the parts there (in their most basic form).

If I could get the drums to function and follow a simple pattern akin to the context of a metronome on a song (w/ maybe a different pattern in the chorus), I’d be elated…

Can someone help?

Finally, I am going to check out audiominds.com per your request.

Thanks for reading.

please excuse me for being ‘picky’ - the best way to avoid miss-information is to start your post with the version and build number of N that you use -

if you want manual for NTD look here -

http://www.asseca.com/darkstar/dk+cg/

if you want extra kits look here -

http://www.asseca.com/darkstar/dk+cg/

NTD is almost to complicated for its own good, it invites you to jump straight in and create great drum tracks, which is OK if you are already conversant with MIDI programming and have the time to work through every possability it offers -

MIDI is only easy when you know MIDI, to know MIDI you have to really start at a lower level - by this i mean that you first use just the piano roll outputing to the microsoft synth - when you get that to work then you can move up a level -

Dr J

One of many other ways to record drums: I use my keyboard, turning on it’s drumkit feature, and tapping out drum patterns on the keys whilst recording. Totally quick and easy, as long as you have a keyboard with a drumkit feature!

Iplan,

You may find it easier to get going by using drum loops. Plenty of free/cheap ones around and with the free version of Acid (or a bit of work in n-track) you can quickly assemble a usable drum track.

X

drum loops is a very good answer for non commercial use, gets messssssssssssy if song has commercial viability - using a kbd is great but how long did it take us to learn how to set it up and get N to recognise it ? -

there are 36+ drum kits available in Ns MIDI instrument selection (not counting the seperate N Track Drums) all go to further confuse a person starting out with MIDI -

MIDI is not ‘plug and play’ MIDI is learn, learn. learn, thats OK if you have the time to spare, another way is to use a TOP of THE RANGE drum machine - but to get a decent sound the cost is prohibitive -

if samples are to be used then do not mix them up from different kits - keep to one kit and it will sound OK, mix it up and all manner of gremlins will ensue - when you have the right kit leave it alone dont try and make it sound better, you will spens hours and hours of wasted time with this plugin and that plugin - time that could be better spent in learming MIDI properly - once youve got MIDI tamed it opens up a whole new world of recording possabilities -

Dr J

Okay after 3 hours of “focused” trial and error last night (w/ the conscious affirmation that N-Track can work for me), I actually stumbled on something that has helped, and also prompted a couple of questions:

I think some of the core root of my problem was the fact that I never saw “Track 10” show up in my “Track List” w/ the other instruments. So I’d keep opening N-Track drums - over and over again, so I’d end up w/ 3 or 4 drum tracks going at the same time - all w/ latency issues… sounding absolutely terrible.

Then, I stumbled on the fact that slide for N-Track drums will show up on the Master Mixer view. (view -> mixer -> master mixer). From this vantage point, I could see that NTD was there where I assigned it - even though it didn’t show up on the Track list where the other instruments go.

This realization has proved somewhat helpful - as you can imagine, but it has lead to more questions.

Here’s one: When I open N-Track Drums, after assigning it to channel 10, five slides open up on the master mixer, but only one says “N-Track Drums” and receives a signal. What are the other tracks for - as none of them appear to be receiving a signal?

I read in the N-Track Drums user manuel that, " when you load DK+ in your host, only the first stereo output may be automatically connected, you may need to connect/route the other outputs too." Of course, I’ve got no idea how to connect or route anything, but it seems this may be the solution… can someone explain how to “connect” the other outputs in N-Track Drums - if this is indeed my problem?

While I’m asking questions, - the tuner on N-Track has never worked for me… even though the frequency spectrum is jumping all over the place… it always says, “[TUNER] signal indeterminent.” I have my own tuner so it doesn’t matter that much, but it just makes me wonder, and since I’m asking questions, I thought I’d ask about this one too.

Finally, I’m using 4.2.1. (build 2099).

Thanks for the time everyone has spent working me through all this.

I think an introductory tutorial, starting with laying a drum track using NTD as an optional step, would be very handy. The getting-started part of the n-Track documentation is pretty out of date, I suspect.

However, I’d only do it for latest version, and I don’t have V5 yet. Also, I don’t even have a V4 with NTD. Later, if & when I upgrade, I might consider spearheading a project like this, using n-Track WIKI so we can all pitch in.

If anyone else gets a jones to do it, go for it! :)

Cheers
Jeff

on each pad that is in use there is an offset blue square, cloick in the top area of the gap to the right of the blue square (an “e” will appear) and the drum editor will open - to the bottom right of the editor you will see the output tree, click on each level in turn you will see outputs change in meter bank -

Dr J

Alright… I’ve grown weary of trial and error w/ N-Track drums.

I’m telling you, it’s a good thing this software program can’t fit in the toilet… lol

Okay but I’m not giving up… I just want some hands on help, as individual trail and error is weighing heavily on me.

Here’s the offer. I’m going to pay $100 US to the person that will spend 2 hours on the telephone explaining N-Track Drums to me. I will pay $50 for every additional hour if we need it.

I want all the details on this thing. N-Track drums has been the source of maximum frustration in my life for way too long, and this offer is my last attempt at NTrack.

My $100 payment will be made via Paypal at the conclusion of the session, so I guess you need to be a verified Paypal member. I will even call you on the phone, so you don’t have to worry about long distance charges eating into your profits.

At the end of the 2 hour session, I don’t expect you to have me replacing Phil Collins in a studio session, but I would expect you to have gotten me up and running - laying down basic N-Track drums - demo quality stuff w/in the context of a song, having the mix fit right w/ the rest of the song, etc., and no longer feeling the nearly uncontrollable desire to cuss every 5 minutes, or give up making music altogether.

Finally, I think it is worth noting, that I have had nothing but bad experiences w/ N-Track Drums in the past - as anyone reading the entire thead can attest. DK+ manuel is worthless for someone just starting out w/ VSTI, or whatever it is, and from the little time I’ve spent trying to learn MIDI, I can already tell that I dislike “MIDI” drums w/ a passion.

All that said, I’m not an idiot, I’m just a little challenged w/ the drum looping thing. I’m sure this will be the easiest $100 you make all year, and certainly the best $100 I spend all year.

Please consider the offer.

Email me at jwilson@carolinacollegeprep.com to set something up this week.

I am using n-Track Studio 16 bit Version 4.2.1 (2099) 3/5/2006.

Serious inquiries only.

All the best,

Jonathan Wilson
aka, “Iplan”

I’m back again, Gents:
I have this idea… Maybe it sounds a little corny, but what would be wrong with “opening” a “Chat room” call it n-Track Drum Seminar, or something, come up with a mutual time and have us put on a seminar to start us off creating drum tracks… We could start off as basic as the knowledge permits… till we all get on the same page…

I’m sure that after a few sessions we’d all find a common place to begin to make tracks. I’m also sure that after a few sessions we’d all have something to contribute… the common denominator is, n-Track and the same utilities-and-applications and the want to take what is available to a higher level…

Having said all of that, it would be nice if there would be a starting point where a minimum spec where each DAW would have the ability to reproduce the required information to display and repro the results…

If that would be acceptable as a starting point the chat room would be in REAL TIME… and… as fast as that… Seeing as chat rooms are public a bouncer is required so as to keep the RIFF-Raff outta the room… and maybe someone would know if there’s such a room that supports “Audio” so that the keyboard doesn’t need to be used to communicate…

This is just a suggestion… maybe this is not the way to trade ideas… We’d know in a couple of sessions if this idea would work… What do you think of that?

Bill…