n-track drums

new user

HI there, I’m a new user 1st of all, I have the demo version and I am trying very hard to figure out how to use this software.
I have also Abelton’s Lite 6 version.
I have all but given up trying to figure it out already.
I am new to recording on the computer, but not new to recording.
I started years ago on a Tascam 4 track, then moved to a zoom digital 8 track.
I want to move on to computer, but am beginning to think I am not able.
I have a M- audio fast track pro (I got my Live Lite free with it) and have had issues with it but now it seems to be working fine(after downloading the drivers numerous times)
I am impressed with the fact that this n-track software was able to recognize it right away.
Also, I was able to record my voice and guitar as a test right away as well.
It was very hot too, peaking easily…anyway, the problem at hand seems to be the drums.
I was able to copy a drum pattern (wave file) I had on my computer, sample I guess you call it.
However, I found the ntrack drums but I can not get the patterns to work on them.
I can get individual drum sounds to play via my computer keyboard but that’s it.
I have my midi keyboard hooked up to fast track pro…now, how is that supposed to work too?
can’t seem to figure that one out either.

I wanted to test that today as well.
I cant seem to get working either.
One more thing while I’m here, I can NOT get my view to show my play, record and stop buttons again, the master ones.
I lost them and can’t get them back.
?? anyone?
I worked and worked last night with the view and moving things around but nothing…
anyway, in case you need to know, I have dell laptop, 3.4 Ghz, 1.00 Ram, XP sp 2.

I am just wanting to record original songs using some prerecorded drumbeats, the drums on here sound great…my acoustic and electric guitars, piano, and voice parts…maybe some other keyboard parts, effects, you know, not that big of stuff.
I just need a simple, easy to use program…
I guess I may have to go back to the multitrack, nonvirtual stuff…
If anyone can help I’d appreciate it… :D
Hope everyone is having a good new year…

Wow, that’s sort of a lot of questions. Rest assured, it can be sorted and your n-track experience can be a good one. It might take a little while as you have a steep learning curve, but I would say the Manual is good, the Wiki is helpful in places, and this forum is terrific.

As for n-track drums, other than a quick play in the early days I don’t use it so I can’t give you specific help but there is a help manual somewhere. Have a search in the Wiki. Also, I seem to remember a number of helpful posts here on the forum when it first came out, so try a forum search. It’s not completely straight forward IIRC.

Missing transport: Try View–>Transport Toolbar. If that is already “ticked”, you may have inadvertently dragged it off the screen. Resetting your preferences to default may get itt back again.

Found this that I posted a coupla years ago!

Quote:

OK, here’s the bullet point summary. We’ll fill in the gaps if necessary.

1. Set the MIDI track to channel 16. (Preferences)

2. Point the MIDI track to the n-track drums Vsti

3. Pull up the piano roll for the track. Right click to the left of it and set the format to Note Names.

4. Set up the patterns in n-track drums

5. Add notes in the piano roll where you want the patterns to change. C3 is pattern A. Next note up is pattern B, etc

6. Hit play.

Note: You may need to put a wav track, or a note several minutes into the midi track for n-track to play to.

HTH

Fellow n-Tracker Hotdogwater did this a while ago. It’s excellent!
I’m sure it will help,
Cheers,
Ian

nullhl=n-drums

Quote: (Bruffie @ Jan. 19 2008, 3:21 AM)

Fellow n-Tracker Hotdogwater did this a while ago. It's excellent!
I'm sure it will help,
Cheers,
Ian

nullhl=n-drums

Nice one Ian. Thanks for that. Knew I'd seen something somewhere!

thanks for your replies. I have been just using my zoom recorder as of late and not my computer. I guess I just got discouraged using the abelton and n-track both. I am getting pretty good sounds now out of the zoom now that I’m not going directly into it any more and am micing the amp and have gotten electronic drums of my own. (My hubby has a great guitar amp too). Can you use n-track for mastering only? in other words can I import a wav file in and just finalize my mix on here, maybe run through some more fx and things?, master and so forth?
Anyone have opinions on this? THnx.

Quote: (victoriousmusic @ Jan. 26 2008, 7:07 PM)

thanks for your replies.
I have been just using my zoom recorder as of late and not my computer.
I guess I just got discouraged using the abelton and n-track both.
I am getting pretty good sounds now out of the zoom now that I'm not going directly into it any more and am micing the amp and have gotten electronic drums of my own.
(My hubby has a great guitar amp too).
Can you use n-track for mastering only?
in other words can I import a wav file in and just finalize my mix on here, maybe run through some more fx and things?, master and so forth?
Anyone have opinions on this?
THnx.

Yes, you can do that. Helps if you know the basics about n-Track, but in that situation, you're only dealing with one stereo track and just applying mastering effects.