N-Track or ProTools?

Please people. Let us remember that N-track is for poor and unfortunate ones who are either not intelligent, gifted, or wealthy enough to afford real, true equipment. Just as those who purchase Squire guitars, MXL mic’s, and Epiphone Les Paul’s, they are the ones who thwart society by promoting inferior products as superior tools to comfort their own insecurities. We must take this time to remember that nothing could, or ever will be, as good as Pro Tools. Thank you.

ah, ok.

I use MXL mics. I think the ones that I have are pretty darn good on their own, but even more so for budget mics! I know professional engineers, through my internship, that HATE ProTools.

What do the pro’s who don’t like ProTools use?

The one’s I know still use ProTools, but that doesn’t mean that they like it. They use it because it’s compatable with other studios, and that’s the key.

The obvious and often overlooked answer is that the software doesn’t matter. Only the engineer…

Give Mr. Rock Producer type guy the Playskool recorda ma thing.
Give Mr. Deisel Mechanic a Neve console and a 2" tape machine.

Atleast one of them will finish the day with some sort of semi-useful recording… And it ain’t the Deisel Mechanic.

I think you get the idea.

I use n-track because I’ve been with it since version 1. About 8 or 9(10?) years ago man, it was hot! Infinite tracks, small enough to download with a 28.8 dial up, and not enough limitations to really slow you down. I should buy it.

Quote (MidnightToker @ Oct. 28 2004,19:20)
What do the pro's who don't like ProTools use?

Logic (which is a great program, just complicated), maybe Cubase SX and 2" tape :cool:. Ive never heard of a big time studio using N-track (yet) (and that doesnt mean its not a good peice of software).

Ive been using protools for more than a year now (not at home) and I can do things quicker with it. I like how it has many key commands (BIG time saver), many more smaller features that add up, and I like how easy it is to bus audio from track to track. I wish N-track could do all of this as easy(and OMF import/export would rule).

Sure N-track can still do what I need at home but when you take in to concideration the smaller things, all things being equal Id choose Protools. I just wish Protools had VST/VSTi compatability without a wrapper...

i agree with bill!
i worked a few years with PT mic/HD system and its really the best workflow i know.<br>but i really like ntrack too, cause it can 85% of what i want to do!<br>and its a lot more stabile that the digi002 on a xp system.
that really sucked!
so omf import/export would be the first step to more people use ntack.
how about a feature request thread?
support in that way PT/digidesign is really bad.

Quote (hookahradio @ Oct. 29 2004,01:24)
I use n-track because I've been with it since version 1. About 8 or 9(10?) years ago man, it was hot! Infinite tracks, small enough to download with a 28.8 dial up, and not enough limitations to really slow you down. I should buy it.

You should buy it? ??? Are you using cracked software?
Quote (MidnightToker @ Oct. 28 2004,16:36)
Pics would be nice. If you have a web site, post them & then you can link to them, or if you can find the pics on the web, then just get their http address and post it.

I tried Cakewalk once (and I'm assuming that Sonar is very different) but it was totally unintuitive to me. I also tried the light-weight version of Vegas & I found it easy to use because it was track-oriented, similar to how nTrack is.

Toker,

I will throw something together this weekend.

*EDIT* Here it is..
http://home.earthlink.net/~cmdillerud/daw/DAW%20comparison.htm

Cheers,
C

Cool. I look forward to it - thanks!

I’ll check out the site link also.

Why hack when you can find some crack? :cool:

wha, wha, what???

Man - that Protools interface sure looks complicated to me.

Once again, what would Protools LE actually cost me? You do have to buy hardware with it - correct? Does that audio hardware support 8 analog inputs?

Toker,

I find it so much simpler. I guess whatever trips your trigger, no?

To get stereo USB interface with PTle is like $350 brandnew. To do 8 inputs, you would need to go with a used Digi001, which I think are now below $500 on ebay. Or a new Digi002 which is 18 simul(with ADAT optical), 8 mic pres and midi I/O, firewire. I think they are like $895 new. That is going to be my next purchase, actually.

Do you find the PT interface more complicated than the Nuendo interface?

Clark, do you have problems with the PTLE Bounce to Disk when you mixdown a project? There were TONS of problems being reported back in April when I was looking for a new audio interface. Those plus the $900+ price tag of an 002r scared me away. Do they have those bugs stomped out now?

TG

PS Oh, I’m a PC guy. No Macs. (Yet)

YOu know, I have heard those rumblings and I have NEVER had an issue. I would think that would be a bug they clear up really quickly

I just moved my PT stuff from my mac to a new PC. Giving the PC world another whirl…

In my estimation (which doesn’t amount to much :) ), I would not seriously consider a ProTools system unless I had $20,000 kicking around and I could purchase a small HD system and a Mac.

With programs like n-Track and Sonar, it just doesn’t seem worth it to buy a comparable program (PT LE) and only get the basics. In other words, if I purchase n-Track, I have lots of money left over for mics, preamps, control surfaces, etc. It’s the same deal with Sonar. I was already a Cakewalk customer and a student, so I was able to purchase Sonar 3 Producer for around $300, which includes the excellent Sonitus:fx Plugs and I still had money left over to get mics, etc.

I would consider a digi001 or 002 more of a crossgrade than an upgrade at the moment. The only thing that would make sense to me, in my situation, would be to get an HD system, which would truly be and upgrade (24/196 operation, expandability within the system, DSP cards, plug-ins, compatibility with professional studios).

Does that make sense?

Hey Guys
I have been using cubase sx2, a soundcraft ghost24 and a motu 24i/o. I haven’t messed with pro tools a whole lot maybe 6 months when I had win98 but I really wanted options that wouldn’t keep me confined to one manufacturers soft/hardware config. Pro tools is great! It is top dog. Avid has been at it for a long time but it’s not for everyone. You have to decide to jump in and go with the system or use somthing native. There is a lot of great gear out there that can do a job on par with PT. The motu stuff really works well with the steinberg soft. Its not really a matter of which soft is better, its which can do the job for you.