Need Wave Editor

Anyone recommend a good, inexpensive, and user-friendly Wave Editor?

Gracias.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Good and free.

D

Also goldwave, small cost to get rid of nag screens.

look here -

http://www.wavosaur.com/

Dr J

Hi jimothy60 and Guys:
I’ve had GoldWave and other Wave Editors, including n-Track sense the mid 90’s…

But n-Track has been my Wave Editor … of choice… Lately, I’ve only used n-Track to edit wave files…

Bill…

Quote (woxnerw @ Feb. 04 2007,05:42)
Hi jimothy60 and Guys:
I’ve had GoldWave and other Wave Editors, including n-Track sense the mid 90’s…

But n-Track has been my Wave Editor … of choice… Lately, I’ve only used n-Track to edit wave files…

Bill…

Can’t agree more Bill. I hardly ever use an external wave editor any more except for “topping and tailing” a mix after a mixdown…

So folks… if you use a wave editor, what are you doing with it that can’t be done in n-track?

Hi Again Gents:
It isn’t what you use… It’s what you get used to using … I’ve used an editor called PolderbitS to edit Starts-and-Tails of tracks and Groups of tracks and then import the edited tracks back onto the timeline of n-Track for processing…

However, Rudy over there doesn’t seem to want to entertain any suggesting from me to alter-and-upgrade the file resolution to 24-bits…

Bill…

Multiple Document Interface for working with many files in one session
Huge file editing: 4GB and beyond (NTFS only)
Configurable RAM or hard drive editing
High quality: 24 bit, 192kHz
Real-time visuals: bar, waveform, spectrogram, spectrum, level meter, …
Fast non-destructive editing. Cut, copy, delete, and undo take only a fraction of a second, regardless of the file size
Multiple undo levels
Many effects: distortion, DOPPLER, echo, filter, mechanize, offset, pan, volume shaping, invert, resample, equalizer, time warp, pitch, reverb, volume matcher, channel mixer, …
Effect previewing and presets
Audio restoration filters: noise reduction, pop/plick, smoother
Supported file formats (wav, mp3, ogg, aiff, au, vox, mat, snd, voc, raw binary data, text data, and more)
File format plug-ins for the next generation of audio compression, such as WMA, Ogg Vorbis, and FLAC.
DirectX Audio Plug-in hosting
Effect chain editor
Audio CD Reader
Batch processing and conversion
Drag-and-drop cue points, with auto-cue and file splitting features.
Direct waveform editing with the mouse
Customizable tool bars
Customizable waveform colours
Clean, friendly, easy-to-use interface.
Several built-in accessibility features and keyboard shortcuts
Excellent value

goldwave - EOS (End Of Story) -

Dr J

Thanks Bill et al, I didn’t realize n-Track had an internal wave editor. I didn’t see it in my 5.0 n-Track files. Where can I find it?

Mucho Thanks

Quote (jimothy60 @ Feb. 04 2007,18:36)
Thanks Bill et al, I didn't realize n-Track had an internal wave editor. I didn't see it in my 5.0 n-Track files. Where can I find it?

Mucho Thanks

It doesn't, but what Bill is saying is that you can cut, paste, copy, re-arrange to your heart's content (all non destructively). Add n's volume evolutions, effects, special bits (like reverse playback), there seems little need to go outside n-track for run of the mill editing.

Hi Doc and Guys:
That GoldWave certainly has a lot of features going for it… So does n-Track… They’re two clever guys… That Newfie… and that Italian… I don’t think GoldWave supports third-party plugs… I purchased the reg.codes for GoldWave and n-Track within a week of each other…

Bill…

Hi guys,

I’ve been meaning to post this kind of topic. You know, another wave editor other than n-Track.

Obviously, n-Track can’t do everything thing that all users want to do. It’s one of the reasons it includes one command called “Lauch external wave editor”.

I need to use Cool Edit mostly to get rid of noice reduction. I think n-Track can’t do like it does. Or maybe I don’t know how to use it. Cool Edit is very very useful for me to eliminate background noise, constant hiss, pop, click, etc. The transpose feature also sounds better than n-Track. It’s like magic to me. But I use it only for that purpose. Other than that, I just stick to n-Track.

Anything to recommend your other ‘wave editor’ and why you use it? Perhaps Flavio might consider including some of them in N.

Francis

Quote (DR Jackrabbit @ Feb. 03 2007,21:11)
look here -

http://www.wavosaur.com/

Dr J

Tried it, found out too many features was 'in the making' or atleast not functional yet. I'll stick with Cool Edit 2000, thanks. No longer available - Cool Edit Pro is now only available as Adobe Audition (expensive, has multitrack facilities). I still think Cool Edit 2000 is the most feature-laden, easy-to-work-with audio editor out there yet. Yep, I tried Sound Forge (too expensive and too complex), Audacity (too unstable and awkward user interface), Goldwave (too many things it cannot perform, like proper FFT filtering, for instance), Wavelab (a nightmare to set up properly, but adequate for most purposes), and Samplitude (great and versatile, but a bit of an overkill as a wave editor).

just my 2 øre...

regards, Nils

Wavelab - “a nightmare to set up properly, but adequate for most purposes” - that’s good information, especially given how much the darn thing costs.

I have Adobe Audition 1.5 and use it regularly. I like it much but I wish I’d bought the upgrade to V2. V2 has ASIO support and spectral editing along with a host of other cool stuff. Oh well… Too many wants, not enough “she” money.

D

Quote (Diogenes @ Feb. 05 2007,10:40)
V2 has ASIO support and spectral editing along with a host of other cool stuff.

There's some kind of spectral editing in 1.5.

I'm an Audition user, too.

Eh? I need to give it a closer look. Is it as full featured as spectral editing in 2.0? I admit I use Audition mostly for mastering and occasionally, noise reduction for files provided by other people.

Thanks Mwah. I’ll give it a closer look…

D

Audition is the stuff, of course. I do all my looping, etc., in that proggie now (I mostly use N for MIDI stuff, though I occassionally still use it for audio). But AA is expensive for a first buy. I jumped on the $99 upgrade from cool edit, but not everyone is so lucky.

Oh cool edit. Now, that’s a good program. It’s still around if you want to find it. The website I just linked says that you can search for a serial online, seeing as the program isn’t supported anymore as “cool edit.” Of course, visit serial sites at your own risk. Make sure you have a virus program running. :laugh:

-Fish

I have been using Cool2000 for years, primarily for noise reduction, format conversion, and dithering. Also for the excellent built-in compressor.

Sadly, it will not work with ASIO drivers, and my upgrade to the DIGI001 has rendered C2K unusable. So far I have tried Goldwave, SoundForge4, and a couple other freebie editors, and none have worked with the DIGI. I got ProToolsLE6.4, so I could use the DIGI drivers in ntrack (they work great, btw, even though DIGI says they won’t!), but it seems like overkill to use it just as a wav editor…

If anybody knows an inexpensive wav editor that can handle ASIO, I sure would like to hear about it! :D

'til later;
Tony