New metering plug

$49.00 ending soon

Here it is.

METER

My first thought was, "Why pay for meters – there are so many good free ones?"

Then I took a look. Time to get the credit card out!

Thanks for the heads up!

Hey Jeff
My first thoughts also and 10 mins later I whipped the card out :D Man, these are really awesome! Hope you enjoy them. I know I will :)

Hi jeromee:
That’s a great looking meter… It should be part of an audio person’s collection of Measurment Equipment… Including a Sound Pressure Level Meter and One-of-These…

http://www.dorrough.com/dorrough/

However, If you see one of these meters in SoftWare form, I’d like to get a link to it, so I can “Eye-Ball” it…

An Audio Engineer who knows his “Lograthmn” Arithmatic’s… graduated from university, who has computer expirence in writing software Code would do alright if he applied his education to designing a VU meter like that in software/utility form…

I think the math concept is not too difficult to master or, is the Software Codeing, for that Matter… I just don’t possess either… ??? :O But it should be taken on as a Thissisus Project… by some young “Wipper-Snapper”… I think he could make a $1.50 by takeing on a project like that…

It could be something new for Flavio to consider looking into? For a new version/build… of n-Track…

Bill…

[EDIT]
Jeff… I think you’d possess the energy and talent to take this on and do something like this… and present it to the Audio World…

Well, Bill, I’m not set up to do programming on PC (except for writing little utilities using Python). One of these days maybe I’ll get myself a C++ development kit for PC, but it’s not what I do at work, and anything I’d have would get out of date pretty quickly unless it’s GNU or similar (free & therefore easy to keep upgraded).

That Dorrough meter only makes sense for analog. But using a little horse sense one could adapt it for digital, probably using conventions adopted by folks like Bob Katz. In any case, a meter that shows both peak and RMS is simple. Note, though, that “loudness” is a very hard thing to estimate. RMS is just an approximation, and any meter that runs at digital or line level is also just an approximation because our ears behave very differently depending on how loud the monitors are turned up – something that the meter can’t know unless it has a mike (an SPL meter!)

Regardless, RMS is useful, and it would be very nice if n-Track meters had an option to show RMS levels (with adjustable dwell times in a range of from, say, 1 to 600 seconds).

BTW, the level of math required to do peak/RMS metering is high school math (for math geeks, that is). No knowledge is needed of advanced topics that apply to audio, like differential equations, convolutions, forier transforms, and such (stuff I don’t understand much myself – wish I’d paid more attention in Diff EQ when I took it almost 30 years ago! And then taken the next course or two …)

Hi Jeff:
Thanks for your reply on that idea.

Somehow, I figuered you and your challenage prowess to jump in have the where-fores to have the math almost formulated… for the project…

I can see a computer could handle that number crunching and visually displaying the information, to be second nature…

Mabey, someday I’ll take it on and see just what developes, or where the ROAD GOES… The basics of the Peak part of the meter crunches the number of “OVERS”-Versus-Time… I’m not sure… but, I think it’s something like a Log x’s Log measurment… However, mabey that’s not even the concept of what the meter measuers…

So… if that… being the case… -10db is .336mv 0db is .775mv and +4db is 2.225 v. then , The Dorrough Meter Measueres Calibrations in Time Values of “Overs”… versus Time Values of “Unders”… Well… ??? That being the case… and if that’s correct… then Overs and Unders are a calibration of a voltage that can be adjusted… I think a PPM Meter falls into that concept, somewhere…

Anyway, it’s a fastenating arithmetic project, to me…

Bill…

I’ve just downloaded, and had a play with the free version of that meter.

I stuck it in the Master effects of my n-Track song, which raises a question… (or two)… In n-Track the Master effects are pre Master fader? Yes? So the meter is only of use there if I don’t touch the Master fader… unless… is there a way to make the Master effects go post master fader?

Or is there a better way to use a meter like this?

Ok, 4 questions.

Mark

Mark:
It might be nice to find out from Flavio just where in the path/chain the meter is? I think Jeff originally headed the Effects path and signal chain of n-Track… And… What a nice bit of work that was… Jeff… “Thank-you Jeff”… That work “Motored” how n-Track Appears-and-Works to this day… And. there were others…

It might be nice to be able to patch this Main Meter at will… Mabey, At group Outs… and the like… Selectable in the preferences… Well…

As a matter of interest, I have the n-Track meters config’d to monitor the signal path . as… I right-click on the meters… > then Have the meters Show the Scales > then Have the meters Hold the Peaks…Valleys… have the meters display Peaks_smooth_decays… But… It would be nice to have an adjustable TIME-RESET to display (Mabey,Adjustable from 0_10 seconds)…the “OVERS”… and/or, instead of holding the overs till the song stops…

But, then again… if you’re going that far… It would be nice to have the meters display how much the “OVERS” are by haveing the meters display how much the OVERS are in DBs… Wouldn’t that be nice… :cool: :O It would sure remove the doubt of how many dbs the OVERS are…

This might be a BIG TO-DO to revamp the n-Track Meters… I don’t know?? but somewhere, along the version Up-Dates… ?? and builds??

Bill…

I liked the “Stereo” meter. Have not seen something similar.

A few (but by no means all) of the features are duplicated by the PSP Vintage Meter, which is free.