New user - 2 questions (for now)

Hi,
i just downloaded the evaluation copy and have a couple of questions.
1. Since I work a lot with MIDI data, can I see a regular music staff view of the notes?
2. I also am trying to install Jamstix but when I go to Track | Midi I don’t see New Instrument Channel in order to add the VST plug-in. Is that because this is the Eval. copy or do i have something else amiss somewhere?

THANKS in advance!
KP

Hi, Welcome,

<!–QuoteBegin>

i just downloaded the evaluation copy and have a couple of questions.
1. Since I work a lot with MIDI data, can I see a regular music staff view of the notes?
2. I also am trying to install Jamstix but when I go to Track | Midi I don’t see New Instrument Channel in order to add the VST plug-in. Is that because this is the Eval. copy or do i have something else amiss somewhere?

1. Not at present. Just piano roll.

2. It’s not because you are in eval mode. (In eval mode you can only have effects on the first track but they still appear in the list). You need to either move the jamstix dlls to the n-track Vst path, or add the location of the jamstix dlls to the n-track Vst search path.
If you go to “Preferences–>Paths”, there is an option at the bottom to get to the Vst Effects form. At the bottom of the Effects form click on “add” and browse to whereever you installed the Jamstix files. Then re-start n-track for good measure and hopefully Jamstix will appear.

HTH

Mark
Quote (Kidpastor @ Mar. 13 2006,11:39)
2. I also am trying to install Jamstix but when I go to Track | Midi I don't see New Instrument Channel in order to add the VST plug-in. Is that because this is the Eval. copy or do i have something else amiss somewhere?

If you are using the latest version of N it has moved.

You now need to go to Add channel > Add new instrument channel to add a VSTi.

HTH,
Rich

Good point Rich, I missed that in my haste.

Hi Rich and Mark,
Thanks for the info. I am using the latest version.

I did find the Add channel > Add new instrument channel and it wasn’t there so, I guess I need to point to the JS dlls.

THANKS for the info!!!
KP