Noise with N-tracks

Noise with N-tracks recording

:angry: I'll set up an empty song, press record, but I just record silence, no talking or singing. I play it back, and what I hear is noise. So I unplug the microphone, record again, and then play back, and what I hear is noise, like a tape hiss. I was wondering if anyone has ever encountered this problem with N-Tracks. I use an echo mia sound card.

Thanks,

Guy

(guy;-))Are you trying to record silence? When singing or talking, do you see a response in the recording VU meter?

No I’m not trying to record silence, but I want silence when I’m singing. Nothing more frustrating than having a loud hiss on your vocal tract.

Thanks for your interest…

Guy

Make sure you record volume is set in windows to no more than 85% or whatever device your using, maxing it out will cause some distortion, this includes playback volume. Hope this helps,

PACO

I never tried that, I use voiceworks, and use that as my recording monitor. Will try that in the morning…

Thanks,

Guy

You shouldn’t be hearing noise. That won’t be an nTrack issue. I suppose it’s possible if you are new to nTrack that you might have a different sound card enabled by mistake, than your echo mia. nTrack is Italian by the way. :laugh:

:D Oh I'm not a new user to N-tracks, I've had n-tracks since build 2.0 :love: I'm not saying it's an n-track issue, I just would like to pinpoint the problem.
I do have 2 soundcards, one is audigy, but I always have the echo card chosen.
:handshake: Oh I know nTrack is Italian, Flavio has been very good with support over the years. :)

I don't know what to say about the problem.

Thanks,

Guy

Bad mic cord ? It happens.

No, remember I said “So I unplug the microphone, record again, and then play back, and what I hear is noise, like a tape hiss.” So that’s with nothing plugged into the soundcard.

Guy

If you record stereo - I mean a blank track with nothing plugged in - is it
on both channels egaully. Or is it just the mic channel and not the line or aux?

Hi, Have you changed the settings in the Echo Mia console? In driver/advanced try both WDM and Purewave. Also try using 16 bit instead of 24 bit ( in the past I had a Mia that wouldn’t work at 24 bit with n-track).

Hi, Have you changed the settings in the Echo Mia console? In driver/advanced try both WDM and Purewave. Also try choosing 16 bit instead of 24 bit in n-tracks’ record settings ( in the past I had a Mia that wouldn’t work at 24 bit with n-track).

Actually I changed the settings in the Echo Mia console, but went back using the wdm instead of purewave. The recording at 24 bit was a bit less noisy than the 16 bit. :heart-break:

Guy

How about the cable to the interface? could that be bad?

Double check the 24 bit format being recorded to. If it’s not right (whatever that is) there can be noise. I believe it needs to be 4 bytes, left justified. But if that’s what it’s set to try the others.

Click the gray Settings hammer button thingy in the recording meter to bring that up.

PureWave has always worked best on my machine for whatever reason.

Quote:

I do have 2 soundcards, one is audigy, but I always have the echo card chosen.

Any problem with the Audigy?

Also, I have seen threads on this forum where after trying everything else,
the driver (Echo Mia in your case) was re-installed and everything went good again.
:laugh: RE:Any problem with the Audigy? Actually I have when I record midi. I'm going to try and change the soundcard slots. But if I remember correctly, I did that last year, and nothing happened. Will try again.

Guy

Hi

I, too, use an Echo Mia. I record in both 16bit and 24bit.

What kind of mic do you use? What kind of preamp do you use? The preamps on my little Tapco mixer are noisy…the noise manifests as a hiss. Also, if I record through the computer, the computer’s fans get recorded, sounding like a hiss.

Cheers,
Fuggle

I use the ECHO MIA MIDI.
http://www.echoaudio.com/products/PCI/MiaMIDI/index.php
Latest ASIO drivers.
Fostex 454 desk.
No hiss.