noise...

is there a way out?!

I know that most of the hissing in my recording is coming from my mixer and/or mic set-up but is there some kind of noise cleanup somewhere in ntrack that I can’t seem to find?

Quote (bravingthechange @ Oct. 18 2006,23:17)
I know that most of the hissing in my recording is coming from my mixer and/or mic set-up but is there some kind of noise cleanup somewhere in ntrack that I can’t seem to find?

Hi bravingthechange,
Not that I know of, but, the freeware wave editor Audacity has an excellent noise reduction function.

Jeff

thanks, I’ll try it out.

You really do need to find the source of the noise as noise reduction software will only go so far. Unless your kit is a complete pile of poo you should be able to get a reasonable signal to noise ratio by working with the gain at each input stage to minimise the noise.

Of course that won’t help now if you’ve got the tracks already recorded so follow Jeff’s advice and try Audacity or Cool Edit 96 (if you can still find it. 16 bit only). Be sure to save a copy of the track before applying noise reduction - it can be one of those things that when you listen back tomorrow you wonder what you were thinking.

Also try some EQ for a more natural sounding reduction.

X

Just thinking… make sure that the impedance of your mic matches the input on your mixer.

What mixer, what mic?