Not working: NTrack9 + Android 10 + Irig Keys I/O 25

Hello. As the title suggests, I am unsuccessful getting this combo to play together. When I plug in the keyboard, NTrack9 offers the USB driver choice. With ntrack’ s driver, I am then asked by ntrack if it is ok to access the keyboard then, after I press ok, the app freezes and the OS asks if I want to wait or close the app. Waiting for a few minutes might allow the app to resume responding. Most times, it remains frozen. When it responds, I get no midi or audio input. The in/out options in settings do not display the keyboard name but four android in/out options. My m-audio fast track device shows up and works when attached.

Using the android driver does not freeze the app but only built-in I/O is accessible and, again, no midi. Only two in/out options are available in settings.

A midi monitor app shows the keyboard functions properly on my Android device (galaxy tab4 sm-t530).

I have read the USB connection document. Does anyone have any success with this combination of components? Any specific suggestions?

Thank you.

Note: I get identical freezing behavior on a Google Pixel 4a. Keyboard works flawlessly on a iphone7 with garageband.

gotta step the rig man. you’re asking too much from such a limited system. start with a cheap laptop and interface. if you use a lot of real instruments and lots of vocals you’re gonna need the full CPU desktop setup but the laptop will do for songs that have 1 mic then everything else is pre recorded waves

I dunno, man.
Maybe you spoke regarding this Android tab in particular, but I got the feeling that your advice about getting a laptop is a kind of general in oppose to using mobile devices. If I got it wrong - feel free to correct me.

I actually started using this software on a device that’s considered quite dated - iPhone 7 and managed to complete several releases using it only (mostly taking it as a kind of challenge - putting myself into unfamiliar production/recording environment, etc.), not simplifying my workflow and limiting myself to any significant degree (through life I mostly used Logic Pro as my main DAW, for about 15 yrs) - it required a bit different approach in technical sense at times, but nothing impossible.
So if you’re stating that mobile systems can’t handle a live audio input and a USB midi controller at the same time, I would disagree :slight_smile: saying it from my own experience. that’s for the case of recording stage.
as for post-production with all the insane routing that usually applies, 20-30 sidechain-involved-instanses of something - I admit - the device sometimes struggled (poor bastard), but eventually handled all of this with a bit of optimisation of the resource-usage from me along the way.
And guess what, I consciously decided not to go back to a desktop(/laptop)-based setup and continued to use a smartphone as a main machine, yet of course upgraded from the “7” to a newer device - SE-2020 in this case, since I decided to make this shift, which I can’t imagine being unable to handle anything in terms of sound-related-production etc. At least not yet and approximately in perspective of next 3-4 years.

I understand that my screen-size-preferences may not be for anyone - i’m a fan of 4.7inches and its portability and the one that always scales down the interface of anything on this screen to 50-70% and considers it a relaxing experience for his eyes loool. Still, if the SE option is not for everyone in these terms, there are plenty of those edge-to-edge-display solutions that deliver similar/identical CPU performance (XR, 11 at least) for those who struggle with smaller screens. And hell yeah, they can do full-scaled audio/music production without having to ever turn on a laptop.

So just to be clear, my point is not to argue but to help someone who actually has everything he needs in his hands to avoid the situation when he denies even trying to utilize the tools he has due to a common opinion that a truly “serious” setup can’t be something that excludes a desktop/laptop. The thing is that you need a device that delivers a certain performance capacity in a form factor of anything that will suit your specific eyes/hands comfortably enough for you to keep working on it - it may be a modern (but not necessary a top-tier one) smartphone or tablet as well as, surely, a laptop or a desktop.

P.S. I know that devices mentioned in my reply are from iOS world and the topic is about Android use case, just pointing out that all this nerdy boring text should be considered as a reply to the advice of getting a laptop, while it’s not necessarily better and most likely will not be the most cost-efficient option. A suitable mid-tier smartphone from 2-3 yrs ago, even from Apple, will have more affordable price, as well as maintenance/service costs - again, saying it from my own subjective, yet consistent experience.

Hey what’s up brother I was definitely not trying to argue with you either my man. You are definitely right as far as mobile gear like phones and things like that being totally suitable and feasible as a means to do your work I was just saying that to run externals from the phones and do it smoothly then yes you absolutely need to have a somewhat current if not new mobile device for that to really go smooth without too many headaches because there is just something about every setup known to mankind that comes with a little glitchyness LOL and for me it was very frustrating when I tried to go your route a couple of years ago because of stupid little glitchyness or the interface working different due to the peripherals attached to the tablet at the time and probably also the fact that the phone tablet wasn’t perfectly current anyways. But yes you’re absolutely right the gear you’re talking about using absolutely will work without a doubt and you’re also absolutely right about the efficiency aspect of everything as well because that’s how I started with Ntrack is off of my phone as well and I loved it very much but once I got upgraded to the laptop interface and few peripherals that I did there was no going back for me LOL I hope all is kicking ass for you bro. If you’ve got some material you want to let me here I would be super stoked to get it. And let me know if you’d like some of mine in return I’d be happy to send you some tracks of mine. maybe we end up liking each other **** and possibly working together! have a good one man

Unfortunately compatibility with USB devices on Android is not 100%. We haven’t tested the Irig Keys I/O 25 so unfortunately I cannot be of much help besides what we have written on the user guide. In some cases also compatibility depends on the combination of the USB device with the Android device, i.e. the same USB device may work on an Android device but not on another.

Flavio.