NSKit Problem

I am using NTrack 4.0 build 1693 with sfz and NSKit.

About 1 second after certain drum sounds I get a short click on either left or right channel depending on the sound.

Has any had this problem, or can offer a solution?

This may not be a v4 problem. I posted a very similar problem to this onthe AudioMinds forum, as I followed their tutorial on how to mixdown a midi track to wave via sfz, and using ns-kit lite. I get clicks about a second or so, not regular, but a bit like your old lovingly cared for records - the ocasional click/scratch that makes your back lurch!!!

I prooved it is ns-kit lite causing my problem, as I downloaded an alternative soundfont, loaded it to sfz and then played the same midi track (a bass drum track in my case) through the new soundfont. No clicks. There are plenty of freebies on the net to try this. In fact, it led me to a site where I have downloaded loads of new soundfonts 'cos they sound great.

This may not be a v4 problem. I posted a very similar problem to this onthe AudioMinds forum, as I followed their tutorial on how to mixdown a midi track to wave via sfz, and using ns-kit lite. I get clicks about a second or so, not regular, but a bit like your old lovingly cared for records - the ocasional click/scratch that makes your back lurch!!!

I prooved it is ns-kit lite causing my problem, as I downloaded an alternative soundfont, loaded it to sfz and then played the same midi track (a bass drum track in my case) through the new soundfont. No clicks. There are plenty of freebies on the net to try this. In fact, it led me to a site where I have downloaded loads of new soundfonts 'cos they sound great.

Sorry, problems with works internet service. Still, it makes the thread look well read :D

Can you give us any more information? Do you get clicks with other SFs?

Did you bump up the polyphony setting high enough in SFZ?

Just thought I’d kick this one up again.

I get exactly the same thing. Clicks in the RH channel. Polyphony = 32

None of the other sound fonts I’ve tried seem to do it. I’d be happy to swap to another drum soundfont if I could find one that sounds as good as ns_kit. Any ideas?

Try polyphony at like 256 so there is absolutely no chance of hitting the ceiling. A setting of 32 is pretty low and will cause drop outs and clicks with many SFs.

Did Bubbagump’s suggestion work?

Nope. Raising the polyphony doesn’t do it. But I think I’ve cracked it. Hold on, it’s going to get a little esoteric here.

After a couple of hours of nerd-like computer activity I’ve managed to fix the clicks. The problem only affects the two bass drums and the side stick (rimshot).

The problem seems to be in the nskit sf2 file. Each region defined there has a value called “ampeg_release” which tells your soundfont player when it should stop amplifying the sample used. Almost all the regions in nskit have this value as 41.427 seconds. However, there are 32 regions (exactly a screenful - what a coincidence!) that have this value set at 1.357 seconds. Unsurprisingly, these regions cover the two bass drums and the sidestick. If you trigger any of the two bass drums or snares in N, you get a click…at about 1.3 seconds after initial trigger.

Solution: change those 1.357s ampeg_release values to 41.427s.

Method: download this utility sfZed. Use with care, it’s a beta version, but bloody useful. Read the help link on this page. Use the utility to import the nskit sf2 file, fix those values and resave nskit in sfz format (samples + txt file). Go into N and load up the .sfz file you created and everything should be better.

Phew. Bit of bloody effort, but worth it for an excellent drum soundfont.

Makes perfect sense. Well, with 321 different samples and one guy working on it, small oversights are bound to happen. BTW, couldn’t you just create a global parameter to set the release to 41.xxx for every sample in Vienna?

Most likely could, but I can’t get Vienna to work on my system. Every time I try to fire it up, it tells me I haven’t got a Soundfont compatible device on my system, so it won’t let me run it. ####.

Doh! I forgot, Vienna requires a Live! or Audigy card to be present on the system. That kinda stinks. At least there are other editors out there…