offline causes re-install

everytime i use my laptop with n-track on it when i close it and open it back up it goes through the re-install procedue…this is ridiculous and VERY angering…what can i do to stop this…ive been a registered user for several years now…

thanks in advance

I’ve had this happen in the past - never figured it out. I suspect, but don’t know, that it’s a reg issue.

Any takers on this one?

something, although i do not know what exactly is the problem on your laptop is altering one of Ns config files (there are two of them) N must use a checksum to see if files are correct not corrupted or hacked - if the checksum is not correct then N will re-install - i do not think that it is a registration problem as N will open as DEMO if the registry is corrupted -

what laptop and how old is it - it is possible that battery that keeps the CMOS ram intact (this ram must be kept running when the laptop is off) has run low - a good indication of this is that the clock aill never be right and the callendar will be years out - this ram may hold pointers that N uses if they are wrong then it will force a re-install -

M.R.

thanks…

what im going to try is make the 2 config files read only…maybe that will fix it…when im online make them read only that is so when i go off line and it reads them they stay the same

ill keep ya posted

It might not be the config files, but certainly could be. Anytime n-tracks detects one of the files in a specific setup list is missing or different in a way it doesn’t expect it will try to restore it by automatically reinstalled. It’s possible that already write protected files could cause this in a sort of backwards way, since a file that needs to be updated to show a good install may not have been. It’s hard to know what causes it sometimes. Nothing wrong with trying the write protect trick on the configs. If it works it works.

Make sure you are logged on as an administrator. Not being administrator may cause some files that need to be installed to not get properly saved to the folder they need to be in. After n-Tracks is installed it should be OK to return to not being an administrator. I don’t know if being an administrator is required for n-Tracks though.

Hi Gents:

Over here, I’m working on trying to get a LAN up-and-running…
In the past (a few years back) the LAN was a (wire’d CAT 5) one…
that worked with no issues… (Untill, suddenlly, It Stopped… ??? )
Now I am attempting to operate a wireless N setup between my studio and the house (seperate buildings)…
I have issues trying to resolve Permissions between the machines on the network…
At the same time I am encountering the issues you discuss with severall applications using n-Track on this network…
n-Track wants to re-install if this LAN has been shut down and the machines are not connected …
Then, when the machines are re-booted and the LAN is connected and I launch n-Track from a shortcut icon on the desk, the shortcut points to an n-Track install (On the Network) or so-it-says, on a (PoP Up Screen) instead of an n-Track launch shortcut on that machine…

At this point, the work-around I have is…
I delete the shortcut and go to “Programs” on that computer and create another shortcut from the Programs Folder and place it on the Operating System Desk of that machine…
It appears that it’s happening with other applications that I use with n-Track, as well…

Could it be that there is something that is…
OR…
is not installed in the registry that is installed … OR…
isn’t installed, when n-Track is up-dated from Build-to-Build…
????

An Entry that isn’t up-dated at Build update time…
OR an entry that isn’t read when the LAN is turned ON-or-OFF…

I know I have an issue trying to install “Permissions” on a P-111 machine with XP as the operating system…
Then on another machine that has VISTA as the operating system…

What a learning curve…
???
:p
:laugh:

Bill…

That’s a great clue, Bill.

Put the install exe somewhere on the hard drive where it will be always available, even when not on the network, or when logged on under a different user account. Do not remove or move it after n-Tracks has been installed.

See if the problem goes away.

That feature that tries to restore missing or changed files? It’s gotta get them from somewhere. I bet the install exe itself is in the protected file list. That’s bit of a Catch-22. Why bother protecting files if there is no re-install-from point?

(that’s the theory anyway)

Hi phoo:

Thanks for shedding some light on these mystries…

I wish I knew how to assemble all the questions I have into the correct terminoledgy and then be able to ask the right questions… by someone with the answers…

There’s an easy/quick answer to most of this computer stuff…
There’s so many clever guys up here on this board…
They all specialize in their interests… and… in their approach to their music and how it relates to what doesn’t work for some and what works for others…
with little or no issues…

If all of that knowledge could be
“Pooled” together into one piece of Brain Mussel…
Who knows what it could be used for…
:p
:laugh:

I have in-mind to install a couple more of identical hard drives into this Creation Station/Computer to increase it’s storage capicity to 1.5 Terabites… BUT keeping one of the 500 Gig drives from connecting to the LAN/Internet…

Is that something that would be wise to consider ????
Would that be something that could be acheived with little or no issues ??

down the road …
and…
to keep your Music Editors and plugs and all…

AND…
Work-in-Progress and all…

Or, would I be asking for Trouble…
????

I always seem to be on the quest for making life easy for me…
BUT…
in the end I find myself in some
“Stink-Hole” and miss the "Oppertunity to Create… for some unforeseen technical issue right in the middle of trying to put tracks together…

Bill…