OK, I actually have something for this forum

:slight_smile:

I have a couple of fellows coming over to record and play something or other, perhaps not in that order, Sunday, and was setting up the drums for the drummer - he’s left-handed, and it is fun to try to play that way, if you’re not, I will say - and I was putting away mics and stuff that has accumulated over the last few months and found myself wondering if my wife’s flute mic would be good on snare or something. It is really, really good. At least it is, to me. Sounds like 1974. This mic here:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ADX10FLP/

Hi TomS:

The mic is worth a try on-or-around the snare…
A good snare mic should have the ability to accept high sound pressure levels…
One of the first attributes…
AND critical placement the next thing to keep-in-mind…
as well as,
try not to let him accidentally smack it with one of his drum sticks…

Well…

You know…
We’re all gonna be listening , BIG-Time at your takes to see how that snare track sounds…
:)
:laugh:
:agree:

Bill…

This mic is tiny, really, really small, and I mounted it with one of those drum rim devices, but it is protected by an sm 57 mic clamp. I can’t quite get it positioned correctly AND in a way that protects it, but it does sound really good. Even in my basement. :) We’ll find out more tomorrow when the drummer comes over.

Hey… that thing is RAZOR FLAT from about 150hz to about 5Khz… I mean flat as my high school girlfriends chest. 120 dB Max SPL though so keep yer distance if your south-paw is a heavy handed drummer. With that kind of mic, you should be able to position it almost anywhere to achieve whatever snare ‘sound’ you’re looking for. Nice!

UJ

Well, what’s the max SPL for a snare at about 4 inches? We bought the mic for my wife to use on flute, and the thing is, it would sound good if she played Jethro Tull or jazz, but it sound pretty bad for celtic and classical, so it was not useful for us, but still, I’d hate to ruin it.

It appears that the mic with withstand plenty of SPL… You’d have to smack a snare head pretty hard to generate 130 DB’s from it… Now, if you hit the mic with a stick, that’d do it, for sure… That mic should work well for that snare…

Bill…

Bill, it distorted, but when it was not distorting it was by far the best snare sound I have ever gotten. Bummer!

Somehow, I’m surprised that the mic did thet… You sure you didn’t overload the mic strip???? and not the mic ? A snare can do that to a mic preamp pretty easy…

Bill…

Well, I monitored the meters pretty closely at times while we were playing, and as far as I can tell, everything else was OK. I’ll go back and check it all out. It’d be cool if it were a problem like that.

The attack of a snare is so fast that at times the peak has passed well before the meter registers the amplitude…
It don’t matter if the meters are analogue-or-digital…
To anticipate the attack , drop the gain by about 15 db… Once the first stage amplifier distorts, it’s all too late…

The only way to fix a perfect snare track after that is, edit the track in a digital editor and replace the “Hits” with a “Sample’d Snare”…

Well, start there…
Finish, when you hear the repro of the Snare track…
That’s still a nice mic…

Just a suggestion, of course…

Bill…