One Man Band Voice Helpers

The one I heard sounded really good Levi. This was in a live setting though, going through a P.A. system in a small coffee shop thing. It may sound like poo under scrutiny on a recording.

D

Free pitch correction

I have cheated on harmonies by doing a pitch change (very slight) and just nudge it a tick off tempo. It really isn’t a great idea to do it - but it worked for a short fade out part. I just added it to the vocal stack on that song.

Quote: (Dubious @ Jan. 22 2009, 3:08 PM)

The one I heard sounded really good Levi. This was in a live setting though, going through a P.A. system in a small coffee shop thing. It may sound like poo under scrutiny on a recording.

D

We used the VL4 live for a while int he Slang and it does a quite good job. The demos on their site are awful though. They have it cranked all the way to show off the effect which just makes it sound phoney to me. We have since moved up to the rack mount unit for stage use and it is beyond incredible. With the lead singer, two back up singers and the harmonizer, we sound huge vaocally. The key is using it tastefully. Gonna start to roll it out for use in the PTM shows.

D, as for a recording... err, don't tell, but I bet a few of the harmony vocals on the Slang EP were done using the VL4. ;)

Hardware try a Behringer Virtualizer Pro, Melodyne plugin, Autotune. Use your orginal track, highlight the area you want to harmonize, run a pitch shifter plugin, save as new file, import into new track. Find a friend that can sing harmony for you.

"songsmith you can be my number 1…"

phoo is a jerk

:laugh:
Quote: (duffman @ Feb. 27 2009, 1:50 PM)

Hardware try a Behringer Virtualizer Pro, Melodyne plugin, Autotune. Use your orginal track, highlight the area you want to harmonize, run a pitch shifter plugin, save as new file, import into new track. Find a friend that can sing harmony for you.

Err, that no work for harmonies over a 3rd or 6th, yo.

Is there a comparable VST plugin that does as well as the Digitech?

Man that VL4 seems like the bomb.
But if you are not that good of a singer to begin with, God it must make you sound 4 times as bad.
But maybe with a realtime pitch correction before you go into the VL4 - man that might be the answer to all my nightmares.

Say it ain’t so. If this had been screened in the uk it would have led to a revolution. I can see it now! Mountains of TV’s burning on every beach of this proud and cynical land :laugh:

Oops! Above refers to Phoo’s ‘songsmith’ clip.

A twist of chorus on a double tracked vocal can give a gentle illusion of harmaony.