One Man Band Voice Helpers

Do My Own Back Up Vocals

Is there some kind of device that will help this one man band In the singing department?

I would like to harmonize,But I could never do that…Is there a device that would change my voice on a track and make It harmonize?

I don’t want to break the bank,Plus I do this just for fun,as a hobby
I’m no were near being a pro at this…I just want to make my vocals better,by adding some harmony back up :)

also If I hear my self with higher quality coming from my headphones ,I can sing better…most of the time Its too plain…Is this where the Live mode comes In?

Thanks In advance

Quote: (Daner @ Jan. 22 2009, 8:52 AM)

I would like to harmonize,But I could never do that...Is there a device that would change my voice on a track and make It harmonize?

I don't want to break the bank,Plus I do this just for fun,as a hobby
I'm no were near being a pro at this...I just want to make my vocals better,by adding some harmony back up :)

There is a mini Perl pulgin that Punky Willis uses sometimes, I'm sure he can hook u up with that. :laugh:

Ah Minnie Pearl the lost love of my life. Best hug I ever had at the Opry.

I have not found the magic harmony plug in Daner. Some may know of one. Part of ‘the deal’ is learning how to sing those harmonies though.

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Jan. 22 2009, 10:16 AM)

Part of 'the deal' is learning how to sing those harmonies though.

What?
You mean we can't just put a quarter in to the software machine and get back a song that will sell millions and millions to make us rich and famous right now?
Nothin personal Danner!
There are pitch correctors(auto tuners) but they are expensive. If you hear a singer comming across with that robotic sound. It's a clue that their producer is using an autotunner.

Band-in -a-Box has a “harmonizer”
There may be other programs.
I’ve tried it a couple of times, but I didn’t like the results - sort of a tiney, robotic sound.
If pulled down far enough in the mix it might add some fulness, or maybe be a “new sound” for a recording.

A couple of things you might consider:

What you might look into is doubling your vocal.
Sing the song at least two times and then mix the takes together.
This is done a lot to fill out vocals.
You can also “nudge” the two takes apart a bit to add a chorus effect - maybe add a third vocal and the nudge on the refrain or other parts you want to stand out.
It would be pretty easy to create midi harmony for an instrument - you could use that to “sing along” with the vocal.
Finally, a third method I much prefer - find a really attractive female to sing harmony
:laugh: - Actaully, I guess the vocal ability is more important than looks for recording
:) - but I am old and need inspiration :O .

Harmonies, in my opinion, sound better with different voices.
This post is unsigned and the writer is unknown because of the sexist views expressed. ???

http://www.tc-helicon.com/harmony4.asp

A “Lite” version comes with PG Music’s PowerTracks Pro Audio… or at least it used to… I have it and it does a fairly decent job of creating harmonies. For it to track worth a hoot though, you have to feed it MIDI data with the notes being sung by the lead. You can do this via keyboard or drop notes on a piano roll MIDI editor. Using keys makes it much faster but only if (unlike ME) you can actually PLAY keys worth a crap.

D

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Jan. 22 2009, 10:16 AM)

Ah Minnie Pearl the lost love of my life. Best hug I ever had at the Opry.

I have not found the magic harmony plug in Daner. Some may know of one. Part of 'the deal' is learning how to sing those harmonies though.

Howdyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy :)

It ain't that hard, just pick the notes out on a guitar and simulate with your voice. A little practice and you'll be in there Daner!

Holy Moly! :disagree:

Jeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzz phoo, now I gotta go BARF!

There’s software on Musicians friend that I think does It…

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product…=241596

Yea that’s one Daner - buy that one - when you can’t get it to work I’ll give ya 20 bucks for it! :handshake:

Maybe I should ride Into town and see If there’s any gals who want to join my one man band :)

Seriously, have you guys heard one of those little jobbies that sit on the floor and you plug your guitar or keyboard into it? Digitech makes the one I heard. It added three part harmony to a guys singing with him banging the chords out on a Tele and it actually sounded pretty amazing! I’d like to try one of them jobbies out on my singin’ bud. All the technology in the times 50 billion ain’t gonna help MY voice…

D

Digitech VL4

:laugh:

Many years ago (about 15) I had a four track.
I used to record the first four tracks (guitar, bass, stereo drums) and “bounce” to a stereo cassette, then pull the stereo mix back onto my four track leaving me another two tracks.
Usually another guitar and lead vox.

I love singing harmonies but because I didn’t want to risk the losses of another round-trip to my cassette, I used to setup the mix to my cassette but add a send of the vocal track to my Boss ME-8 multi-effect unit.
It was a guitar effect unit but had a built-in intelligent harmoniser in it that could add two harmonies to the input signal.
I’d set up my harmonies this way and just switch the ME-8 in and out as I needed in real-time as the mix went down to cassette.
As BVs in a rock song it didn’t do too badly.

Nowdays we have sooo many tracks at our disposal I find myself doing literally tens of vocal tracks and layered harmonies.
How things have changed.

Daner, harmonies are not really that hard to learn and once you’ve got it, it’s hard to imagine how you could never have done it.

As for software, I know of at least one (budget) DAW that ships with a great pitch shifter.
If you can afford the CPU to wind it up to the better algorithms it works really well.
I guess with a careful bit of parameter curve drawing you could simulate a harmony… but then if you’ve worked out the notes to do that you might as well sing 'em :slight_smile:

Anyway, I hope you figure something out that works for you Daner.

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Jan. 22 2009, 12:38 PM)

I've always had good luck with degitech! At first glance here PkW I want to say;
"A stomp box for vocals? :-0

I might rent one of those for good trial time. Wondering if the pitch corrector is any good.