Opening older sng files - compatibility?

I’ve been stuck for hours trying to open an old song file from 2005 or so, which would crash ntrack every time I pressed play. I thought it was my ineptitude for some time, until I scoured my drives for an ntrack5, started it and BAM everything was working fine. Is their a compatibility issue between v5 and v6? I’d made sure v6 was playing in 16 bit, but it still kept crashing. And now I’ve got my file playing in V5, how do I save it so it will work in v6?

Hi spooner:

This is just an idea I have, that might help you and the issue you describe…

Would you create a new folder and call it “whatever”…
Then copy/transfer just the .wav file to the new folder you created…
The open n-Track, the latest version/build you have and open the newly transferred .wav file unto the timeline…
See if that works for your new n-Track Build…

I hope it helps you, with the issue you have…
Let us know…

Bill…

Hi Bill… thanks for you suggestion. The song is quite complicated and has many parts. I’m sure inserting them one by one into N6 would work but lining up all of those wave files would defeat the object.

You would think sng files would at least be upward compatible. Guess not eh?

Try saving your old V5 song as an EDL. Then open the EDL in V6. Your track items SHOULD be in the proper locations although you will have to begin mixing, adding FX etc, anew.

I used EDL’s to move all my old n projects to my new software. It works pretty well.

HTH,

UW

PS “EDL” == ‘Edit Decision List’ originally came about for video editing but quickly adopted by many DAW softwares for doing audio with video work. Attempts to retain the timing and position of events on “the timeline”.

I was under the impression that “Broadcast Wave” format was introduced to solve Multi-application Editor use compatibility issues… At least for Audio Files and Use…

Bill…

Quote: (woxnerw @ Nov. 09 2010, 8:16 AM)

I was under the impression that "Broadcast Wave" format was introduced to solve Multi-application Editor use compatibility issues..
At least for Audio Files and Use..

Bill..

That's true Bill. BWF is great. If properly supported by the application, it can save a lot of time. EDL is supposed to 'remember' a lot more than just the linear time position of the file though. Like I said, it works pretty dang good. When moving multi-track projects around between software apps it can be a HUGE time saver.

UW

When RADAR Wayne and I were chinwaggin, (he’s the guy with the RASAR 24-Track setup) on the other side of St Margaret’s Bay), we were trading Files Back-and-forth, between n-Track and RADAR… I think that was back in late v-4 - early - v5 Days…

I haven’t used any of that format sense then… but it seemed to work, for n-Track and RADAR… What it did for us was, it positioned tracks in the same timeline order, between applications…

It’s great when you have-and-use dedicated signal chains/paths…

Bill…