Overdubbing a track doesn't mute it

I sincerely hope not to anoy you folks… I’m slow but sttuborn… please bear with me for a little longer until I can post some more interesting questions or even start helping around this place.

My problem now is that I would assume that if you are recording (voice) over an already recorded track that track should be automatically muted while you record over your previous recording, and that doesn’t happen (still haven’t tried punch in/out).

To be able to work, I’ve been muting the track manualy while recording and un-muting it again for play back, but that realy doesn’t make sense to me.

Again, thanks in advance for any comments on this regard !

Hi Gamma:

You are correct…
AND…
I hear you Loud-and-Clear…

There has been many topics over the years regarding the issue you describe here…
Many of the n-Track users would like to see Flavio create a “BUILD CODE” into n-Track that would automatically default the NEW Track as being MUTED… after it’s created… OR…
at least add that feature to the CONFIG./Settings LIST…

I, for one would support that… Flavio…
????

Send some mail off to Flavio describing your suggestions…
I’ll back you up till your nose bleeds…
:)
:p
:laugh:
I get a Kick Outta these suggestions I have…
They all seem to fall on Flavio…
including the Board’s Members…
who ALL have "Deaf Ears’…

I may as well talk the Bathroom’s Door Knob…

:laugh:

Bill…

Gracias Bill,

I’m finding it hard to beleive that N-Tracks works like this. I realy realy realy thought I was missing something… in a manner… I still do.

In my logic (which is often wrong), at any time the record button is being applied to a track, that track should be muted. I just can’t see the point on hearing what you are overdubbing.

Please tell me how you normally work becuase I’m still sure I may be missunderstanding something here.

By the way, I listened to “Had I Seen Your Goin’ Comin’”, it’s beautiful.

Senor Gamma - I actually like it the way it is - it allows me to hear what I’ve played and get a feel for where I am punching in - I presume that’s what you are talking about a 'punch in? The way I work is by dragging the existing part of the track just left enough to hear up to my punch in point. I use the punch in feature up on the top right - (learn it if you haven’t already) - set my punch in point and beyond - set my punch in time to 5-7 seconds before punch in - hit record - the track begins at my set before time - I hear what is there play along then N drops me in perfectly - I play it way more awesomer than before - I then drag the left side of my new more awesomer part enough to the right to match up and join the first recorded part - I finish it with a mellow Hammond B-3 pad - mix it - post it - become an overnight sensation - buy mexico and put you in charge. Piece o’cheese. :cool:

Hey Poppa,

You did shed some light in here but please, make sure not to put me incharge of any country… my first edicts would be around elongating vacation periods so hard that life expectation would drop by 10 years out of too much fiesta !

I learned how to use the punch in/out feature with my previous recording gadget (Tascam PS-5). As you say, you want to hear what you recorded before and after the punch in/out, but my point is you never want to hear it while you record the awsomer part on top of it.

Dragging the right part of the track seems to do the trick, but I still think it would be easier if you didn’t have to do that and N-Tracks simply muted the track just during the recording period (not before nor after). That is the way the PS-5 works.

I guess I’ll file in my first request for V6: While recording is going on for an audio track, mute that track and un-mute when recording is finished (at least have this as an optional configuration).

Any way, you got me going with the dragging advice… now back to recording the awsomest song ever !

1000 Gracias man !

Hi Gents:

The last tracking sessions I’ve worked on goes back to mid-v4 builds…
Maybe, as far back as builds
2037 - 2046…
But I believe, back then the “Overdub” worked the same as overdubing goes now…
I never used the “LIVE” button to record tracks…
I guess the term is Monitoring and Recording “Outside-the-Box”…
I rarely-if-any recorded partial tracks where I would use the “Punch-in” feature, as well…
I never checked the box in the Settings/Config. screen where you "Name the Track’ before you record the track…
I always see the track called “New Song” (along with a number) as it appears in the project’s folder…
That is the n-Track Default…
system…
I might see the overdubbed track appear as many as 3-4 times in the folder… with successive numbers… e.g. new song_1,
new song_2, nerw song_3…
.etc…
I allow n-Track to numerically name the track…
Then I adution all the tracks and listen to each one by muting-and-solo’ing each track of the same instrument/voice to select which parts /tracks I’m gonna edit to make-up the “Keeper Track(s)”…
Well, something like that…
That way always seemed to work for me with my set-up…

It’s not how you do-it…
It’s how you get used to doing-it…

This proceedure is how I got used to Tracking…
using n-Track…

I can see that having a choice in defaulting-and-muting newly recorded tracks while tracking could be a a real gift that could be used
AND
would allow the Tracker to Free-up his concentration on the Creativity of Recording-and-Tracking…

Bill…

[EDIT-and p.s.]

I forgot to say…
Thank you for the listen to that song…
The lyrics to that song tell quite the story…
I remember, tracking the vocal track for it… A Shure SM-58 was used as the Vocal Mic…much the same as it would be done Live on a Stage…
It was done live in the control room with the monitor system’s speakers used as the monitor feed…
for the singer…
Maybe, that’s why it sounds as bad as it does…

Quote: (Gamma @ Mar. 23 2008, 1:17 AM)

...make sure not to put me incharge of any country... my first edicts would be around elongating vacation periods so hard that life expectation would drop by 10 years out of too much fiesta !

You just got my vote!

'Here for a good time not a long time' sounds about right to me.

To me, doing punch-ins and/or recording over a track makes the problem of correcting a track more difficult, not easier.

Try this method and see if it does not solve your problem:
If I have a track or part of a track that I want to change, I record the retake on a new track.
If I want the first track out of my headphones at a certain point, I use the envelope to quiet it at the point I want replaced.
I record the new take to a new track, then I use volume envelops to blend/mix the two tracks so that they sound right.
If I want to reduce the number of tracks I have, I can do a mixdown of just the two tracks and load the mixdown into the song, but I don’t usually bother with it.

With punch-ins I found that getting the balance just right was difficult - distance from the mic, maybe some change in the settings somewhere - plus sometimes the new take is Not as good as the take I created first!
The first take is maintained as referance and a guide. Give it a try and see what you think. :;):
Bax

Bill, I meant to mention. Before you record, create a name for the song (sng file) and save it. Example: I want to record my new song “This Sucks.” I do File >Save As “This Sucks” and save it. Then when I record the song all of the wave files are name This SucksL1.wav, This SucksR1, etc. Of course, then I can rename the files in the program by clickig on the title bar of each track AFTER, I have File>Move all the song to directory names This Sucks. :;):
I have found this a great help.
Bax

Hi bax3:

You are right bax3…
I create the project’s folder by giving it a name and then I go into Preferences/Settings ans browse to the path for the project…
I wouldn’t name the instrument’s track till I have some that will make the “Keeper Track”…
Then I’ll dump them all into a folder and name the track’s folder…
Then I’ll do another track and dump them all into a named folder…
and so-on…
AND Keeping in mind that I go back into Settings/Path to keep the un-named tracks somewhat organized…

There may be a couple of steps I’ve missed but you get the direction of how I progress into the project…

Of course…
there may be easier ways…
However, I guess it’s just the way I found that worked for me…

Creativity hasn’t struck me for so long now, I’d be frightened to death to prepare to set-up to do a tracking session…
The energy required to do a tracking session has all but left me…

Bill…

Quote: (bax3 @ Mar. 24 2008, 7:56 AM)

To me, doing punch-ins and/or recording over a track makes the problem of correcting a track more difficult, not easier.

Try this method and see if it does not solve your problem:
If I have a track or part of a track that I want to change, I record the retake on a new track.
If I want the first track out of my headphones at a certain point, I use the envelope to quiet it at the point I want replaced.
I record the new take to a new track, then I use volume envelops to blend/mix the two tracks so that they sound right.
If I want to reduce the number of tracks I have, I can do a mixdown of just the two tracks and load the mixdown into the song, but I don't usually bother with it.

With punch-ins I found that getting the balance just right was difficult - distance from the mic, maybe some change in the settings somewhere - plus sometimes the new take is Not as good as the take I created first!
The first take is maintained as referance and a guide. Give it a try and see what you think. :;):
Bax

This is how I do it.
I'll just rerecord the entire track onto a new track, or record just the portion I want to replace onto a new track, and yes you do have to mute the original track, but that's not too big a deal, I guess I;m just used to it.

Every program is going to have its quirks you have to get used to.

I have found a way for this to work as it should. I have SB Audigy 4 Pro

First,

Problem: you record a track “voice”. then you record another track “guitar” what you end up with is both tracks combined, “voice and guitar” on your guitar track when you want each track to be seprate. You also want to be able to hear the tracks as well so you can play to them. Under this situation you end up with 2 voices, (one already recored on first track) and and the other combined on the second track, which makes mixing individual tracks virtually impossible as the combined tracks become distorted.

What I have found, ALL SOUND DEVICES including ASIO, except for WDM produce this problem, however when using WDM drivers I’m able to record in stereo and each track after is muted from recording onto successive tracks and I’m able to create drums, vocals, leads and what have you with out each track (stepping on each other during recording.)

The problem is when wave is selected as the recording input, N-track doesn’t mute the recorded track because it’s playing back in wave format and therefore you end up with a combination of the recorded track and your new track as one. Only WDM doesn’t do this. It allows you to record a new track while muting the older tracks from being recorded, yet your still able to hear your individual tracks while you record. This is what it should do at all time, including ASIO or any audio device from the list. This is present in 4 and 5 versions of N-track and only WDM works likes this.

However this creates another problem I can only record in WDM at 16 bit and 48,000hz. If I attempt to record at any higher level such as 24 bit or any higher HZ beyond 48,000hz INSTANT lockup requiring HARD BOOT!!.

PACO

Quote:

What I have found, ALL SOUND DEVICES including ASIO, except for WDM produce this problem, however when using WDM drivers I'm able to record in stereo and each track after is muted from recording onto successive tracks and I'm able to create drums, vocals, leads and what have you with out each track (stepping on each other during recording.)

I've never had this problem with any sound device using WDM or ASIO drivers. You have to make sure the Wave Out or "What you hear" is unchecked in the control panel for the soundcard. The rest is just setting up the routing properly in the software i.e. n-Track, Reaper, Cubase, Sonar etc...

D

I solved the problem including more information about the problems I was having, known as source bleeding or audio bleeding. Diogenes, I never had problems in this regard “make sure the Wave Out or “What you hear” is unchecked in the control panel”, but your input was welcome. Old hat hear, sort of been there done that kind of guy, PC nut… Head to this post it’s a good read and it solved my problems and perhaps may solve some here in this thread as well.,

http://ntrack.com/cgi-bin/ikonforum/index.cgi?act=ST;f=1;t=7298

PACO

"Never put your head up your ass without a hat, otherwise you’ll look like a S.H.I.T head"
-Paco Skiinoff '2008

Quote:

"Never put your head up your ass without a hat, otherwise you'll look like a S.H.I.T head"
-Paco Skiinoff '2008

LOL... :laugh:

D