Panning a mono track.

I know I’ve done this before

In older versions of n-track(I’m currently using the latest version) I always recorded my vocal parts in mono. I would then use pan to get a nice stereo sound and mix all the vocal tracks into one stereo vocal track that I would add to the music. I notice I can’t pan a mono track now. How come? If I recorded a mono track using a real mixer, I would be able to pan the channel left or right on mix down. Thanks in advance.

JonW

Eyup!

Check you havent put NTrack into MONO mode.

Steve

Hi JonW:
You might want to, and try cloneing that vocal track. Then panning one of them slightly to the Left and the other one by the same amount to the Right… But mabey, not more than 20-30% … either way… You wouldn’t pan the image beyond or outside the image of “apex” of your listening area… Then create a New vocal track by rendering/remixing the Vocal tracks… Do this by creating a Vocal Group in the mix, before you render the vox… Try to get the two tracks to get the desired effect/image with plugs-and-all… then do a mix-down… Re-import the rendered vocal track into the time-line for replacment of the tracks you created-and- rendered… but don’t delete the tracks you origionally worked with…

This is just a guidline to getting creative with the vocal track(s) you have…

Bill…

Thanks for the advice guys. I DID have it mono mode. I was concentrating so hard on how the vocals sounded that I didn’t even notice the music in the background wasn’t stereo. Stupid mistake. lol

Bill, unless you do something different to one of the two tracks (like different EQ or FX, or sliding it in time), there is no difference between panning one track and panning two tracks. None. Zip. Nada – other than the way the controls look, that is.

For mono tracks, panning is identical to cloning the track and panning them hard apart and then drawing one of the faders down (the “away” side). If you adjust both faders, it’s the same as making a pan adjustment AND a fader adjustment.

Why do people keep thinking that cloning tracks does something? Cloning does nothing (well, other than increasing the level by 6.02 dB) unless you do something different on the two tracks.

Cheers
Jeff

<!–QuoteBegin>

Why do people keep thinking that cloning tracks does something? Cloning does nothing (well, other than increasing the level by 6.02 dB) unless you do something different on the two tracks.

Because they haven’t found the usefullness of it for anything but its most basic operation.

Sorry… I forgot to add to the post a line saying something like that is the starting point… or something like that…

http://www.ntrack.com/cgi-bin…woxnerw

This was a topic on an project that covered some Imiging-Ideas, for Track Mastering…

I have this OF Topic Syndrome… Wade through the chaff and scroll down throught the posts … Eventually, you’ll find some links to posted tracks… that’ll reference a project the cloned a Two-Track mix that was mastered by cloning the track two times then added to the mix to recreate a Two-Track Mastered version… there were no plugs added to the tracks except for a " http://www.kellyindustries.com/stereo_tools.html
" Phaseing Tool/Plug…

You may have to download this FREE Plug and install it to make the .sng file load the tracks…

The RAW version of the TWO Track is there… The “Rendered” version of the TWO Track mix is there… as well…

Somewhere in there… you’ll find links to an n-Track .sng file that was created by me that can be downloaded to a time-line on your DAW that will work… At least, I think that can be done… The tracks are posted … just download them and import them to your time-line and “Play” with the faders till you get the “MIX” sounding the way you think they should sound… SOLO the tracks they are very interesting to hear them… SOLO’d…

Anyway, I wasted almost the entire summer on this project… But ain’t that just me… :O :laugh: you’d think I had noth’in better … to do…

Bill…