Panning

I continue to have problems setting up my system to allow for the use of panning on individual tracks. I have both stereo and mono tracks; have been able to pan on certian occasions; sometimes when I open the song file I can pan…other times I cannot.

Am I missing a global setting somewhere?

Dan

Hi starwood:
It should be no issue for you to not be able to pan your tracks… In fact, to the right of the pan slider you should be able to open the dialogue box and enter the number from L100-0-R100… And the Numerical Number you enter is great resolution, I might add… However, recently I’ve been re-mastering completed projects I’ve worked on over the years using n-Track v5 as the editor… and not touching any of the features of n-Track except importing VST effects into the track’s mixer strip…

Some of these effects/plug-ins include This one is Free…

Free G Utility Meter/Pre-amp

This one isn’t… but if you don’t have this one you may be missing out on a great Pro Limiter…

Pro-Limiter

They post a series of Free plugs that work just fine. there are a few other plugs that I’m presently working with but these plugs are some of the ones I’m getting big mileage from… I don’t plug any products or I hope it doesn’t sound like I’m doing that, but certain plugs-and effects you don’t end up with the end product you hope for…

I am using an Analyzer that I purchased recently, as well… It isn’t free either… But In my opinion if you are working with editors in-and-around music you almost need these programs to work, with…

Har-Bal Harmonic Balance’er

I’m just learning how to use all these programs, plug-ins and utilities… It’s a never ending struggle, well…

I’m going to post a link-or-two to some of the re-mastered projects that I am currently working on…

I can’t help it if you don’t like the genre of music I work with but it’s the technical aspect of the music that I’m presenting…

Bill…

wix…thanks for the links…I downlaoded the FreeG and tried it…no joy. There must be a setting in nTrack that allows.disallows the use of the faders… Like I said before, when i began this project, I had no problem fading each track…now all are locked.

Any thoughts?

Dan

AaHh:
Think of the FreeG as a plug-in… Then use the plug-in as the pan’er-and-fader as you would use the n-track controlls… Just set the n-Track’s fader at 0db and use the FreeG’s gain,volume and pan controlls to adjust the track’s sonic qualities… Does this help?

Bill…

don’t think so…I added the plug-in…‘effect’ into nTrack and brought that effect into one of my tracks…but it does not fade…

Imn on 4.2.0 build 2093

Sounds like the stereo/mono switch might’ve gotten clicked by mistake. On your mixer in the master channel strip directly below the pan slider is an icon that looks like an old mastercard logo - two circles overlapping. If it’s got a circle with a line-thru over it then it’s set to play as mono. Click it once and teh left circle turns green - you’re playing only the left channel; click it again and the right circle turns bright red - playing the right channel; click one more time and the circles turn gray and dark red and both channels should be playing.

ETA: I just noticed you’re using 4.0. I can’t remember when the stereo/mono control was put on the master channel strip. If it’s not there, open up the master channel EQ and see if it’s there.

Here’s what I see…got the oval with the line through it. Clicked once and there’s a grayed-out greedn and red…no change. That’s all I see when I click…either the oval with the line through it or the grayed-out greedn and red…

Any ideas?

Thanks man

Hi Cap and starwood:
You bet me to it Cap… The little button to the left of the pan fader has … I think four positions “To-It”… make sure you mouse-click the switch to the “Dull-Red” position.

As I perceive the switch it works like this…

Left Mono…

Right Mono…

Left/Right Mono…

and

Stereo Image… This position is when the button is a dull-Red colour.

I hope this helps… Thanks Cap…

Bill…

Hmmm…might have lost some functionality here…only get the oval with the line through it; or the dull green and red…nothing else with my clicks…

I think in 4.x it toggled only mono/stereo, not the four options Bill and I describe. If it’s having no effect, maybe your soundcard control has a stereo/mono switch somewhere in its control pannel? I dunno, I’m just fishing at this point…

Hi starwood:
I made a DO-DO… Sorry. I am looking at my n-track desk as I post this reply…

One… A dull-Red Position… Stereo…

Two… A position with a Line through the switch… I’d say mono/two-Track. Left-and-Right…

A Bright Red … Right Mono…

A bright Green Left mono…

Does that help?

Just thinking?? Is the 3.5 mm plug that looks at your sound card’s out… plugged in all-the-way?

Bill…

Capt’n…you may be right on the soundcard. Problem is is’t s SoundMax Dell and I never touch the settings…except lining in with either mic or Lin-In.

Might it have anything to do with having mono and stereo tracks in the mix?

Check that you haven’t sent n-track’s output to mono by mistake…

Click on the hammer underneath the playback VU meter and check that in the “channels” both you have the stereo setting selected.

Untick the “apply settings to all channels” box as there is a “feature” that links the recording and playback settings… in other words, if that box is ticked, setting the recording to mono will also set the playback to mono.

X

Got it guys…when the conversation moved to ‘connections’ I reviewed my break-out box set up and found it there…

Thanks so much for the dialog and help.

Merry Christmas!

Dan