Pete Townsend Warns iPod Users

Pete Townsend Warns iPod Users

No… it’s not about file-sharing.

Pete says that his hearing loss came mostly from using headphones in the recording studio for so long. I can personally relate - I have tinitus in my right ear from a combination of standing to the left of the drummer for too many years, and playing my headphones too danm loud.
:angry:

What???

Pardon?

Seriously… I thought it was all a big joke when I was younger. “If it’s too loud, you’re too old” was my cry. Now in later life I really notice that I need to have the TV etc louder.

Mark

Doesn’t have anything to do with playing in front of full size marshall stacks for 30 odd years could it?

This is why I keep telling my 15 year old “Turn DOWN!” You don’t NEED it that loud and you are KILLING your freakin’ ears!" Of course, he just looks at me like I’m stupid…

D

I went to an audiologist about 10 years ago and found that I have a 20-25db notch in one particular frequency range in one ear along with a bit of general loss in that ear, the other ear being fairly normal. I had then make up some some “musicians earplugs” for me. They have inserts that can be changed to provide either 15db or 25db attenuation and a much flatter response than foam earplugs (I bought the 15 at the time). Hopefully these have helped slow my hearing loss.

I used headphones a lot when I was younger but tend to avoid them now. Also, I am lost enough in my own world. I would be dangerous if I walked around with headphones on. Never mind all the people I see with cells and ipods who seem oblivious to the automobiles, trucks and busses…

One thing that I really dislike is that many people running live sound boards (and/or the artists who are leaning over their shoulders telling them how they should mix :wink: have hearing loss and don’t know it or deny it. Can’t count how many times I have gone to a show and not only is the overall level too #### loud but also the high frequencies have been emphasized to the point of sounding brittle - almost always a sure sign that someone with hearing loss is running the board. Wish people would have their ears checked and learn to compensate or maybe learn to mix in the first place.

Peace

Quote (Willy @ Jan. 04 2006,11:01)
Doesn't have anything to do with playing in front of full size marshall stacks for 30 odd years could it?

Pete used Hiwatts to kill his ears. Marshalls, on the other hand, just tickle your ears :)

… and Hiwatt is a very appropriate name!

D

Eyup!

Yeah, got hearing loss myself, gotta wear a hearing aid to be able to comprehend normal speech.
Upside is that I’m not bothered by tape hiss any more :D

Steve

I used to hate wearing the foam earplugs when we were practiciing in the studio and my ears would always ring for a few hours afterwards.
The foam plugs just made me not be able to hear my guitar properly and emphasised the bass.

I got a set of Hearos a while back and whilst I don’t do much full electric band stuff anymore I always use them when I do now.
Don’t block as much as the foam plugs but they don’t make everything sound bassy either.

Rich

<!–QuoteBegin>

Pete used Hiwatts to kill his ears. Marshalls, on the other hand, just tickle your ears :)

I thought he was responsible for the creation of the stack after asking Jim Marshall for an 8x12 cab, but it was too heavy to move around.

Oh well.
Quote (TrackGrrrl @ Jan. 04 2006,12:19)
One thing that I really dislike is that many people running live sound boards (and/or the artists who are leaning over their shoulders telling them how they should mix ;) have hearing loss and don't know it or deny it. Can't count how many times I have gone to a show and not only is the overall level too #### loud but also the high frequencies have been emphasized to the point of sounding brittle - almost always a sure sign that someone with hearing loss is running the board. Wish people would have their ears checked and learn to compensate or maybe learn to mix in the first place.

I thought I was the only one who noticed that... Guys who mix like that drive me up a wall...

Er… no. You and TrackGrrrl are NOT alone on that observation. Sometimes it’s all I can do to keep from running to the board and choking the crap outta the guy “running” it. I’ve heard way too many great performances by excellent musicians get ruined by some half deaf twerp at the FOH console…

D – sharing one of many “audio pet peeves” … :D

Yip - same here.

We went to a Delirious concert about a month ago, and it seems that live sound people go for volume over quality.

And then when you have this overly loud wall of mud coming at you, the guy just turns up the highs to ‘make the sound cut through’.

And cut through it does.

cringe

I always hated the soundmen back in the late 80’s early 90’s that spent 30 minutes making the kick/snare sound like a thunder and cannon shot, and then spent exactly two seconds soundchecking the bass. The overall sound was always horrible - huge drums and guitars, and no bass in the FOH. :angry:

When I used to gig a lot I always enjoyed the drum soundcheck the most. Most soundguys start with the kit whicle the rest of us sat out front. I used to love the kick drum coming up in hitting me in the stomach, and then the snare slicing into my chest.

Can’t comment about the rest of the instruments although I s’pose as the lead guitarist I enjoyed the feeling of power as my guitar was brought up in the FOH.

Why can’t I login?

Hmmm, 4th attempt after deleting cookies.

The place was really jumpin’ to the Hiwatt amps
Till a twenty inch cymbal fell and cut the lamps
In the blackout they danced right into the isles
And as the doors swung open, even the promoter smiles
Someone takes his pants off and the rafters knock
Rock is dead they say, LONG LIVE ROCK! :laugh: