Pop Filter

Needing a good free pop filter

Hey guys,

Long time no post! Anyway, I’m back to using n-Track, but not for music now days. I’m doing voice over editing (my own voice, if you can believe it) for my work’s online training classes. Well, I’ve got the old Classic filters setup (can’t hardly beat them!), but I’m also needing a decent pop filter (free). We don’t really get decent equipment to record, so it’s almost impossible to get recordings that are free of constanant pops.

Anyone have a suggestion of a decent pop filter?

-Fish

I don’t have any software suggestions, however. I have found that I get the best results if I stop the “pops” before they are recorded. An embroidery hoop with a good quality panty hose stretched over it makes a pretty good pop filter.

Yeah, thanks Bax. Unfortunately, at work, we have no real place to record, other than whatever empty conference room we can find. Unideal is an extreme understatement. So, I can’t really setup a physical pop filter. :(

more gain on the preamp and keep the source further away from the mic, overhead condenser or room mic set up.

other than that a de-esser and a 16 band knotch filter if the pops are on a frequency that can be cut without a greater loss of sound from the source?

dontcare

Quote: (theinfamousfish @ Jun. 02 2011, 9:52 AM)

Hey guys,

Long time no post! Anyway, I'm back to using n-Track, but not for music now days. I'm doing voice over editing (my own voice, if you can believe it) for my work's online training classes. Well, I've got the old Classic filters setup (can't hardly beat them!), but I'm also needing a decent pop filter (free). We don't really get decent equipment to record, so it's almost impossible to get recordings that are free of constanant pops.

Anyone have a suggestion of a decent pop filter?

-Fish

They are like $12... you'll waste more time and spend more cash on a DIY project. Time is money etc etc.

HEy bubba

he seems to be indicating in post 3 he can’t set up a physical pop filter, kinda strange…

You know Fish, I have a mic (Beyerdynamic condenser) that has a built in pop filter, but not willing to part with it, if you were interested in purchasing one I could give you a model name #.

dontcare

Well, as another way to physically stop pops is with one of those “sponge rubber” covers that come with some mics - mostly dynamic mics I think. I think they are advertised as helping with “wind”, but they can help with pops as well -although they do change the sound some. Personally, even in limited space with a need to tear it down every time, I’d still go for a pop filter. One could be attached to even a table mic stand - and you can buy some that are not too expensive (as apposed to making one). I know you have ruled this out, but it really is the best solution for the situation. I have never found a plug-in that did a good job of reducing pops satisfactorily. I have gone in and used volume envelopes to turn down the energy on pops that got away from me in recording, you can eq that way too to help things. Sort of a pain, but if there are not too many and you really want to save the take it can be done. I have Sound Forge 10 and they have some Plug-ins that are suppose to fix pops, but I personally feel they change more than the pop. Sorry if this does not help, but I am apparently opinionated . . . . and stubborn . . . . but I don’t intend to be insulting.
Bax

Quote: (dontcare @ Jun. 03 2011, 11:33 AM)

HEy bubba

he seems to be indicating in post 3 he can't set up a physical pop filter, kinda strange..

You know Fish, I have a mic (Beyerdynamic condenser) that has a built in pop filter, but not willing to part with it, if you were interested in purchasing one I could give you a model name #.

dontcare

I saw that... but if you can setup a mic, you can setup a pop filter.... unless you are operating out of a coffin.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Free+Pop+Shields

I just leave the pop filter on the mic stand when I set up for our middle school club. You guys would be appalled at the noise in the room, too. Lots of computer routers whirring away…

I find the best pop filter is to pin protect the Disney Channel. :)

:laugh:
also TeenNick.
Quote: (Bubbagump @ Jun. 03 2011, 12:11 PM)

Quote: (dontcare @ Jun. 03 2011, 11:33 AM)

HEy bubba

he seems to be indicating in post 3 he can't set up a physical pop filter, kinda strange..

dontcare

I saw that... but if you can setup a mic, you can setup a pop filter.... unless you are operating out of a coffin.

I really didn't catch what kind of mic he was using,

could be a lapel?

dontcare

What kind of mic is the right one for a coffin anyway?

Thinking that only TomS would try that :) pls keep your eyes open
1. 'Thee Cofin Collection
2. 'Live at The Coffin’
3. 'No Pops In Da Coffin’
4. 'I Left My Heart At The Bottom 0f The Coffin’
5. ‘Honey, Coffin Reminds me of U!’
:)

Unfortunately, I have to use a headset.

Yes, you read that right.

And I’m usually expected to record in an empty conference room. Probobly less echo in the coffin. And I have to use free software or my own. Everyone uses audacity, but I’m like, “Umm… I’d like NONDESTRUCTIVE PLEASE!” So, I’m using my own software. I put the mic as far from my mouth as possible to still get decent gain, but I have no preamp, etc., so that’s not very far.

-Fish

Gotcha. So you’re using n-Track, or similar. You really could do with a real mic. Is there not a community grant etc that could help?

Where do you live, fish, generally speaking?

Funny when I think of a coffin I think of a pine box, y’all prob see a shiny one all tucked and rolled. Better acoustics