PreSonus Audiobox issues with N-Track

Interface issues with 4.2.1 2098?

Hi, I’ve been using n-track for years, but recently upgraded my computer and updated my interface while I was at it to PreSonus Audiobox. I’m having no success getting any of the drivers to playback.

ASIO: Basically, I click the play button and it depresses, but there is no response. At least there are no error messages.

WDM: I get an ERROR opening input device message accompanied by the suggestion to use OTHER THAN microsoft MIDI. Tried that… no help.

MME: error message revealing that soundcard does not support the specified format.

DS: No go

Has anyone had the above problems and resolved them?

Many thanks for any help!

Chris

revealing that soundcard does not support the specified format.

makes sense to me!

The specs on the PReSonus say it has a sampling freqency of either 44.1k or 48, also it runs at 24bit.
However, if your software is set at 48, while the PResonus is set at 44.1 that could cause an issue similar to the one you are describing.
IT is possible you have the setting at 96, or that the drivers did not load.
Your best bet will probably be ASIO4all.
check all that stuff and see if anything works, if not let us know more about your new system there are specs to minimum system requirements on the Presonus site.

keep shinin

jerm :cool:

If you have another recording program - even Windows recorder, check to see if you have the same problem. Jeremy has given good advise. You may have to call the Presonus techs. If you get them on the phone they are helpful - an email will take forever to get an answer and then they will probably say call. I love my Presonus Digimax 96, but I have bought and returned several Presonus recording interface units because the drivers would not work correctly with my computers. N-track, or Sound Forge or any other recording software was not the problem, but the Presonus drivers were. Presonus used to have a forum on the subject, but the critics were so many they took it down. That said, the techs are good and they may be able to fix the problem for you. NOt Everyone has a problem with Presonus (they were a favorite of mine for years) so hopefully this is a minor issue that they can resolve for you.
Bax

You updated the drivers for the presonus?

Also, compatibility issues listed here:

http://www.presonus.com/media/pdf/hardware_compatibility.pdf

Thanks very much Jeremy and bax. I did have the sampling freq set to 44.1, so I guess we can rule that out.

I still have some terratec (my previous interface) and realtec (my non-recording soundcard) drivers installed, but my system is as follows:

DFI LP JR 790GX-M3H5 AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor Model HDX945FBGIBOX
PNY 9600GSO 768MB DDR3 BOX GeForce 9600 GSO VERTO 768MB DDR3 DUAL DVI + HDTV
mushkin HP 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model 996659
SIGMA FOCUS SP700B 700W (800W Peak) ATX12V Power Supply - Retail

XP only recognizes 3.25 gigs of RAM, but the machine has been stable.

I’ll definitely have a go with PreSonus’s techs, but still appreciate any advice.

All the best,

Chris
Chris

Memory or processor does not look like a problem :)

I could tell you the possible reason only 3.25G shows up though…it may have to do with not having a 64bit O.S. installed, most likely the system came stock with XP 32x.

IF you say Ntrack is set at 44.1 AND your breakout preamp is set at 44.1k we can certainly rule that out, however how is everything routed? Do you have ASIO4ALL selected for both recording and playback?
It seems odd at least to me that the MME drivers would say that the soundcard does not support specified format if the same format was selected for both the software and hardware, that is why I ask, you say you have it set to 44.1k may we ask where this is set at? inside Ntrack preferences? inside the Presonus interface monitor software? both? (you can have one set to one thing and another set to the the other and this exact symptom will happen, press record, thump, nothing.)

I have had several USB devices that said they were set up properly when you looked at then in device properties…but did not work, sometimes I would unplug them and plug them back in once the computer was already on, then miraculously the computer would recognize new device and it would start working again…when I restart the computer, it would happen again, sometimes I would have to un-istall and re-install the drivers… that got old real quick.
:disagree:

HEy! I just noticed you are using build 4.2.1 2098…does anyone remember issues from that one and USB devices? this may have been resolved in later builds…perhaps you could get another slightly newer download of it.

keep shinin

I really don’t think N_Track is the problem. Version 4 was problamatic for many, but that would have shown up with the previous setup. I’d suggest uninstalling any of the other sound drivers and turn off the computers internal sound card in the BIOS (that may not matter, but it Might help.) I would go through all the protacals that are offered by the Presonus. Start with MME and then WDM. I actually do better with the WDM than ASIO, and it has the added benefit of being able to run more than one program through the sound card at a time - ASIO is only one program at a time and even if N_Track lets you change the buffers they are set by the ASIO program and cannot be changed by N_Track.
A couple of other things that probably will not help. Try running only one monitor and unplug any other USB devises and see it that makes a difference.
Good luck,
Bax

Bax, Jeremy, Tom, Many thanks for the suggestions. One or some of them seemed to do the trick. I’ve gotten the interface up and running. It seems a little “glitchy” (I’m hearing strange midi-like tones randomly pop up), but it’s working pretty well with all three drivers now. Time to fine tune…

It’s gratifying to know there are knowledgable people out here willing to help!

All the best,

Chris

Aare the tones because you have not entered the registrations code? I wish Flavio would add a flag when the tone sounds, but as of now, if the N-Track is not registered and the rial is up, there will be a tone produced every once in a while. Enter the registtration and it will go away.
Bax

Oh also, if you only have paid for the 16bit version and you try and use 24bit (because that is what your hardware runs best at) than the tone will appear as well about every ten seconds, even on a registered version, switch it back to 16bit and it goes away…

We are all glad to hear you got it running! everyone here knows how frustrating computer recording can be for a musician, when inspiration strikes you want to hit it hard! :D

keep shinin

the newer version os N_track are all 24 bit and do not require a seperate fee. I am not sure whwn that changed, but version 6 is 16 or 24 bit by your choice for the one fee.

Quote: (bax3 @ Jan. 11 2010, 12:30 AM)

the newer version os N_track are all 24 bit and do not require a seperate fee.
I am not sure whwn that changed, but version 6 is 16 or 24 bit by your choice for the one fee.

the split might have been around version 5, which had 24bit if you wanted to pay for the upgrade to 24bit.

keep shinin

That’s it!
I did notice a flag pop up along the playback meters indicating it’s an evaluation version and that the tones would be generated every 20 seconds. That prompted me to come on here and see what’s up.

With that: it’s been registered for quite a while and I believe I paid for the 24 bit. I tried re-entering the codes and it’s still happening.

Quote: (jeremysdemo @ Jan. 10 2010, 5:23 PM)

Oh also, if you only have paid for the 16bit version and you try and use 24bit (because that is what your hardware runs best at) than the tone will appear as well about every ten seconds, even on a registered version, switch it back to 16bit and it goes away....

We are all glad to hear you got it running! everyone here knows how frustrating computer recording can be for a musician, when inspiration strikes you want to hit it hard!
:D

keep shinin

That worked, Jeremy. I had to switch it on the input and playback to 16 bit, but I'm a little confused by that. I'm pretty sure I opted for the 24 bit version. Hmmmm...

Anyway, thanks again!

Chris