PSP Vintage Warmer

Hey Tom,

Man, I haven’t posted in a long time . . . Been busy with school and finishing up the album.

Anyway, I recently aquired Vintage Warmer and I must say that I really like the sound of it. I agree that it’s not very “clean” but I don’t really like clinically clean recordings (i.e. drum sounds that give the impression that each drum was recorded seperately), so it works great from me.

It sounds really good on male vocals, as I have not tried it on female vocals, paired with my MXL V57m LD condenser. The V57 has been accused of sounding brittle in higher registers (I just think it sounds clean), but the VW takes care of that and really brings out the nuances and warmth of the vocal lines. For harder music, one can tweak the high filter on the multiband settings and bring out the high end.

As for the comparison between VW and Tape Sim FX, I have both and I have to say that I like VW better. Tape Sim just doesn’t have the flexibility or the sound of VW. Tape Sim does clean up a mix, but when one AB’s the two together, the saturation properties of VW clearly out perform Tape Sim’s, in my estimation.

I have been giving the voxengo curve eq a whirl and brickwall limiting with the free plug from Kjaerhus. I’m posting some songs, if you want to give them a listen to see what I’m coming up with. I have tried the VW and it sounded really good on certain apps but the voxengo stuff is pretty smokin’

Jeromee

Drummer’s CD is out! Everyone go get it! He is one talented dude! I was not paid to say this! truthfully! :)

Hey Drummer - I may have been one of the people who criticized that particular mic. I have since learned the error of my ways. :) Anyway, I tried the VW with another MXL cheapie LD (that little squat one that sells for 70 bucks) and it helps a LOT on that one as well. The saturation is very well done.

Quote (TomS @ Oct. 14 2004,11:32)
Um..you think distortion is a normal feature of the world?

Actually, as I've gotten older and more experienced, I'm using Distortion and OD MUCH less. I recently took my all valve amp to church (90% of my playing) because my son is needing my SS amp for his band. Man, what a difference! Juiced up nice and clean that amp and my Strat just sings! Stomp on the OD pedal for a little pre-amp boost and a touch of grit...ooohh baby! I like it! The "drive" channel on that amp rocks too. I just don't use that kind of tone as much anymore.

I will definitely be checking out Voxengo and PSP. I don't own a copy of that Cakewalk TapeSim FX and I really think a "warmer" would help with my recordings.

Thanks for the info guys,

TG

I’m curious as to how others use VW. Currently I just use the Mastering Aid preset & adjust the Drive button to get the compression/volume I want.

My impression is that VW is a heavy-CPU plug-in so I haven’t used it for individual tracks (I usually use MixPressor for that).

How do others use it?

I bought a 15 ips Tascam Reel to Reel off of evilbay for 100$…
Throw a reel of Quantegy G9 in for 10$ and it’ll beat any plug in…
hands down. Just keep it clean and demagnetized :)

Ray

Mastering from DAW to tape seems to be getting more popular with the home recording community… The question is not how much a two track will cost, but how much it will cost to maintain… I keep lookin at em though…poux

Drummer's CD is out! Everyone go get it! He is one talented dude! I was not paid to say this! truthfully!
*blush* Thanks, Tom! I appreciate that.

I started a thread in the Music section with a link to the projects I completed over the summer if you're interested (I don't think you've heard the second project yet).

By the way, <3 is a common chatism for “heart” or “love”. Yes. I did NOT think that up. I am just too trendy for my own good sometimes.

No more maintenance than getting a new pc (or motherboard/processor)
every 2 years…Just make sure you can still get parts. That is why I went
with the Tascam.

Ray

Quote (savingedmund @ Oct. 14 2004,22:35)
By the way, <3 is a common chatism for "heart" or "love". Yes. I did NOT think that up. I am just too trendy for my own good sometimes.

Or I am too much of a fuddy duddy and behind the times. :D