PSP Vintage Warmer

Anyone here use it?

What a beautiful sounding piece of work it is… :)

(That’s all I wanted to say)

:D

so it seems to do the trick?

Hey Tom,

A guy who uses Sonar let me hear an A/B test with Cakewalks Tape FX plugin. I beleive it is similar to the Vintage Warmer. I listened to A: Tape FX bypassed B: Tape FX ON. It did indeed sweeten up the sound. Very NICE.

This PSP Vintage Warmer…gotta link? I’ll try Google too…

TG

http://www.pspaudioware.com/plugins/vintage.html

Yah. Thanks phoo. $149.00 USD!!! Ouch. If its as good as that Cakewalk plug, its prolly worth it…

TG

It’s the best mastering compressor I’ve found - definitely not clean or anything like that - really nice on electric guitars.

Yep, 150 US clams is a LOT. I’ve been thinking about it for a loooonnngg time. Somehow it is hard to pay that much money for a bunch of 1s and 0s. But PSP makes great stuff, adn I demo’ed it on a bunch of things, and short of getting an expensive tape deck for mastering, this seems to be the best solution. Thing is, there will be something better next month…

Anyway, as far as digital emulations of tape and analog distortion, this is about as good as I’ve found, I’d love to hear it next to the Cakewalk one, although thsi does a few more things.

I like distortion. :)

Wouldn’t bouncing to tape and back do a similar thing? It’s easy enough to get rid of any hiss or noise added in the process.

Tape? Wazzzat?? :D :D

Seriously, the only tape machine in my place these days is a cassette built-in on a cheesy Aiwa boombox. (All but worthless) Now, if I had a nice Teac reel to reel…

TG

I used it all the time, mostly for mastering. I just use default settings because it’s a complicated piece of software but it works great. The Neil Young song that I posted (and Charlie Thomas’s songs) were all run through it.

I use all their other plug-ins too - they are great!!!

Quote (phoo @ Oct. 13 2004,21:18)
Wouldn't bouncing to tape and back do a similar thing? It's easy enough to get rid of any hiss or noise added in the process.

Yes, but think of cost and maintainence problems. In fact, this only comes "very close" to tape sound, so if I had my druthers I'd have a nice mastering deck. But this is sooo convenient, and it really does sound better to me than other options I;ve tried, including things like the L1.

:)

Tom,

What does the PSP Vintage Warmer demo do? Is it limited in functionality…or just insert noise at some interval? I might d’load and try it but I’ve had poor impressions from some demos because the vendor was too paranoid IMO.

TG

Check out Warmifier from Voxengo. It may sound similar in name to the Kaboomifier, but this plugin actually exists. :;):

I <3 voxengo.

Yes, but think of cost and maintainence problems.
I agree with Tom's reply. Plus the whole idea (for me) is to work completely in the digital realm.

In addition, VW can do other things that going to tape can't do, such as brick wall limiting, etc.

The first mastering engineer I worked with (On-Track Recording from Texas) was a complete VW head. He's gotten way into the plug-in & really knows have to use it. As I said, it's pretty complicated but I just use the default & tweak the drive button.
Quote (savingedmund @ Oct. 14 2004,10:26)
I <3 voxengo.

Huh? I tried to decipher it, but if you plan to put that on a license plate, I don't think any one will get it. :)

Hmmm… <3 …a heart laying on its side? “I LUV Voxengo (Lying down…standing or sitting upright…I just think of Voxengo as a freind.)”?

That’s my best guess… ???

TG

Quote (gtr4him @ Oct. 14 2004,09:59)
Tom,

What does the PSP Vintage Warmer demo do? Is it limited in functionality...or just insert noise at some interval? I might d'load and try it but I've had poor impressions from some demos because the vendor was too paranoid IMO.

TG

It's (1) a multi band compressor (two bands) and (2) an analogue saturation-distortion emulation, so it can add some "drive" or nice distortion to things, in a manner that approximates tape. Whatever they are doing to model this stuff, the math or whatever, it really comes close to getting a real analogue sound.

It is a fairly unintuitive layout in terms of parameters and GUI - or should I say "quirky" - but I don't mind, it just gave me something to study over lunch break...

Give it a try - the demo causes it to drop out ever 30 seconds or so - usable enough for a demo.

I like distortion. :) that's my new mantra...

Thanks Tom. I’ll give it a whirl.

RE: Your new mantra…I’m a guitar player. That should tell you my opinion of distortion! :D :D

TG

Quote (gtr4him @ Oct. 14 2004,11:21)
RE: Your new mantra....I'm a guitar player. That should tell you my opinion of distortion! :D :D

TG

Um..you think distortion is a normal feature of the world? (here would follow some comments about politics and such! )