Question??/

Wav files

I did a big boo boo, I save a file then later i was trying to get rid of all the old versions and loose files, to i deleted them, now i find that the indiviual wave file are needed to recreate the song when you open it. Now i get a missing wave file error message, like wav.1 missing find it manually hit yes. I am sure you no what i mean. The question is there a way to save where these are embedded in the save so that all those loose files are not needed?

You can save in packed song format (or whatever it’s called). Everything you need is then included in the one (very large) file.

Quote (Robomusic @ Nov. 26 2004,12:00)
The question is there a way to save where these are embedded in the save so that all those loose files are not needed?

File- save as a packed song file - then you save them where you want them to be - choose the compression rate (high means unpacked) and the tracks you want to include.

This way you save the song file and the associated wav files.

If that's what you wanted, I'm not 100 % sure.

Unfortunately, the answer to your question is “no”. The options spoken of above use destructive compression. This method strips away important data from your wav file and it’s main purpose is for backups and sharing with a co-writers.

Ultimately what you need is to organize your wav fies so that you know which ones to save and which ones to delete. You need to come up with your own naming convention. Take my convention for example:
Guitar_Acc_03
Guitar_Bass_10
Guitar_Elect_01
Keys_02
Vocal_Lead_04
Vocal_Harmony_02

The advantage of this convention is that your wav file now get listed alphabeticaly and are grouped together with like files. This makes it easier to recognize them and delete the ones you don’t use.

In my example you know it took you 4 takes to get the lead vocal you want. You then erase Vocal_lead_01 thru Vocal_Lead_03. As your song evolves you will need to track the steps you took to get there. The best way is to do that is to name files with a name that means something to you.

I use a similar convention for naming my “.sng” files. All the way down to my final mixdown. Typically a finished production will contain 5-15 “.sng” files. Giving each project it’s own directory is essential

Understand??

-steale

The options spoken of above use destructive compression.
It does but it doesn't have to and won't unless you blindly use the default settings when saving a packed song. The amount of compression slider is always available when doing this. To lose no info slide it all the way to the right. I do this regularly.

It makes for pretty big files though. Keep in mind that a FAT32 drive doesn't support files larger than 4 gigs. If you have songs that have more waves than that total then you'll need to use compression or a drive formated with NTFS (not available under Win98).

I don't know if packed song creation will split up files into 4 gig chunks. If it does then the 4 gig limitation might not matter.