"In The Dark" - Now with 100% more vocals!

Featuring Bruffie!

If you listened to Dark 2.0 and liked it … or even if you hated it … of for that matter, even if you didn’t listen to it at all … I present to you:

In The Dark.mp3

Thats our very own Bruffie on the lyrics & vocals! I think they really make a huge difference and add greatly to the song!

Thanks Bruffie for taking this song to a whole new level! :cool:

Aside from the new vocals, there are other (more subtle) improvements. I will leave you to discover those on your own. :wink:

I’m thinking this one might just be “done” (for the most part). I’m sure there are other changes I could make, and clearly my EQ skills aren’t the greatest, but it sounds pretty decent on my monitors, and in my car. :)

Any feedback is welcome!

Eyup!

Having vocals brings a whole new dimension Chris.
I hated the music box before, but now I think it’s ok, the vocals put it into context.
Thumbs up!

Steve

Well I didn’t hate the music before I really liked it quite well. Maybe the best piece of music here on this forum.

I do agree, the vocals do take the song to the next level. Very well done. Here are some thing I’d do differently. So these comments are just a matter of personal preference.

What are you using for the vocal mic?

Reverb on the vox sounds a little tinny.

The accoustic guitar needs to come forwards in the mix 2-3 db.

Lead guitar back it off slightly 1-2 db.

Cymbals need to back off slightly 1-2 db.

Redo the vocals or use a pitch correction software at 2:12. He is just plain flat on the pitch.

I know these things are really nit-picky.

Again great job with the recording and song writing!

Bill:cool:

yup, i dig this. the sound of the vocalist is not what i expected… but he is a good singer. it went in a different direction than i expected but it definetly works! i absolutely love the instrumentation, etc. i half expected to hear that blippy melody by itself in the bridge break (as in the intro), but maybe that would have been too predicatable.

Hi Guys,

Don’t blame CMW for the quality of the vocals on this.
I recorded them on the spur of the moment, one take and using a simple Shure PG58 mic. As I wasn’t sure wether he would like the idea, I didn’t take hours over them and, on reflection, should probably have re-done them and taken more care. But, to be honest I don’t get much better anyway :D
CMW took my wav files and put them into his master and did a good job on the mix I think.
Thanks for the constructive comments. I enjoyed collaborating on this and love the instrumentation very much.

CMW… Great fun mate, Thanks. :)

Nice job guys. Ian - Billy Idol’s got nothing on you!

My only criticism is that the the bass needs to really be brought out in the mix, through compression and/or EQ or both.

PS - I listened again. I would bring in some power chords on just the chorus.

Quote (Mr Soul @ Oct. 20 2005,00:13)
Nice job guys. Ian - Billy Idol's got nothing on you!

My only criticism is that the the bass needs to really be brought out in the mix, through compression and/or EQ or both.

PS - I listened again. I would bring in some power chords on just the chorus.

Hi Mike!

Billy Idol hey! Well he's got hair for a start :D

Thanks for taking the time Mike,

Cheers,
Ian

Enjoyed guys. I know the vocals were added later but maybe would redo and back off lead walking over top of vocals. Catchy hook! Had me. :D

Footnote, Bruffie, you do sound like Idol. :D (A younger Billy Idol, not the old fart he is now, LOL)

The acoustic with the keyboard intro has me thinking Ray Davies and The Kinks for some reason! But hey, I love the Kinks. :D

Quote (YazMiester @ Oct. 21 2005,15:39)
Footnote, Bruffie, you do sound like Idol. :D (A younger Billy Idol, not the old fart he is now, LOL)

So Yaz,

What makes you think I'm younger than Idol? :D

Cheers,
Bruffie (possible old fart)

Bruffie, maybe you’ve found the fountain of youth! :D

As I approach 50 my vocals sound more and more like warmed over geese farts. :(