"Modify date set in the future"...

Hi all (and especially Flavio),

I am a long-time NTrack user, and I recently ran into an annoying problem wiht version 3.3. I downloaded some tracks to my computer from a live recording session and somehow the “modify date” was set to December 2005 (it is currently the end of April).

Well, when I try to import these wave files into NTrack, it brings up a pop-up warning me that the modify date is in the future and when the pop-up is dismissed (by clicking OK or cancelling the window), another pops up and the cycle goes on endlessly. This effectively crashes NTrack 3.3.

I hope that this is not a problem in v4.0, but I thought I would put out some info on this recently discovered “bug”.

-BB

http://www.ntrack.com/cgi-bin…ate+set

The problem disappears after december 2005 I guess.

I ran into that recently. Teryeah, who lives in Norway is way earlier than my time by about 9 hours or so. He sent me some files that were set to his time and I could either convert them or wait a day.

One way to get around it is to set you clock ahead, but that just avoids the problem.

The other thing to do is to open the files in a wave editor while the clock is set ahead, set the clock back, then do Save As… to a new filename. This worked for me, but might not work for you. This is what I did with Teryeah’s files.

This problem isn’t specific to n-Tracks, so it won’t go away in V4.

There are probably file utilities out that that will let you set these dates without having to Save As…

Then again maybe someone is saying “Don’t Open Until Christmas.” :)

There are probably file utilities out that that will let you set these dates without having to Save As...

Unix has a command called "touch" that can set the date/time on a file to "now".

So what? Well, there are various freeware/shareware/commercial Unix-style tool packages for Windows and Dos that contain the "touch" command. Might be worth a try if Phoo's idea doesn't work.

Mark

I am sure that the problem is a security “feature” in XP, and that NTrack is just passing the error along to me. I am not familiar enough with the the filesystem to know whether this default behavior can be circumvented by Flavio’s wonderful programming skillz.

Audacity does not seem to have the same problem with reading the file, so it may only be a problem if the file is opened in both read and write modes (windows if probably preventing N from getting a lock on a “corrupted” file in write mode). So, anywhoo, I used “Export as Wav…” in audacity to write te file to disk without having to mess with the system timer. Audacity has its own problems in XP, though. It will CANNOT write over the old version of a file, even though this works in win98…

Anyway, thanks for the tip about “touch.” I have CygWin installed on my computer and I’ll probably use that and be done with it!

Couldn’t you just copy the file and paste a copy to a different folder in Explorer. That new file should have the current date.

HIt Google. There are about a zillion free programs that can change time stamps in Windows.

<!–QuoteBegin>

Couldn’t you just copy the file and paste a copy to a different folder in Explorer. That new file should have the current date.

Unfortunately, no. That will set a new Created date, but the Modified date stays the same. Modified is the one Window’s file system is barfing at. The way Created and Modified are used is a bit confusing.