Reason for the Flu Shot Shortage

How far can it be stretched?

Discuss…

<!–QuoteBegin>

Subject: Flu Shot Info

How the vaccine works:

Influenza vaccine is produced by growing the virus in eggs. The virus is killed and processed to create the vaccine, which is given by injection under the skin. The body then produces antibodies to the virus over the next two to four weeks. If the immunized person then comes into contact with the influenza virus, the antibodies attack and kill the virus before it has a chance to cause infection. The vaccine contains the 3 most likely strains to be active during the “flu season”

Why the shortage:

Almost half of the nation’s flu vaccine will not be delivered this year. Chiron, a major manufacturer of flu vaccine, will not be distributing any influenza vaccine this flu season. Chiron was to make 46-48 million doses vaccine for the United States. Chiron is a British company. Recently British health officials stopped Chiron from distributing and making the vaccine when inspectors found unsanitary conditions in the labs. Some lots of the vaccine were recalled and destroyed.

Why is our vaccine made in the UK and not the US?

The major pharmaceutical companies in the US provided almost 90% of the nations flu vaccine at one time. They did this despite a very low profit margin for the product. Basically, they were doing us a favor. In the late 80’s a man from North Carolina who had received the vaccine got the flu. The strain he caught was one of the strains in that years vaccine made by a US company. What did he do? He sued and he won. He was awarded almost $5 million! After that case was appealed and lost, most US pharmaceutical companies stopped making the vaccine. The liability out weighed the profit margin. Since UK and Canadian laws prohibit such frivolous law suits UK and Canadian companies began selling the vaccine in the US.

By the way…the lawyer that represented the man in the flu shot law suit was a young ambulance chaser by the name of John Edwards.

What do you call a million lawyers at the bott…oh, never mind! :D :D

TG

Just a word of advice foranyone who uses shots and antibodies. --don’t do it.
You never know, someday society as we know it might collaps. Those of use who refuse vaccines and antibodies will have a much better chance of survival due to our body’s ability to fight these things off without help. A person who uses these things will have no natural antibodies and has a poor chance of survival in a world with so many viruses and bacteria’s.
Heaven forbid such a thing should happen, but if it did my body wouldn’t even know the difference.

jerm

Quote (jeremysdemo @ Oct. 22 2004,16:47)
You never know, someday society as we know it might collaps. Those of use who refuse vaccines and antibodies will have a much better chance of survival due to our body's ability to fight these things off without help. A person who uses these things will have no natural antibodies and has a poor chance of survival in a world with so many viruses and bacteria's.

John Connor? - Is that you?

The attack began at 6:18 PM, just like he said it would. Judgment Day. The day the human race was nearly destroyed by the weapons they built to protect them. The Terminator knew...he tried to tell us. But I didn't want to hear it. Our destiny was never to stop Judgment Day. It was merely to survive it. Maybe the future has been written, I don't know. All I know is what the Terminator taught me...never stop fighting, and I never will. The battle has just begun...
Those of use who refuse vaccines and antibodies will have a much better chance of survival due to our body's ability to fight these things off without help. A person who uses these things will have no natural antibodies and has a poor chance of survival in a world with so many viruses and bacteria's.

No, not really. All a vaccine does is create the antibodies that would occur naturally should you be infected with such an infection, without getting sick since they use dead virii in the vaccine, rather than live (in most cases) which have the tendency to knock you around.

The last live polio virus is due for destruction in a lab in australia sometime soon - polio just doesn't occur in australia any more after extentsive vaccination programs - is this wilful extinction, and is it right?
Quote (Willy @ Oct. 22 2004,21:37)
Those of use who refuse vaccines and antibodies will have a much better chance of survival due to our body's ability to fight these things off without help. A person who uses these things will have no natural antibodies and has a poor chance of survival in a world with so many viruses and bacteria's.

No, not really. All a vaccine does is create the antibodies that would occur naturally should you be infected with such an infection, without getting sick since they use dead virii in the vaccine, rather than live (in most cases) which have the tendency to knock you around.

The last live polio virus is due for destruction in a lab in australia sometime soon - polio just doesn't occur in australia any more after extentsive vaccination programs - is this wilful extinction, and is it right?
Connor huh John? good one! Don't I feel the stooge right about now. But I'm mature enough to take one for the team..tehe

Really willy?
That's a shame to think about them destroying it. It's just like scientist to always "Play God". Their gonna destroy it only to find out later it's a cure for something else...tehe

Well, maybe, but probably not - "hey, it cures cancer but you can’t walk afterwards!"

Just a touch Phyrric.

No, I’m thinking more along the lines of “it’s the last in existence, should it be left alone in a tube because of that fact?”

Those of use who refuse vaccines and antibodies will have a much better chance of survival due to our body's ability to fight these things off without help.
Those who haven't been vaccinated would be the first to go. They wouldn't have the antibodies to fight like those who have been vaccinated. It's a natural process to provide antibodies to combat diseases, regardless of whether or not an injection has been administered.
By the way...the lawyer that represented the man in the flu shot law suit was a young ambulance chaser by the name of John Edwards.

This didn't hit anyone funny?

Not particularly - mostly because I don’t get it…

You aren’t in the US. The whole point of the article was to discredit John Edwards. He’s running for VP with Kerry and the article was forward to me from a long time friend that is a hard right-winger. It’s a bit of Republican smear because John Edwards was a trial lawyer in NC before being elected to the Senate. Because he was a trial lawyer and went against insurance companies many times (and won) it’s his fault the flu shots are not available in the US today.

Feel lucky you don’t have to endure this kind of politics on a daily basis.

And the case they talk about never happened, AFAICT. :) This is just a lie, and in terms of economics a flawed argument. Litigation costs contribute very little to overall costs in any economic sector, and there is a very good argument to be made that says that they lower costs. Think about it - once a case has been decided (like the infamous hot coffee case) then all folks have to do to avoid liability is comply with the rules established by the case - which is usually sooooo easy to do that it costs almost nothing (like a label warning). Then what happens? People are protected from harm, so that the costs of those harms are massively reduced. So the lawsuit cost one company some money, but in the end has the effect of preventing harms and hence lowering all sorts of costs - medical, lost labor, lost taxes…

The reason that the vaccines are produced overseas has to do with other economic factors. the majority of people are too ignorant to see this or understand how economies work, and public leaders are often too cowardly to explain it to them. :)

No, it didn’t happen. What DID happen, for anybody who wants to look into it, was the Clinton’s takeover of the vaccination program and the subsequent abandonment of vaccine production by all but two providers to the US market.

It is worth the time to look into, for anybody who looks longingly toward gumment-provided health care. Been listening to my favorite classical station here in the Detroit area - happens to be out of Windsor. It would do well to pay attention to their efforts to salvage what is left of their health care system over there too.

Kerry’s gonna fix it all though.

What DID happen, for anybody who wants to look into it, was the Clinton's takeover of the vaccination program and the subsequent abandonment of vaccine production by all but two providers to the US market.

Could you elaborate on this alittle more? I find it interesting that Clinton is still being blamed for stuff even though the Republicans have been in complete charge of the government for at least 4 years!
Quote (pete @ Oct. 26 2004,10:33)
Kerry's gonna fix it all though.

Ignore this infidel my friends ....
No doubt a puppet of the capitalist right wing :angry:

Ali bin Gali :cool:

Look how well socialized medicine is doing in the UK ...

HillaryCare - " Just think of all the friends you'll make while waiting on line "

... because we feel your pain :)

Quote (MidnightToker @ Oct. 26 2004,10:54)
I find it interesting that Clinton is still being blamed for stuff even though the Republicans have been in complete charge of the government for at least 4 years!

The w h e e l s o f g o v e r n m e n t t u r n s l o w .
Could you elaborate on this alittle more? I find it interesting that Clinton is still being blamed for stuff even though the Republicans have been in complete charge of the government for at least 4 years!

Yes, I could.

Sure I will... right after I'm done kicking myself for wasting time posting here. I love doing other's homework for them, just so I can be called a liar. I live for it, you know.