Recording from an old cassette

tempo is speeding up…why?

I just purchased an m-Audio MobilePre USB (I know…I’ve read the post about USB interface) and I’m playing a cassette on a cheap Sony tape player using the Headphone jack as the output. I’m monitoring the progress in the MobilePre and everything sounds pretty good for what it is. However…when I play the track back in “n”…the track tempo is faster changing the pitch with it. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BTW… I’m running 16 bit bersion v4.0.3 Build 1746 registered on a Compaq Presario laptop w/ a P3 running at 700 Mhz (I believe) with 256 meg RAM. I relatively new to digital recording and VERY new to n-Track, however, I’m likin’ what I’m seein’ in the program…and this Forum is also a great help.

Thanks in Advance.
Wick

Wick, try Crtl + P to bring up the Preferences dialog. Go to the options tab and untick Use System Timer for both Playback and Record. You might also try setting the sample rate to 48000 while you are in Prefs. (First page)

Let us know…

TG

EDIT* I see you are using an external box. Ignore that bit about 48000 sample rate. I’m not sure what the MobilePre’s capabilities are…

Thanks gtr4him,

Who’s better’en you??

That did the trick. However, I had to raise the sample rate to 48000, at 41100 it was still speeding up on it’s own. It now sounds just like the cassette the quality of which is not that great to begin with. It’s a pleasure dealing with intelligent and patient people, not like some other forums I’ve been watching.

Thanks Again,
Wick

[quote=Wick,Feb. 03 2005,17:42][/quote]
<!–QuoteBegin>

Who’s better’en you??

Almost everybody else on here??

<!–QuoteBegin>
That did the trick. However, I had to raise the sample rate to 48000, at 41100 it was still speeding up on it’s own. It now sounds just like the cassette the quality of which is not that great to begin with. It’s a pleasure dealing with intelligent and patient people, not like some other forums I’ve been watching.

Thanks Again,
Wick

Thanks for the undeserved compliments and you are very welcome. There are lotso’ nice, knowledgable dudes (and dudettes?) on here. Make yourself at home bro’!

TG

Gee, I’m surprised. I wouldn’t expect the Mobile Pre to have this problem. This problem is typical for cards that use 48k internally and convert on-the-fly to other rates. A quality device like the Mobile Pre should work at the rate you specify and not have to convert.

Any input from Mobile Pre owners?

Are you sure you’re not accidentally using a SoundBlaster Live card? :wink:

Wick,

I looked up the MobilePre. It’s native format is 16/48. I would use that to record with. Just remember to mixdown at 16/44.1 to burn to CD.

TG

Learjet…I’m recording on a Compaq 1700 laptop using the usb input, but the native soundcard is on the Motherboatd. But Thanks.

gtr4him…Thanks for that tip…However, I did not change the settings back to 41100 to mixdown and burnt the CD. It didn’t sound bad at all considering the source was terrible to begin with. But I’ll try the change and do another mixdown.

Both of you guys…thanks a lot for the info.

Wick