Remember folks.....what goes around comes around

ageism WTF!!!

I have been without a band since April and have done 2-3 since January. (Last year I did 36 gigs in 12 months).

Earlier this week I had arranged an audition with a local band with high ambitions, but had to cancel it due to my work premises being robbed and myself having to attend to assist police and help sort stuff out. When I phoned to to cancel and explain he seemed ok but hasnt returned my calls or emails since. The guys in the band were all younger than me.

It was my 30th b’day yesterday. Whenever I look on the internet for bands seeking musicians nearly all of them want someone under the age of 25… What is it with these people????? All I wanna do is play some cool tunes in some cool venues for some cool music loving people. Im a much better player/performer than I was 5 yrs ago, and Ive also got much better gear than I had back then. but after a few months of looking I seem destined for playing in a classic rock covers band down my local pub.

Check out indie band Kings Of Leon… I brought their first album 5/6yrs ago and saw them twice when they first came over to the UK. They had long beards, long hair, dressed for themselves, and to me seemed really cool. They remained relativly unknown for a couple of yrs ago untill they shaved all their hair off, dressed in nice clean clothes and put on a nice scarf. Now im surrounded by screaming 18yr old students claiming that KOL are the greatest new band ever. I went one of their gigs earlier this year and most of the kids around me didnt have a clue about their earlier material, which in my opinion is much better and far less commercial than the last two albums.

This months edition of sound on sound magazine includes a piece by editor paul white about how we should use our ears more and rely less on our eyes. how true.

am I just feelin sorry for myself cos I’m getting older or do I have a valid point about how useless the music industy and all the “scenesters” who claim to be muso’s

:disagree:

Well being almost twice your age I hear you from a different perspective. All I know is I think I’m better now than ever. Only thing now is I don’t care what other people think. Liberating actually. If I had had that way of thinking when I was 30…? Who knows.

It’s easy when we start our first bands.
Those usually considting of friends from school and hometown pals.
But then it gets hard!
I feel for ya bud, there is nothing easy about it.
30 isn’t at all old so get that idea out of your head completely!

I have the same problem.
I figure I’m to ugly, to old, to small, to stupid, not a good enough player, to rude, to bossy, to serious, to goofy, to single, to bald, to fat, to whatever.

Ok ok, so I passed on a bunch of players.
So that makes me to picky!
:laugh: Besides that, who knows what’s happening behind the scenes!
When it seems like it’s your fault for one reason or another, just focus on your music and stick to your guns and DON’T compramise your beliefs!
You’ve got a realy classy sound.
A player would have to be a fool and or delusional to pass on you.

The only logical way to do it is to have a payroll.
Audition a bunch, with video and audio captures to study.
Make your pick then put them to work doin it your way or they loose their pay check. They’ll be linin up to kiss your butt then!

Quote:

Whenever I look on the internet for bands seeking musicians nearly all of them want someone under the age of 25

true in this area too. this is because the bands are seeking someone reliable and mature, and don't want to deal with the flighty, immature, law-abiding crap that older musicians bring.

The underlying issue is that the older you get the less time you can put into being a full time member of a band with no strings.

The sign to look for? Buying major appliances. Have you forked over for a refrigerator or washer yet? If not you’re still in the band member gene pool.

I think you can see how a steady woman might enter into that picture.

:laugh:

heheee - couldn’t help myself - had to dig up this Washer & Dryer:agree:

you do sound a lot different after your ‘medical experiments.’

you know i’m jumpin’ all over that for ‘the small hours.’

Yep, new strings or baby formula . . . duh, that’s a no brainer.

Lost 2 drummers in the 70’s to knocked up girl friends.

Man, you nailed the problem. I’m a better performer now than I ever was, but NO ONE wants to play with some guy who is knocking on 50.

BTW, I only look about 40 or so.

Total drag.

Oh, BTW - HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Get any good toys?
:agree:

Edit: I gave you a 5 rating, so that should make you feel better. Look out for these other dudes (like my dated language?), they are likely to attack that brilliant “5” you now have. Jealous of the younger set and all.

alfieralph,

Whats stopping you from starting a band, holding auditions, picking who you want?

Awhile ago…uuhhmm, in my late 30s, I wanted to get back out and play. But I didn’t want to do the type of stuff I was hearing being played around the area, and all adds for audition ask for someone under 30. SO screw it…put my own thing together.

Sometimes when you need a helping hand the best place to look is at the end of your own arm!

Duff

Quote:

Whats stopping you from starting a band, holding auditions, picking who you want?

Awhile ago...uuhhmm, in my late 30s, I wanted to get back out and play. But I didn't want to do the type of stuff I was hearing being played around the area, and all adds for audition ask for someone under 30. SO screw it...put my own thing together.

Sometimes when you need a helping hand the best place to look is at the end of your own arm!

some of the best advice that's been given in quite some time.

Here in Flint the problem is that the only music anyone plays is either hip hop (nothing against it but I don’t really groove on that usually) and dinosaur rock - “Land of 1000 Cover Bands” – ooh, that’s my next 50/90 song… :laugh:

thanks guys,

I do actually need to buy a new fridge but I brought a new mic, upgraded my daw, soundcard, monitors and a small desk instead, hehe. :laugh:

I guess your right about the band situation, the only person stopping me is myself. I have tried a few times in the past but never seem to get anywhere and have always had to join somebody elses band in the end.

I understand that the yonger guys may think that anybody over a certain age may be tied down n stuff, but that aint true for me. My family know how much my music means to me and know that I dont let home stuff get in the way. If I could just get a foot in the door, the younger guys would see that. I dont even look 30, it just frustrates me so much sometimes that I feel like selling my gear takin up golf.

As for women, they ALWAYS manage to interfere with the band thing. I was once in a really good band that was offered a tour around spain and germany for a week or two. We were all well up for it but the singer g/f wouldnt allow him to go… The last band I was in also suffered from an interfering g/f dictating (not my g/f)what songs went into the set and what new stuff we were learnin.

As for birthday presents, I got a DI box and a tambourine.

Which DI?

my g/f brought me a behringher ultra di600p

She said it was the first one she saw on amazon. Ive never used a di before so I may have a play with this during my next project song.

Quote: (alfieralph @ Jul. 10 2009, 12:25 PM)

I have been without a band since April and have done 2-3 since January. (Last year I did 36 gigs in 12 months).

Earlier this week I had arranged an audition with a local band with high ambitions, but had to cancel it due to my work premises being robbed and myself having to attend to assist police and help sort stuff out. When I phoned to to cancel and explain he seemed ok but hasnt returned my calls or emails since. The guys in the band were all younger than me.

It was my 30th b'day yesterday. Whenever I look on the internet for bands seeking musicians nearly all of them want someone under the age of 25..... What is it with these people????? All I wanna do is play some cool tunes in some cool venues for some cool music loving people. Im a much better player/performer than I was 5 yrs ago, and Ive also got much better gear than I had back then. but after a few months of looking I seem destined for playing in a classic rock covers band down my local pub.

Check out indie band Kings Of Leon.... I brought their first album 5/6yrs ago and saw them twice when they first came over to the UK. They had long beards, long hair, dressed for themselves, and to me seemed really cool. They remained relativly unknown for a couple of yrs ago untill they shaved all their hair off, dressed in nice clean clothes and put on a nice scarf.
Now im surrounded by screaming 18yr old students claiming that KOL are the greatest new band ever. I went one of their gigs earlier this year and most of the kids around me didnt have a clue about their earlier material, which in my opinion is much better and far less commercial than the last two albums.

This months edition of sound on sound magazine includes a piece by editor paul white about how we should use our ears more and rely less on our eyes. how true.

am I just feelin sorry for myself cos I'm getting older or do I have a valid point about how useless the music industy and all the "scenesters" who claim to be muso's

:disagree:

What's the big deal, bro. When you reach 30+, you get to sit around with your balding musician buddies and jam to Def Leppard tunes, drink Pabst Blue Ribbon, share hot smokey bodaceous farts and whine about the economy. What could be better, mang? :laugh:

now you come to mention it :p

PABST?!?!?

Ug.

We used to think it was a step up from “Black Death” - AKA Black Label…but slightly better than Old Swillwaukee…