Replacing drums in Ntrack

It has to be easier…

I’ve recorded my drums to separate tracks and I want to replace a kick. I’ve never done this before although I’ve successfully created good drumtracks in Fruity Loops.

What I thought I’d do is to turn my kick track into midi info that I can then import into Fruity Loops, trigger a decent kick sample and then export this as a wave file back into Ntrack. There are other ways, like using midi to play a sample in real time, but that’s a jar of worms I havent opened yet.

I’ve just got hold of the KTdrumtrigger plugin. It looks simple enough. I dropped it on the kick channel, and then, um, then what? I tried creating a midi track and recording the kick channel to that and N ignored it and recorded two blank audio tracks underneath it.

If anyone has worked out a way of doing this then I’d love to hear. I havent used midi in ntrack before so I might be missing someting obvious. ( I didn’t play to a click track, so quantising is out ).

Cheers

Spooner.

Hi Spooner; I have had good results using SuperEel, a free plug-in that converts audio signals to midi files. It only works well with one instrument at a time, but is pretty good with kick tracks. If there is much noise on the track besides the kick, you might want to edit the track with a gate first, to keep the plug-in from getting confused…

Good luck!

'til next;
tony w

Hey thx tw!
I might use that for my bass guitar on some of my older tracks.

gluck spooner!
ndrummer could also make a kick track for you.

Quote: (spooner @ Aug. 17 2009, 7:27 AM)

I've just got hold of the KTdrumtrigger plugin. It looks simple enough. I dropped it on the kick channel, and then, um, then what? I tried creating a midi track and recording the kick channel to that and N ignored it and recorded two blank audio tracks underneath it.

It has been so long since I used N, I could be way off here, but so far as I know, there is no way to route MIDI between tracks in N. That said, go get the Maple MIDI driver. It will create virtual MIDI ports allowing a loop back. So you would output to Maple Port 1 and then set a track in N to record from MIDI Maple Port 1.

http://www.maplemidi.com/Maple_driver.html

This is about all you can do in N so far as I can remember.

Short of that... I have significantly faster and easier ways to do this... but it will require you to take a trip to the daRk side.
Quote: (Bubbagump @ Aug. 17 2009, 10:25 AM)

I could be way off here, but so far as I know, there is no way to route MIDI between tracks in N. That said, go get the Maple MIDI driver.

You can route MIDI to VST's if they allow it, which I imagine a drumtrigger would. just select the midi out like you would a vsti and if the plugin shows up in option you can use it.

the darkside is fun but eventually you just import everything back into the light so you can see better at least.

I could be way off here, but so far as I know, there is no way to route MIDI between tracks in N. That said, go get the Maple MIDI driver.

You can route MIDI to VST's if they allow it, which I imagine a drumtrigger would.
just select the midi out like you would a vsti and if the plugin shows up in option you can use it.

the darkside is fun but eventually you just import everything back into the light so you can see better :)
Quote: (nramusic @ Aug. 17 2009, 10:33 AM)

You can route MIDI to VST's if they allow it, which I imagine a drumtrigger would.
just select the midi out like you would a vsti and if the plugin shows up in option you can use it.

But doesn't the MIDI have to be recorded first? I don't remember the N way much... so like I said, grain of salt. Though thinking about it... yeah. I think you can just set the track to output to a plugin.

If your drums are individual tracks (audio) I’ve used this plug with different wave samples (kicks, snares etc etc) to replace the track I had.

http://www.hometracked.com/2007…eplacer