ReWire - Still having problems

Maybe I’m dumb :slight_smile:

Hi-

I have still not had success interfacing my DrumCore software to n-Track with ReWire. I’m able to launch DrumCore from within ReWire, but I haven’t figured out if it’s possible to do things like use the midi piano roll within n-Track and get the drum sound samples from the DrumCore software.

Does anyone have a lot of experience with this and be willing to offer a little more hand-holding? I at least want to know if it’s a glitchy thing with n-Track or if it’s just me needing to learn more. I have the possibility of trying out Sonar, and I was thinking it might be worth at least seeing if it comes together easier there. But I don’t want to end up having to purchase Sonar unless my options have run out.

Thanks for any thoughts. Sorry for being kind of vague.

I think you’re barking up the wrong tree here. Basically, using Rewire, you set up the Drumcore software (which I assume is a sequencer that plays samples?) with the correct sequences/samples, so that it can play your drum track autonomously to n-track, then you link to n-track to control tempo and to feed the Drumcore outputs into the n-track inputs. If you just want to trigger Drumcore 's samples from the piano roll, then standard midi will probably achieve this.

Quote (jmccullo @ Feb. 17 2006,03:21)
I think you're barking up the wrong tree here. Basically, using Rewire, you set up the Drumcore software (which I assume is a sequencer that plays samples?) with the correct sequences/samples, so that it can play your drum track autonomously to n-track, then you link to n-track to control tempo and to feed the Drumcore outputs into the n-track inputs. If you just want to trigger Drumcore 's samples from the piano roll, then standard midi will probably achieve this.

Thanks for the response. One of the things I'm having trouble with is figuring out how to feed the DrumCore outputs into the n-track inputs. When I have them talking via Rewire, I have a mixer channel that is the ReWire signal. And I can see the Drumcore signal on the Playback and Master VU meters. But I couldn't figure out how to route that output to be recordable in n-track.

With respect to the second part, triggering Drumcore's samples from the piano roll... I wasn't sure how to set that up either.

I am able to drag & drop samples from Drumcore to n-track just fine, but that's not the best way because then I need to cut and paste the sample over and over to fill up the timeline, as opposed to just letting the sample run and record.

Thanks!

If you can see the Drumcore outputs as a signal in the Rewire mixer section, then you’ve basically done it. If you click on where it says [ReWire] on the mixer channel, then you can route this to your soundcard outputs so that you can hear it. When you do a mixdown, the signal will be recorded like all the others wavs, VSTis, etc. in ntrack. If you wanted to get fancy, and if Drumcore supports it, you can have multiple outputs from Drumcore into n-track via ReWire. This would enable you, for example, to have a ReWire channel for each drum sound so that you could add effects/change volume/change pan settings from n-track without having to worry about going back to Drumcore to change these things.

In terms of the midi thing, you basically need to have Drumcore and n-track running at the same time, then use a midi loopback driver to use n-track to trigger Drumcore.

The ReWire way should be much easier to implement and much more flexible - the piano roll isn’t a particularly good interface for drum programming.