Ripped off online

what can I do?

I repsonded to a post at a pro audio list advertising a manual I want. We exchanged info, I sent along a money order, and was told that it would be mailed soon. Then I was told that he had to have his intern sort out all the manuals, and that was going to take a while. After a couple of weeks I was told that he was still sorting, but when I suggested a refund, he said OK. Then he said it was on its way, now 6 weeks later nothing. What do you guys do about this sort of thing? I don’t want to mess around with legal action if I don’t have to, but I will if need be. We’re not talking a lot of money, I am just really pissed off. In 5 years of buying stuff on line person to person, this is the first time this has happened. So, suggestions? :angry:

Unfortunately, there’s not alot you can do that’s worth your time. You can file fraud complaints at various agencies but that will take forever. Keep bugging the seller about it.

Tell Rip on prorec.com about it. Get him to kick this seller off.

BTW - where did you see this on prorec.com? I used to advertise on there but he doesn’t seem to have the facility anymore?

Do you have a phone number? If you can manage to get one, it is amazing what a daily phone call will accomplish. Persistance pays off. Of course, you have to weigh the value of your time.

If you have a name and you can find a phone number and/or address, it is incredible what the person just knowing you have that can accomplish sometimes. In this great age of the Internet, a little publicity is cheap and can do tremendous damage.

Good luck. Sorry about finding a turd out there.

OK, there is some kind of magic in the air, I have been at this fellow about the manual or a refund for weeks and weeks, and guess what just showed up in my mail box today when I got home from work? The refund. I’m going to choose to believe that the fellow was just honest and over worked and forgetful. I don’t think the fact that I mentioned a stint in the county prosecutor’s office motivated him at all. At least, I choose to believe that it had nothing to do with it.

Anyway, here I was griping about it, while waiting at home was the money. :)

Bump

Bump