Samson mics

Any comments or experiences?

Samson condensor mics, eg C01…

They’re very cheap. Are they any good?

Any comments or real world experience?

TIA

Mark

All I’ve tried are the dynamics, R11 and R21. Not great. Better than Nady. But this says nothing about the C01, sorry…

ugh ugh ugh…ugh ugh…ugh ugh…ugh ugh ugh…
ugh ugh :D :D

I don’t know about the C01 but a sound man used the dynamics on my drummers kit one time. It was probably the first time I had ever heard a $2200.00 kit sound so bad :(
Look at the Rode mics. I have a couple of the NT1’s and NT2’s.The nt1’s are bright and airy and the 2’s have a little more classic mid range honk(the lows are pretty smoothe) Check ebay because these mics have been updated with newer models and these are probably pretty cheap.

I’ve got the R21 dynamics, and they’re not much chop - lightweight, they do the job, but that’s about it.

I did read a review of the C01 somewhere, might have been Audiotechnology, where they said it was alright, but again, nothing overly impressive. Probably not the first mic they would turn to for most applications, I think they said.

I have a C01. As mentioned above, it’s OK… with a somewhat warm flavor. I certainly don’t think it’s a dog, but in the same price range I think the MXL 990 is a better mic.

Thanks guys… just the sort of information I was looking for.

Limey - I tried bablefish to translate your answer to no avail! It seems you have regressed to cockney caveman, but I get the general idea.

I’ve already got the MXL990, and was just looking for something else. Looks like I’ll have to save my pennies for a bit longer. I’ll perhaps aim at the NT1a.

Any comments on the Behringer condensors?

Mark

Hi Mark,

It appears that the performance varies quite a bit from mic to mic for all of the Chinese made condensers. I guess that’s why there’s such a difference of opinion concerning the quality of these mics. Another mic to consider in this under $100 price range is the Oktava 319, currently on sale at Guitar Center for $70. I’ll be glad to pick one up and send it to you if you like.

Any comments on the Behringer condensors

Bill might be the one to ask about that iirc. I'll go another vote for an NT1, love mine, the NT1a is supposed to be even better.

I like my oktava 219’s. They are towards the dark side but good for scratchy vocalist. I picked up 2 for $105 on ebay.

Someone a while back posted a series of comparisons with a range of LD mics, including berry, Studio Projects B1 and C1 (is that right?), Neumann…I remember thinking the berry sounded like carboard. FWIW. :)

Hi Mark,

It appears that the performance varies quite a bit from mic to mic for all of the Chinese made condensers. I guess that's why there's such a difference of opinion concerning the quality of these mics. Another mic to consider in this under $100 price range is the Oktava 319, currently on sale at Guitar Center for $70. I'll be glad to pick one up and send it to you if you like

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the offer, I'll PM you. Have you tried the Oktava mic? The're not that easily come by over here.

Mark