Searching for a convinient way..

Hey guys,

need help here.

Here is my predicament.

I book gigs and the drummer does not show for whatever reason.

How I have dealt with this in the past is used a CD of drum tacks to play along with.
The problem with this is I am then reliant on the sound guys to cue the right track, there is down time delay.
Also, this is often a spur of the moment event, where we were all set up to play and something unexpected happens and someone does not make it on time. (could be bass player too in this project)
Then there is the sound quality, since there is often no time for a sound check and the volume just goes out at whatever the CD volume of the set up is, if they even have a CD set up.

SO, what I am searching for is a portable device that I can possible plug into an XLR plug from the stage and be able to control what is going to the board.
I have a suspicion there is technology like this in place I just do not know what it would be called or where to look.
There are Mp3 players, and these little Flash cards etc…

I don’t want to have to set up a whole lap top computer to play a song, just a single track of accompaniment (either bass, drums, or both) on the fly and be able to control which track at what time from the stage without involving the house CD player.

Any suggestions?

keep shinin

jerm :cool:

This looks like it will do the job GNX4

I really didn’t know what I was looking for.

It only allows mp3 playback but unless I find one that does a lossless playback this is what is out now.

keep shinin

That’s out of my comfort zone Jerm… if the drummer don’t show I don’t play. If the bass player is a no show I play bass.

Glad you got it figured out. I didn’t really have an answer for you.

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Jan. 17 2009, 9:44 AM)

That's out of my comfort zone Jerm... if the drummer don't show I don't play. If the bass player is a no show I play bass.

Yeah I know but don't like to disappoint the fans.

People came to see a show, and some of them have waited a long time to see.

Plus you don't sell any CD's or T's if you announce they all came out to see you for nothing.

The show must go on, even if I convert to an "unplugged" set, I would want something to accompany it, keys, drums, etc. and this thing puts out synth drums or any other midi file I would need.

It is not that easy to get or keep a drummer to play this type of music (ministry) when some of the gigs are free, church's etc they like to get paid.

All I am trying to achieve is having gigs and keeping them regardless and I am perfectly comfortable with playing along to a kick azz drum track from a real drummer.

keep shinin'

Hi Jeremy,
I’ve been used for such a gig. I went in with the idea of jam’n with this band. Little did I know that they where using me to complete the band for the gig that night.

You could just use the gig for auditions.

Just get a religious drumer.

Quote: (kevinmyers @ Jan. 17 2009, 9:54 AM)

Glad you got it figured out. I didn't really have an answer for you.

I know, :D

The only down side as I said with this device is that it does not allow wav. or another lossless format to be played back.
I don't mind using the MP3's but if I record the live tracks on stage while playing along to an MP3 backing track then take those stage tracks back into the studio(to make like a "live at Apollo" disk) they will not line up with the originals, the timing will be off.
Also the thing only records in 44.1k Cd quality which to me would not capture the ambiance of a live performance.

One neat thing tho about it is that I could in theory build a song live on the stage as I go using the built in midi drums, and 8 available tracks, I could set down a rhythm, bass, and let them loop and proceed to singing and lead, which is great when we are suddenly inspired to spontaneous praise. (when they say encore and all you had was a set ready)

keep shinin'

Quote: (Levi @ Jan. 17 2009, 3:41 PM)

Had one, but his job was playing drums (no day job) so as much as he enjoyed the music and being part of ministry he had to feed his family.

My area is not a hot bead for available musicians, add in the narrowed down genre and you are looking a very small selection and of those few even less that can do this for little or nothing.

I just want to be prepared either way, if things take off to the point it becomes full time and will pay well plenty of people will be suddenly available.....but in the in between times I still want to stay active and gig....

keep shinin

Quote: (jeremysdemo @ Jan. 17 2009, 3:55 PM)

Had one, but his job was playing drums (no day job) so as much as he enjoyed the music and being part of ministry he had to feed his family.

My area is not a hot bead for available musicians, add in the narrowed down genre and you are looking a very small selection and of those few even less that can do this for little or nothing.

I just want to be prepared either way, if things take off to the point it becomes full time and will pay well plenty of people will be suddenly available.....but in the in between times I still want to stay active and gig....

keep shinin

Right! I can't say use a machine, I feel silly using those for anything other than practice. But that's just me. Good luck buddy, I would go solo or maybe it's worth it to you in the long run to pay a drummer a little anyway.
Quote: (Levi @ Jan. 17 2009, 4:02 PM)

Quote: (jeremysdemo @ Jan. 17 2009, 3:55 PM)

keep shinin

Right! I can't say use a machine, I feel silly using those for anything other than practice. But that's just me. Good luck buddy, I would go solo or maybe it's worth it to you in the long run to pay a drummer a little anyway.

Well technically it is not "machine" drums, it is real acoustic drum tracks that were played by a person being cued by a device.

I can pay drummers, and even have one on the side, but things still happen like scheduling conflicts with another band that is full time paying him.
Also the device would be used to cue other tracks even when a drummer shows up, keyboards, bass, etc. etc.

keep shinin