show your studio

woxnerw,
That’s funny. I just bought a camera while on vacation and it happens to be a Fuji s3100. Simple to use.
So there’s a better then 50% chance that I’ll post some pictures of my studio in the next several days when I get home. I know you’ll all be waiting eagerly

Hi true north:
Those Fuji cameras have a pretty nice lense on them. I think that it was the lense that attracted me to that camera. However, I only still use the AUTO position yet, till I discover just how all the features work. The S3000 camera that I got came from Future Shop…

Two days later I was in Staples to get a memory card reader and sure enough, there was the S3100 on display. However, the price wasn’t posted. The young fellow there didn’t know the price, but guessed it was in the order of 399.00 . The S3000, along with the accessories I picked up ran me in the order of 360.00

The issue I have, and, with my setup, I am unable to use the download wizzard to aquire the photo files from the camera to the computer… That’s why I got a memory card reader/writer… The nice thing about the card reader/writer is, It is able to recoginize 12 types of memory cards and they can be used as portable/removable drives for storing any type of information…

The limitation of the S3000 with regards to memory storage is, 512 megs. and , no audio capture… The S3000 comes with a Lense Adaptor Ring… I’m gonna be looking into that feature, as to seeing how that might expand the focus capabilities of the camera…

I think I’ll google up the S3100 camera and have a peek at it’s specs… You’re gonna be liking that camera, I know… :;):

Bill…

Yes, I’m pretty happy with the Fuji so far but I still haven’t posted photos of my studio yet. I’m still trying to get my life back in order after vacation. I also had trouble with the photo viewer software that came with the camera. I ended up aquiring the pictures onto a HPphoto type viewer that was already on my inlaws laptop. It worked fine. I’ll post again when I try it at home and get my studio photos on.

The issue I have, and, with my setup, I am unable to use the download wizzard to aquire the photo files from the camera to the computer.. That's why I got a memory card reader/writer.. The nice thing about the card reader/writer is, It is able to recoginize 12 types of memory cards and they can be used as portable/removable drives for storing any type of information..

Most digital cameras I've used mount the memory as a mass storage device, so if you went to my computer and removable (if it is xp) there will be an extra drive (randomly named something like f:, or g: or whatever) and you can just double click on that and drag and drop to your hearts content.

I encourage my family and friends to use their cameras and mp3 plyers in this way since most of the software that comes with them is convaluted and nearly useless.

Hi Guys:
I KkNnOoWw… lol… It’s a little O/T, but we got to get our setups Photo’d… so we can show our audio friends, How-and-What we use, to make our audio tracks…

I’ll just say this about the Fuji FinePix Camera… I “Googel’ed” for “Fuji Aquire Issues”… We are not alone with this software issue… But I’m O.K. with the “Work-around” I use… The camera is still great…

The difference between the S3000 and S3100 cameras is… The S3000 has a 3.2 mega pixel reselution, and the S3100 has a 4 mega pixel reselution image reproduction…

I’ll be looking for more setup photos from all you guys…

Bill…

Ok so I have some pictures of my studio and I want to post them (I know everyone has been so eager to see them too) but I’ve never done it before on this forum. When I click the “Image” button it asks for a URL. Does this mean I have to put my pictures up on a website somewhere before I can post them here? I don’t have a web site so I’m not sure how to procede.

Yes … just host your pictures on a site like Photobucket.com (free) and copy the URL provided by photobucket to the forum’s image dialog window for the insertion of images to your posts.

Well…here goes The pictures are of my two room area. On one side I have the control counter with mixer and computor. The other two pictures are of the recording room with some studio foam, drum kit, a few microfoam stands etc…

True north, excuse my french but thats f*cking brilliant! How are the acoustics? Not to bright with wood walls are they? What are the dimensions of the recording booth?

The accoustics seem OK but I only record drums and vocals accoustically.Everything else I try to route direct input. The back wall that is covered with the most foam is poured concrete so that tended to echo until we foamed it. The recording room is 10x12ft. It was a spare bedroom in the basement but we weren’t using anymore so I talked my wife into letting me convert it and put a window in the wall.
I’m not sure why the bottom two pictures on my post are so blurry. They were ok on my computor.

Hi there !

This be my little place …

Full view from the door.

My DAW with the PC180 in the front

My Spirit Folio Lite. In the background is the little box that I made to make connecting to the M-Audio Delta 1010Lt a little easier.
No hum in spite of the walwarts being just next to it.

This is what makes some sounds…

The Fender accoustic, and the Epi Les Paul

My modified Cort StatII that now have two ibanez Iceman humbuckers in it, a Fender scratchplate, and the middle tone is actually a 4 way rotary
switch that coiltap the humbuckers to be singlecoil. The blade switch is 3way. This started as a regular whitefaced S-S-S StatII …

Some old 196x valve amp that I got from a friend for almost free - awesome …

The Marshall

Us being busy over the weekend (Recording a demo cd for the my church’s band) Notice the app running on the PC …
That’s me - the hairy one on the left …

And lastly, the studio dogs… Every home studio needs a pet right ?

W.

Here’s the new place. I just moved to a loft with nice high ceilings and the improvemant in the drum sound has been really noticeable.

Wihan & Tome: Nice pictures!

Wihan, for any reason this drum kit looks familiar to me… :wink:

Great, Tom!

Hey, did you ever consider building another drum sample set, but with velocity layers this time? If you record the samples, I’ll wrap 'em up into a soundfont. I really dig your sample kit but don’t use it because of the lack of layers. It would be a bit of work, but once again you’d be famous (gee, your second 15 minutes!) Plus I bet they’d sound great with the high ceiling. :D

I’ve actually done that by hand with selected samples and Cool Edit to get about ten different volume levels, for use with sample replacer software.

Its a bt of a hassle to do, so I just have about 8 or 10 snares that way and the same variety of kicks.

I open a sample in Cool Edit, normalize it to 99%, 95%, 90%, 85%, 80% etc. This gives me the same sound at variations of loud and soft and doesn’t sound roboto. Plus, I have the original snare and kick blending in through the open tom mic etc, so its a very natural type sound.

Wihan, for any reason this drum kit looks familiar to me

Hahahaha - i think everyone had enough of that, that's why i didn't ellaborate too much !

Tom - awesome !
Look at all that space !

Wow ! It looks really nice.

W.

Not the same thing at all, Tom! Just bundling the samples into a soundfont will do the same thing. I don’t just want the same sound at different volumes, I want the sound of the instrument struck at different velocities. Very, very different. Three levels would be good for most instruments, but more for kick, snare, and hihat (those being the important core of a kit anyway). Also, for snare, I’d want separate samples for right hand and left-hand strikes, to map to different keys. (Really, just struck in different spots, one more toward the rim than the other.)

C’mon, don’t you want a big project for your nice new studio?

Jeez, the one thing I’ve noticed about all pics is that everyone’s studio is nice and neat, mines a pig sty! Did you guys like clean up before you took the pics or what?
If my studio was cleaned we might find where Jimmy Hoffa is buried LOL. :D

You obviously havn’t looked closely at mine …
:p

BTW - True North - If I have the space, I’ll want something like you’ve got.

That is really awesome

Wihan

I understand Jeff. Different volume hits recorded originally that way have subtle differences in timbre and pitch. The attack of the note is different.

That’s just how I dealt with what I have, to make it sound more realistic than before. I don’t think the kit in my space is up to snuff, old heads etc. for fresh sample tracking though.